Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Vikes Take LB at 12 - Will We All Be Suprised?

Doing some research and listening to "Path to the Draft" on NFLN and something went "Ping" in my pea brain......

Would the BPA at 12, atleast on the Vikings board, be a LB? Say perhaps the 2nd best LB in the draft (from our good friends at CDS Draft)...........

#1 Von Miller DE Texas A&M 6ft 2.5in 237 4.50
    #2 Aldon Smith DE Missouri 6ft 3.7in 253 4.75
    #3 Justin Houston DE Georgia 6ft 3.0in 255 4.70
    #4 Akeem Ayers LB UCLA 6ft 2.4in 254 4.80
    #5 Bruce Carter LB North Carolina 6ft 1.4in 241 4.40
    #6 K.J. Wright LB Mississippi State 6ft 3.1in 250 4.59
    OLB Rankings

I know, to some that would sound silly, but if you think about it isn't really that to far fetched.......

a. QB - Most pressing need. None worth taking at 12.
    b. DT - Darius, the only 0 tech NT will be gone. Paea, next one of that ilk would be a reach.
    c. CB - Unless there is a run at QB (3) in the top 10, both QB's will be gone.
    d. OT - Top 12 are, by most boards, rated below 15 and sliding.
    e. WR - They tagged Rice. No WR is good enough to go here unless you really like "Hankerson" (and I really really do by the way).
    f. Surely you wouldn't take Ingrim here.

I tell ya right now, if it isn't a suprise like Wisniewski at Center, then I think we are gonna see a OLB added to the roster.

Perhaps an Aldon Smith.

Strengths
    Outstanding natural athlete with an NFL pass rusher build. Long arms and big hands which he uses well to keep blockers off of his body. Explosive off of the ball and fast in pursuit with an excellent closing burst. Protects his legs well and is hard to knock off his feet. Sheds well and stays alive in plays. Dynamic pass rusher who can turn the corner. Times his stunts very well and gets pressure up the interior. Lines up at DT on passing downs and will occasionally stand up as an OLB and drop in coverage. Plays with leverage and holds his ground vs. TEs & Fullbacks and is solid versus the run. Plays hard all the time and has great upside. Has the frame to add more size/strength.
    Weaknesses
    Lean for a DE and doesn't have much experience as a LB, to which he's suited. Strong but not big enough to stand in versus OTs. Lacks polish as a pass rusher and must improve his technique and develop a counter move inside. Talented but raw.
    Projection
    Mid-first round pick as a pass rushing DE/OLB with tremendous potential. Will contribute immediately as a situational pass rusher.
    Aldon Smith

Could you imagine this guy on one side (Sam) with EJ in the Middle (Mike) (heck even Jasper) and Chad on the other side (Wil)

All the discussion between who needs to be upgrade on defense (DL or DB's) would be an after thought.

Anyway, just something else to throw out there into the mix that we don't really hear alot about with respect to what the Vikes might do at 12.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikes Take LB at 12 - Will We All Be Suprised?

Don't know enough about the LB's in this class, but there are definitely worse players we could pick up (Cough OT Cough)

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Wouldn't surprise me at all, I'm expecting DL or LB, that's where the talent is going to be at 12.

Unless Prince Amuka...mara? Just Prince is there, and were high on him. Or for whatever reason Julio Jones falls. I don't see there being as much talent elsewhere.... Tyron Smith at OT maybe?

DT:
    Dareus - will be gone
    Fairley - starting to think more and more he may slide
    Phil Taylor - maybe a replacement for pat, probably a reach at 12

DE:
    Bowers - gone at 12
    Quinn - probably gone at 12, I really hope he falls though
    Cam Jordan - maybe a replacement for Ray
    Ryan Kerrigan - beast, maybe not a prototypical LE (marrdo) but football players can only make plays if their on the field

And the LBs you listed, thats a lot of potential talent to add to our front 7. I think were going defense baby. D # BABY!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Well, as i said many times, they have enough holes in the roster and the draft is deep enough where they will have a shot at a player they can have in the starting lineup for the rest of the decade. They just can't afford to reach on a guy that looks good but doesn't pan out. I could really care less what position they pick to fill as long as it makes sense roster wise and that they have the staff to make them productive.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091161
    Don't know enough about the LB's in this class, but there are definitely worse players we could pick up (Cough OT Cough)
    Yea, initially I was pretty high on Solder (mostly cause of Mayock) but since I watched him at the Senior Bowl, I'm thinking OT isn't an option.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

First, Love the new avatar. B)
    Quote Originally Posted by "jessejames09" #1091162
    Wouldn't surprise me at all, I'm expecting DL or LB, that's where the talent is going to be at 12.

Unless Prince Amuka...mara? Just Prince is there, and were high on him. Or for whatever reason Julio Jones falls. I don't see there being as much talent elsewhere.... Tyron Smith at OT maybe?
    Hard to say what's gonna happen with Prince and JJ. One could be there for us, depending on what happens with the QB's.

In the end, I wouldn't be upset if they took JJ. Prince, seems to be pretty talented, but is he more talented than the youngsters we already have?

DT:
    Dareus - will be gone
    Fairley - starting to think more and more he may slide
    Phil Taylor - maybe a replacement for pat, probably a reach at 12
    Fairley could slip to us and I would be doing backflips. Not sure about Taylor. Haven't looked at him yet.

DE:
    Bowers - gone at 12
    Quinn - probably gone at 12, I really hope he falls though
    Cam Jordan - maybe a replacement for Ray
    Ryan Kerrigan - beast, maybe not a prototypical LE (marrdo) but football players can only make plays if their on the field
    I would take Jordan in an instant at 12. Problem is, you have Ray tendered and Griff behind him as the obvious replacement. No need to draft a top LDE this year. Griff should be ready by the end of the year.

And the LBs you listed, thats a lot of potential talent to add to our front 7. I think were going defense baby. D # BABY!
    Question is, will they go defense with both the first and the second?

I would love to see a LB at 12 and Paea with the second. Defensive problems solved.

Snatch a QB like Stanzi or the best Center in the 4th and work depth with the rest of your picks.

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1091168
    Well, as i said many times, they have enough holes in the roster and the draft is deep enough where they will have a shot at a player they can have in the starting lineup for the rest of the decade. They just can't afford to reach on a guy that looks good but doesn't pan out. I could really care less what position they pick to fill as long as it makes sense roster wise and that they have the staff to make them productive.
    I think we are fine when it comes to the staff, with a couple of exceptions (still unsure about Musgrove and really really really think we need to get rid of our DL coaching staff).

Ole Mayock is copying my stuff. Course he projects him to the Vikes at 12 as a DE (RDE) instead of a Sam LB'r like I do.

6'4/263lbs, sure isn't what I think of when I think of a base 4-3 LDE.

Mayocks Mock

delviking is offline Starter

Personally Id love it if JJ landed to use at 12 he ran a 4.39 at the combine with a broken foot thats just says tough and a Desire to just play football which if always welcome in this me me players that seem to show up nowadays in the first round

But i wouldnt mind a LB at 12 if its the right one

Our first pick has to be a winning pick like Peterson or Harvin.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091160
    Doing some research and listening to "Path to the Draft" on NFLN and something went "Ping" in my pea brain......

Would the BPA at 12, atleast on the Vikings board, be a LB? Say perhaps the 2nd best LB in the draft (from our good friends at CDS Draft)...........

#1 Von Miller DE Texas A&M 6ft 2.5in 237 4.50
    #2 Aldon Smith DE Missouri 6ft 3.7in 253 4.75
    #3 Justin Houston DE Georgia 6ft 3.0in 255 4.70
    #4 Akeem Ayers LB UCLA 6ft 2.4in 254 4.80
    #5 Bruce Carter LB North Carolina 6ft 1.4in 241 4.40
    #6 K.J. Wright LB Mississippi State 6ft 3.1in 250 4.59
    OLB Rankings

I know, to some that would sound silly, but if you think about it isn't really that to far fetched.......

a. QB - Most pressing need. None worth taking at 12.
    b. DT - Darius, the only 0 tech NT will be gone. Paea, next one of that ilk would be a reach.
    c. CB - Unless there is a run at QB (3) in the top 10, both QB's will be gone.
    d. OT - Top 12 are, by most boards, rated below 15 and sliding.
    e. WR - They tagged Rice. No WR is good enough to go here unless you really like "Hankerson" (and I really really do by the way).
    f. Surely you wouldn't take Ingrim here.

I tell ya right now, if it isn't a suprise like Wisniewski at Center, then I think we are gonna see a OLB added to the roster.

Perhaps an Aldon Smith.

Strengths
    Outstanding natural athlete with an NFL pass rusher build. Long arms and big hands which he uses well to keep blockers off of his body. Explosive off of the ball and fast in pursuit with an excellent closing burst. Protects his legs well and is hard to knock off his feet. Sheds well and stays alive in plays. Dynamic pass rusher who can turn the corner. Times his stunts very well and gets pressure up the interior. Lines up at DT on passing downs and will occasionally stand up as an OLB and drop in coverage. Plays with leverage and holds his ground vs. TEs & Fullbacks and is solid versus the run. Plays hard all the time and has great upside. Has the frame to add more size/strength.
    Weaknesses
    Lean for a DE and doesn't have much experience as a LB, to which he's suited. Strong but not big enough to stand in versus OTs. Lacks polish as a pass rusher and must improve his technique and develop a counter move inside. Talented but raw.
    Projection
    Mid-first round pick as a pass rushing DE/OLB with tremendous potential. Will contribute immediately as a situational pass rusher.
    Aldon Smith

Could you imagine this guy on one side (Sam) with EJ in the Middle (Mike) (heck even Jasper) and Chad on the other side (Wil)

All the discussion between who needs to be upgrade on defense (DL or DB's) would be an after thought.

Anyway, just something else to throw out there into the mix that we don't really hear alot about with respect to what the Vikes might do at 12.
    If we were going for a pass rusher I'd rather go with Jordan at end than a tweener and move him to lb in our tampa 2 defence, it might be different if we had a 3-4 d but our backers carry to high a coverage burden and I wouldn't want to try and force a guy to carry that kind of load especially if he was taking over as a replacement for Leber. It might not be as drastic as hammering a square peg in a round hole but why bang a polygon into a round hole when we have so many holes to fill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast