Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Vikes interested in DE Marques Douglas

"Overlord" wrote:
    I was trying to see if this rumor had gone anywhere.
    All I saw on that was more of the same: he's left Tampa and is now visiting the Titans.
    I also saw a few things that Douglas wrote.
    They're short and fairly interesting/entertaining:

Why I Play Hard for the 49ers

I remember personally, draft day. My name during that long weekend never got called. While sitting on my parents' couch in Greensboro, North Carolina, I wanted so badly for the commissioner to call my name, but that never happened.
    Here's the link to the rest of his stuff at yardbarker.com
    Holy Crap... I really like this guy after reading some of those blog entries.
    He is a guy who gets it.

ktarinze is offline Rookie

i think we should pick him up

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    All I saw on that was more of the same: he's left Tampa and is now visiting the Titans.

I remember personally, draft day. My name during that long weekend never got called. While sitting on my parents' couch in Greensboro, North Carolina, I wanted so badly for the commissioner to call my name, but that never happened.
    Holy Crap... I really like this guy after reading some of those blog entries. He is a guy who gets it.
    Agreed.
    after reading his blogs, he seems like the players i've always loved to watch, the ones who play for their love of the game.
    Now I still can't sit here and act like I know anything about him though, or say I think he'd be great here, but man, gotta love that attitude

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:

Holy Crap... I really like this guy after reading some of those blog entries. He is a guy who gets it.
    But, did you ever see him play?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"singersp" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:

That motivated me to go back and rewatch the short version of the 49ers game and take a look at this guy.
    The first thing I noticed is that he's big around the gut.
    He looks like a DT, and his 292 listing may be a little light.
    He's not quick.
    At all.
    But despite his size and the score, he was pursuing to the ball in the fourth quarter.

He played all across the line - LE, RE, DT, NT, and even a few snaps at outside linebacker when they were in a 3-4.

His playing style seemed to be a stand up and hold the point style, as opposed to an attacking/penetration style.
    He did a good job holding his spot and using his hands to keep off blocks so that he could see the play and then break to the ball carrier.

He only got a couple of tackles in this game, which wasn't a good one for him.
    In fact, looking at his stats (link) it looks like the second half of the season was much worse than the first half.
    He averaged more than 6 tackles/game in the first six games, and less than 4 tackles/game in the last ten.
    He also got 2.5 sacks in the first six games, but only 0.5 sacks the rest of the season.
    That's not a great sign, but that trend isn't apparent in his previous couple seasons.

So after watching him play, I feel about the same.
    Could be a decent player and fill a hole with Kenechi out, but he's not going to be great.
    He could also provide some depth at DT.
    He's not as good as Darrion Scott.
    But if he came cheap and we only had to make a two- or three-year commitment I would feel pretty good about it.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

i say sign em if we can get him cheap

"Overlord" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:

That motivated me to go back and rewatch the short version of the 49ers game and take a look at this guy.
    The first thing I noticed is that he's big around the gut.
    He looks like a DT, and his 292 listing may be a little light.
    He's not quick.
    At all.
    But despite his size and the score, he was pursuing to the ball in the fourth quarter.

He played all across the line - LE, RE, DT, NT, and even a few snaps at outside linebacker when they were in a 3-4.

His playing style seemed to be a stand up and hold the point style, as opposed to an attacking/penetration style.
    He did a good job holding his spot and using his hands to keep off blocks so that he could see the play and then break to the ball carrier.

He only got a couple of tackles in this game, which wasn't a good one for him.
    In fact, looking at his stats (link) it looks like the second half of the season was much worse than the first half.
    He averaged more than 6 tackles/game in the first six games, and less than 4 tackles/game in the last ten.
    He also got 2.5 sacks in the first six games, but only 0.5 sacks the rest of the season.
    That's not a great sign, but that trend isn't apparent in his previous couple seasons.

So after watching him play, I feel about the same.
    Could be a decent player and fill a hole with Kenechi out, but he's not going to be great.
    He could also provide some depth at DT.
    He's not as good as Darrion Scott.
    But if he came cheap and we only had to make a two- or three-year commitment I would feel pretty good about it.
    They do play a 3-4 scheme, so his job is usually to control his gap versus getting up the field.
    I don't think he'd be a good fit as an end in our scheme though

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

"singersp" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:

I guess I will see him play this year ;D

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"dcboardr41" wrote:
    lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast