Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikes release Ciurciu

"CCthebest" wrote:
    Thank god, now maybe release Sapp and Tahi.
    +2
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"MaxVike" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    Although he was not worth a roster spot, he was a body who saw lots of ST time last year in Farwell's abscence.

We sure are making a lot of our own holes to fill....
    If he wasn't worth a roster spot, how are we making a lot of our own holes to fill....?

I think I hear you, here's my point.
    I think an Undrafted Free Agent (UDFA) like, perhaps, Erin Henderson, is a better choice.
    Vinny was aweful...virtually impossible not to improve upon IMO.
    Yeah that's fine, but if we wait until after the draft to start replacing these guys, it ain't going to work.

Addition by subtraction is not going to work. Ciurciu, Sapp, and Tahi are expendable, but that also means that we need UPGRADES at those positions.

If you believe that those 3 were bad at their jobs, you are really just pointing out that depth at LB, CB, and FB needs improvement. Fix it.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

"V" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    Although he was not worth a roster spot, he was a body who saw lots of ST time last year in Farwell's abscence.

We sure are making a lot of our own holes to fill....
    If he wasn't worth a roster spot, how are we making a lot of our own holes to fill....?

I think I hear you, here's my point.
    I think an Undrafted Free Agent (UDFA) like, perhaps, Erin Henderson, is a better choice.
    Vinny was aweful...virtually impossible not to improve upon IMO.
    Yeah that's fine, but if we wait until after the draft to start replacing these guys, it ain't going to work.

Addition by subtraction is not going to work. Ciurciu, Sapp, and Tahi are expendable, but that also means that we need UPGRADES at those positions.

If you believe that those 3 were bad at their jobs, you are really just pointing out that depth at LB, CB, and FB needs improvement. Fix it.
    I am not addressing CB or FB.
    I am specifically addressing how shitty Ciurcui is and that he should be gone.
    As it relates to depth at LB, you accentuate exactly my point, Vinny's performance was dreadful and virtually anyone brought in will be an UPGRADE.
    Of course we need to replace him with a LB, that's a given.

As it relates to the others, I have not, up until now, referenced nor commented on Sapp or Tahi in this "Vikes relase Ciurciu" Thread.

Also, not sure if I agree with your point that waiting until after the draft ain't gonna work.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Vinnie was supposed to be a special teams demon. He was just too slow.
    To be honest he was just one of several slugs on punt coverage.
    Our young back up players aren't very good special team players.
    And our starters who play special teams seem to only make tackles when thay have to.
    At least that's the way it appeared to me.

http://www.vikingslocker.com/2007/03/04/the-vikings-sign-lb-vinny-ciurciu/

This is another questionable signing by the Minnesota Vikings unless they just got him to play special teams.
    Ciurciu played in all 16 games last season for the Carolina Panthers and he only made 18 tackles.
    In his career, Ciurciu has played in 57 games and made 77 tackles.
    Who’s running this team?
    They better put down the crack pipe, etc.,
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Never goode enough for the contract he got, one of Ferreros guys from the Panthers, now that
    Ferrero is gone - Vinny is too

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Thank god that train left the station.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Was he a good tackler? Would he be a good backup LB if needed?
    I think we can say no to both........

Not much in the way of ST's tackles and they had to go out and get two LB'rs off the street to come in when we lost LB'rs....

On a side note, I still say that our ST's woes are more related to the plays (coverage) the ST's coach called as well as some pretty shabby kicking more than it is with respect to a guy and his tackling skills....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:

Not much in the way of ST's tackles and they had to go out and get two LB'rs off the street to come in when we lost LB'rs....

On a side note, I still say that our ST's woes are more related to the plays (coverage) the ST's coach called as well as some pretty shabby kicking more than it is with respect to a guy and his tackling skills....
    you take the devil's advocate approach on EVERYTHING!!!...
    ;D

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

you take the devil's advocate approach on EVERYTHING!!!...

;D
    I guess you can say that.
    I do like to look at things from a different view point than most.
    To date no one has been able to tell me why our defensive starters seemed to be out of place on ST's coverage, just as much as guys like Vinny.

Maybe, just mabye, there were issues with our ST's coach, the coverages he called and our kickers abilities to kick it to the spot the coverage units were supposed to be converging on.

Course, as most contend, maybe the coverage unit just runs down the field watching the ball and there is no such thing as ST's plays.

Again, my guess is they don't know much about how ST's works and have never had to run down the field to cover a punt or they would know that you don't watch the ball or someone will take your ass out as you have your eyes on the ball....... ;D ;D ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:

I agree my friend. I'm glad we have a new coach. I expect marked improvement if we have a good draft and free agency period. Good special teams players are usually inexpensive. We should be able to improve.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast