Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Vikes interested in DE Marques Douglas

Vikings | Team may be in the mix for M. Douglas
    Mon, 10 Mar 2008 21:34:24 -0700

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

From KFFL, they also indicate that the Titans and Bucs are interested as well in the DE
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikes interested in DE Marques Douglas

He had a couple of good sack years with Baltimore, but has been pretty quite in San Fran.
    Of course, it is San Fran...

IDK, he might be a pretty decent pick up.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

I'd rather just stick with some rookies or make a trade for a stud DE.
    I'm sick of signing these 2nd and 3rd tier DE's >
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    He had a couple of good sack years with Baltimore, but has been pretty quite in San Fran.

Depth at LDE...... ;D

Seriously though, 71 tackles and 3 sacks isn't that bad when you are looking at LDE.

I know alot of people want/crave a guy that is gonna get you 10 or 15 sacks but typically your gonna see that from your RDE and not a LDE in this scheme.

Looks like he can make a tackle, has the beef to hold/contain the end and maybe still has enough speed to get to the QB if he has a TE blocking him. Probably not the best guy on the block but it would give some depth behind Mitchell and would allow a bit of flexibility with the first pick.

Kindof reading between the lines here, but he has been in the league 8 years.
    Signing a guy like him doesn't really hold true to the normal FA this staff likes to sign (coming off their first contract). Could this be an indicator that they are looking for a guy that will only hold the fort until Keneche comes back.
    ;D

http://www.nfl.com/players/marquesdo...e?id=DOU543962
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

Depth at LDE...... ;D

Seriously though, 71 tackles and 3 sacks isn't that bad when you are looking at LDE.

I know alot of people want/crave a guy that is gonna get you 10 or 15 sacks but typically your gonna see that from your RDE and not a LDE in this scheme.

Looks like he can make a tackle, has the beef to hold/contain the end and maybe still has enough speed to get to the QB if he has a TE blocking him. Probably not the best guy on the block but it would give some depth behind Mitchell and would allow a bit of flexibility with the first pick.

Signing a guy like him doesn't really hold true to the normal FA this staff likes to sign (coming off their first contract). Could this be an indicator that they are looking for a guy that will only hold the fort until Keneche comes back.
    ;D

The bold is a pretty big deal for me.
    I think he would be decent.
    And at a minimum give us some more depth.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:

;D

I know he doesn't quite fit in with your idea of how the front office approaches FA Marrdo but could he be good for a a couple of years until we can get a better DE via FA - say next year - or groom a DE via this years draft. That way there might not be so much pressure on a rookie DE coming in.

As you say there is also the hope that Udeze comes back but I really wouldn't like to speculate how likely that is.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

Yeah, particularly if he is just going to be a situational/back up player... We can't get all the best available players and expect them to ride the pine.

I'd REALLY like to not have a horribly glaring need come draft day...

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

I'd never heard of this guy before, but this looks like just the kind of guy I think the Vikes should bring in.
    Maybe he's a little old, he's been playing mostly in a 3-4 scheme, and he's not a dominating presence, but he fits what we need for this year.

In my opinion, we want someone that can fill in for Kenechi Udeze for the year.
    To me, that person should be big enough to hold the point in the running game (about 290), active (gets tackles), and hopefully able to get into the backfield (sacks and QB pressures).

It looks like Douglas meets all my requirements.
    He's 6'2" and 290 lbs., which is ideal size.
    His age (30) is a minor concern - you're not getting him for more than a few years.
    Over the past 5 years (2 with the Ravens, 3 with the 49ers) he's played in all 80 games and started 78 of them.
    During that time he's averaged 64.6 tackles/year and 3.4 sacks/year.
    He's not going to be confused for Reggie White anytime soon, but at this point in free agency what can you do?

The question is how much money he would command.
    At this point you would think the numbers would be down, but at the DE position you never know.
    If I had to guess, I would think it will end up being something like $3.5-4 million/year over 3-5 years.
    If the Vikes got him, I would hope for the lower end of each of those ranges.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Blog Entries

"Overlord" wrote:

At this point you would think the numbers would be down, but at the DE position you never know.
    If I had to guess, I would think it will end up being something like $3.5-4 million/year over 3-5 years.
    Problem is that it's no secret that we are very keen to land a DE given our circumstances. With that knowledge then Douglas would be be able to push the money and contract up more than likely.

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

"Overlord" wrote:
    I'd never heard of this guy before, but this looks like just the kind of guy I think the Vikes should bring in.
    Maybe he's a little old, he's been playing mostly in a 3-4 scheme, and he's not a dominating presence, but he fits what we need for this year.

In my opinion, we want someone that can fill in for Kenechi Udeze for the year.
    To me, that person should be big enough to hold the point in the running game (about 290), active (gets tackles), and hopefully able to get into the backfield (sacks and QB pressures).

It looks like Douglas meets all my requirements.
    He's 6'2" and 290 lbs., which is ideal size.
    His age (30) is a minor concern - you're not getting him for more than a few years.
    Over the past 5 years (2 with the Ravens, 3 with the 49ers) he's played in all 80 games and started 78 of them.
    During that time he's averaged 64.6 tackles/year and 3.4 sacks/year.
    He's not going to be confused for Reggie White anytime soon, but at this point in free agency what can you do?

Okay, you all convinced me...lets give him a couple years and see what he can do in the 4-3
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast