Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikes Go After J.P. Losman?

I'm not sure about Losman. I think he's a yutz

I don't like his throwing style, or his attitude. He might be able to function, but I'm not sure if I wouldn't actually rather stick with Bollinger.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Bollinger? Eh Losman is known better for his deep balls to Evans and that would complement Barrian a lot so I would rather have Losman no doubt...Of course there's other small reasons but anything to help out our receivers in case TJack stinks or gets hurt I'm all for it and I think Losman would be the better of the two as a backup...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"cogitans" wrote:
    I'm not sure about Losman. I think he's a yutz

I don't like his throwing style, or his attitude. He might be able to function, but I'm not sure if I wouldn't actually rather stick with Bollinger.
    What Cogs said.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    No, that is not what I am saying at all. I have no desire to slowly let TJ develop either. I don't like the position the staff has left us in at QB and I am not happy with any QB they have brought in so far. I just see bringing him in as a continuation of more of the same. At this point I am not sure what they should do with the position. I would have liked them to have went after Brees their first year or even Garcia last year. Of the veterans out there none of them look like a good starting option to me.
    Very nice post/points.
    A couple of comments though.......

A.
    I don't think Bree's was really available to us as we still had Daunte as our QB with BJ as a solid backup and 2 pretty good candidates in the draft as developmental guys (Cutler/Clemens).
    I believe if you really look at the timing of it all when QB probably wasn't even an issue at that point.

b.
    The previous regime also can/should be blamed for the mess we are in at QB.
    After selecting Daunte they pretty much ignored the position with respect to drafting a guy that could learn behind Daunte in case he went nuts and wanted to return to sunny FL instead of playing for the Vikes.

c.
    I believe that the only QB that was actually available that would be a good fit for the system was Garcia or Plummer.
    Both sure were signed pretty quick by Tampa (aren't they like the new QB magnet?)

Long story short, no fan wants to sit and watch a team struggle as a young QB develops but what else is there that can be done.
    As I've stated repeatedly on here, the NFL is in dire straights when you look at the QB position these days.

This draft doesn't have any QB that could be labeled "The Guy" and has alot of guys that have potential to be "Good" QB's in the next level but all have a bit of risk.

Starters can't stay healthy and good backups are at a premium. With the extra CAP guys like Voleck/Sorgi can now be resigned by thier teams for pretty decent salaries if they are content to be career backups.

Guess the next best option is to grow your starter (much to the chagrin of the fans) and try to find a guy like Sage or Losman that could be brought in to act as backup/compete for the job.

As I've said the last few months, I am on the TJ bandwagon.
    Here's to all of us who are praying he has a good offseason, studies alot of tape and comes out a better QB next year.
    There just isn't anything else out there.
    A) I disagree, We did have the opportunity to go after brees and the Vikings were in the speculation mill of teams that he could go to. The staff just didn't go after him for whatever reason. But just because we didn't go after him that does not mean he was not available.

B) I was never a Daunte fan but before he got hurt he was signed to a long term contract, went to the pro bowl and had an MVP type season so he was going to be here for a long time. They brought in an experienced backup in Johnson who could step in and win if needed,which is exactly what he did.They did a hell of a lot more than the current group to ensure that they had a stable QB position. The draft and FA period after Culpepper was injured was the time to fix the QB situation and that was the current regime. With Tj they may have fixed it or they might have screwed the pooch. We will know this year.

C) As I said, I disagree. We could have had brees, we just didn't take him. And when we didn't, Then Cutler should have been a priority but the team screwed around and let Denver move up to get him.

Long story short the team tied their wagon to jackson two years ago when they moved up to get him and since that time they have focused on him being our long term solution. that may or may not work out in the long run but all of the decisions made since he was drafted were geared towards him being under center and they have not gone after a superior candidate and that is where we are.

I want Jackson to be the Qb this year. The staff have put their reputation on the line with him and they will sink or swim on the success he has.

We both know that they drafted a very good looking Qb last year who in the preseason displayed more poise and pocket presence than any QB who ended up on the roster but they exposed him to the market instead of exposing somebody like Bollinger or Henson,who IMO were expendable.With him on our roster(although he injured his knee) we would have a QB right now who could potentially compete if TJ doesn't pan out but now we are another year farther behind.

Who knows, maybe Kolb will go into Eagles camp and dethrone McNabb and they will release him and solve our problems but I am not holding my breath

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    No, that is not what I am saying at all. I have no desire to slowly let TJ develop either. I don't like the position the staff has left us in at QB and I am not happy with any QB they have brought in so far. I just see bringing him in as a continuation of more of the same. At this point I am not sure what they should do with the position. I would have liked them to have went after Brees their first year or even Garcia last year. Of the veterans out there none of them look like a good starting option to me.
    Very nice post/points.

A.
    I don't think Bree's was really available to us as we still had Daunte as our QB with BJ as a solid backup and 2 pretty good candidates in the draft as developmental guys (Cutler/Clemens).
    I believe if you really look at the timing of it all when QB probably wasn't even an issue at that point.

b.
    After selecting Daunte they pretty much ignored the position with respect to drafting a guy that could learn behind Daunte in case he went nuts and wanted to return to sunny FL instead of playing for the Vikes.

c.
    I believe that the only QB that was actually available that would be a good fit for the system was Garcia or Plummer.
    Both sure were signed pretty quick by Tampa (aren't they like the new QB magnet?)

Long story short, no fan wants to sit and watch a team struggle as a young QB develops but what else is there that can be done.
    As I've stated repeatedly on here, the NFL is in dire straights when you look at the QB position these days.

This draft doesn't have any QB that could be labeled "The Guy" and has alot of guys that have potential to be "Good" QB's in the next level but all have a bit of risk.

Starters can't stay healthy and good backups are at a premium. With the extra CAP guys like Voleck/Sorgi can now be resigned by thier teams for pretty decent salaries if they are content to be career backups.

Guess the next best option is to grow your starter (much to the chagrin of the fans) and try to find a guy like Sage or Losman that could be brought in to act as backup/compete for the job.

Here's to all of us who are praying he has a good offseason, studies alot of tape and comes out a better QB next year.
    A) I disagree, We did have the opportunity to go after brees and the Vikings were in the speculation mill of teams that he could go to. The staff just didn't go after him for whatever reason. But just because we didn't go after him that does not mean he was not available.

B) I was never a Daunte fan but before he got hurt he was signed to a long term contract, went to the pro bowl and had an MVP type season so he was going to be here for a long time. They brought in an experienced backup in Johnson who could step in and win if needed,which is exactly what he did.They did a hell of a lot more than the current group to ensure that they had a stable QB position. The draft and FA period after Culpepper was injured was the time to fix the QB situation and that was the current regime. With Tj they may have fixed it or they might have screwed the pooch. We will know this year.

C) As I said, I disagree. We could have had brees, we just didn't take him. And when we didn't, Then Cutler should have been a priority but the team screwed around and let Denver move up to get him.

Long story short the team tied their wagon to jackson two years ago when they moved up to get him and since that time they have focused on him being our long term solution. that may or may not work out in the long run but all of the decisions made since he was drafted were geared towards him being under center and they have not gone after a superior candidate and that is where we are.

I want Jackson to be the Qb this year. The staff have put their reputation on the line with him and they will sink or swim on the success he has.

We both know that they drafted a very good looking Qb last year who in the preseason displayed more poise and pocket presence than any QB who ended up on the roster but they exposed him to the market instead of exposing somebody like Bollinger or Henson,who IMO were expendable.With him on our roster(although he injured his knee) we would have a QB right now who could potentially compete if TJ doesn't pan out but now we are another year farther behind.

Who knows, maybe Kolb will go into Eagles camp and dethrone McNabb and they will release him and solve our problems but I am not holding my breath
    You were to a Daunte fan. Everyone was when he was rookie of the year and looked to be the vikings franchise QB they had been looking for since Tarkenton left. A couple years later when he competed with Peyton for league MVP, you weren't a fan then? I know none of us want to admit that we were at one time high on Daunte but it's the truth.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Very nice post/points.

A.

b.

c.

You were to a Daunte fan. Everyone was when he was rookie of the year and looked to be the vikings franchise QB they had been looking for since Tarkenton left. A couple years later when he competed with Peyton for league MVP, you weren't a fan then? I know none of us want to admit that we were at one time high on Daunte but it's the truth.
    I thought Edgerrin James was NFL rookie of the year in 1999.

???

EDIT:
    On second thought 2000 would be his rookie year which went to Mike Anderson.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Very nice post/points.

A.

b.

c.

Coouple of points.. I wasn't a Daunte Fan... i didn't like him bc i didn't think he could bring us back in the 4th quarter and that's the intangible i look for in a franchise QB... I never had faith that he could do that.. lead us down when we needed a TD and win us the game...

Second to Marr's comment... We had Shaun Hill developing pretty nicely when the previous regimine was here.. but then Good ole' chiller wanted his guys in here or THe triangle of Authority bc i know your gonna get on me for saying it was chiler's decision.. but they get rid of Shaun Hill and hell, he looked pretty good in SF before he got hurt... So i don't think they completely ignored it!!.. I think they really Effed up when they thought BJ was the solution or the stop gap at QB... that was just assinine to think he coulda been that guy.... I still get mad when i think about that...

Thirdly, they shoulda never let Frerotte go... but, woulda bee's coulda bee's shoulda bee's dont make no honey!!..

And as for Cutler... there was alot of mixed analysis on him.. some actually comparing him to JP losman... and Brett Favre.. he had bad mechanics and forced alot of throws into tight coverage.. so for them not to go up and get him, i'm not upset about that.. bc you just didn't know and he wasn't worth what it would have taken to move up and get him.... had we passed on him it woulda been a different story but we never had the chance to do that....

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Very nice post/points.

A.

b.

c.

Coouple of points.. I wasn't a Daunte Fan... i didn't like him bc i didn't think he could bring us back in the 4th quarter and that's the intangible i look for in a franchise QB... I never had faith that he could do that.. lead us down when we needed a TD and win us the game...

Second to Marr's comment... We had Shaun Hill developing pretty nicely when the previous regimine was here.. but then Good ole' chiller wanted his guys in here or THe triangle of Authority bc i know your gonna get on me for saying it was chiler's decision.. but they get rid of Shaun Hill and hell, he looked pretty good in SF before he got hurt... So i don't think they completely ignored it!!.. I think they really Effed up when they thought BJ was the solution or the stop gap at QB... that was just assinine to think he coulda been that guy.... I still get mad when i think about that...

Thirdly, they shoulda never let Frerotte go... but, woulda bee's coulda bee's shoulda bee's dont make no honey!!..

And as for Cutler... there was alot of mixed analysis on him.. some actually comparing him to JP losman... and Brett Favre.. he had bad mechanics and forced alot of throws into tight coverage.. so for them not to go up and get him, i'm not upset about that.. bc you just didn't know and he wasn't worth what it would have taken to move up and get him.... had we passed on him it woulda been a different story but we never had the chance to do that....
    Not telling you how to write your comments, but I personally prefer the "Triangle of Doom" over the Triangle of Authority, might want to give that a run.
    ;D

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Very nice post/points.

A.

b.

c.

a. Again, I am not sure of the timing around Brees and Culpepper, regardless they still had Johnson on the roster and most believed he still had enough arm to get us to a point were TJ would be ready.
    We will have to continue to disagree on that one. To bad BJ couldn't get it done.

b. I still disagree here as well.
    The QB position isn't ever gonna be stable by bringing in a bunch of old guys to act as backups . We learned the with BJ. Again, alot of us thought we were good there but how did that work out.
    Truth be told, at least in my eyes, you need to keep addressing the QB position via the draft at least every other year (even if you have a stud at QB) to ensure you have continuity.

By the way, how long did Brad give us continuity?
    Something like 8 games or so?
    What happened the next year?
    Old fart washed up QB's are not the way to go if you want continuity my friend.
    (I think you agree with me but just don't want to admit it.
    See your Thygpen comments)

c.
    I don't think Denver moved up, I believe they already had the pick from trading the year before (or something like that), our staff felt like it was to much to move up to get Cutler which it might have been.
    As Z always reminds me when I rant on this, I wasn't in the warroom and don't have all the details.

Our backup plan was then to move up and take Clemens but after we moved up (51), NYJ took him ahead of us (49).
    Probably should have took him with the pick we took Griffin(48th) at and then took Griffin at (51) and taken Cook a round or two later were he was projected at.

I blame Foley for not knowing the Jets were interested in Clemens.

http://football.about.com/od/nfldraf...raftresult.htm

I agree with you on one thing, they screwed the pooch on Thygpen.
    They should have stuck with BB and kept Thygpen on the roster.
    I anticipate we will see something like that this year.

TJ
    BB (or another Vet)
    Ainge (or another 2nd day rookie).

Ainge (or another 2nd day rookie) will be groomed to be the backup/eventual starter the way it should be done.
    Grow one, instead of brining in old has beens behind your starter (ala BJ behind Culpepper).
    Even if he is forced into playing (Thygpen would have this year) it is good to see what he can do anyways.

If he fails or completely sucks you draft another guy next year.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Supervikings82 is offline Waterboy

Losman would be a good back up, but I don't think Losman should be "our guy". I think TJack has a better chance of being "our guy". I see a lot of potential in TJack and I think he's got all of the things we need in a QB, just needs the experience to fine tune was he can really do.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast