Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    KrackerJack is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Vikes Go After J.P. Losman?

"dcboardr41" wrote:
    another sad QB thread about some sub par qb taking over for tjack when he has only started one season.
    you people need to be more patient with him, he is going to be perfectly fine next year, we dont need to waste draft picks on another "unproven" guy
    What do you mean 'unproven'?????!?...

...he's proven himself, proven that he sucks... ;D

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"KrackerJack" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    another sad QB thread about some sub par qb taking over for tjack when he has only started one season.
    you people need to be more patient with him, he is going to be perfectly fine next year, we dont need to waste draft picks on another "unproven" guy
    What do you mean 'unproven'?????!?...

...he's proven himself, proven that he sucks... ;D
    Yeee Haw ;D

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

There are a couple of things to remember. We are looking at a young player as a back-up. That could come cheap and maybe (Like Twill) just needs a new system to turn it around. As far as the attitude, I am thinking that if the Vikes have any interest in him they have done a good check of what he is like.
    Look at what he had in Buffalo to work with.
    Is he the next great QB, right now I would say no, but I think if anything guys like Eli Manning, Derek Anderson,
    something just clicks in the right system.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"dcboardr41" wrote:
    its competition..if anything it should make t-jack raise his game..the fact that you are worried about somebody taking over for jackson if they came here shows us all that you think t-jack wont be good enough to beat out a losman..if you think jackson is 'the guy', then why are you afraid of him getting a little training camp competition?

regardless of who is brought here to compete for the starting job, we come out of it with the better QB starting after camp..its a win/win no matter who we bring in..if somebody is clearly better than jackson, chilly would start them..if jackson outperforms whoever is brought in, then he will start
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

ragz is offline GM

if we bring in a losman or a rosenfels i'm not sitting here thinking tavaris is in huge trouble.
    i think if he plays real poor and the season feels like it's slipping away he could get pulled but i dont believe starting the season these guys step in and win a job.
    what i'm looking for is an upgrade from holcomb and bollinger, so that if tavaris goes down for another 4 games maybe we can walk away with at least one win.
    neither of these guys are world beaters, i like rosenfels more, but either way they both have more to offer than holcomb did so maybe it gets us that one or 2 wins we would need if.....
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

Texanvike is offline Rookie

"olson_10" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    its competition..if anything it should make t-jack raise his game..the fact that you are worried about somebody taking over for jackson if they came here shows us all that you think t-jack wont be good enough to beat out a losman..if you think jackson is 'the guy', then why are you afraid of him getting a little training camp competition?

regardless of who is brought here to compete for the starting job, we come out of it with the better QB starting after camp..its a win/win no matter who we bring in..if somebody is clearly better than jackson, chilly would start them..if jackson outperforms whoever is brought in, then he will start
    I agree with pretty much everything you said there.
    There isn't anything wrong with a little Qb competition.
    If T-jack can't handle the pressure of a position battle, he can't handle the playoffs.

I'm not really excited at the possibility of Losman, but I know he has a lot of talent.
    I've definately seen flashes of excitement.
    As long as he's grown up a little, attitude wise.
    I know he can be a little cocky.

And I wouldn't sell the farm for the guy either.
    Hopefully he would be available for a mid to low round draft pick.
    I love lamp.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

"V" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I'm not sold on him at all and don't see him coming in and lighting up our offense.

His one year as a starter in 2006 led to 19 td's and 14 int's which is not going to make him any favorite in our coach's mind and his ave yards per play is pretty low.

YEAR TEAM G CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT
    2004 BUF 4 3 5 60.0 32 6.4 0 17 1 39.2
    2005 BUF 9 113 228 49.6 1340 5.9 8 58 8 64.9
    2006 BUF 16 268 429 62.5 3051 7.1 19 83 14 84.9
    2007 BUF 8 111 175 63.4 1204 6.9 4 85 6 76.9
    Career 37 495 837 59.1 5627 6.7 31 85 29 77.3
    You do realize that TJs one year of starting led to 9 TDs and 12 ints, with a 6.4 yards per play average, right?

The only difference is that Buffalo drafted a QB high to see if they could do better than Losman, while we put faith in our guy and didn't worry about a backup plan. Hopefully we will do the same thing in the draft this year.

If he came I would be happy, but I would be even happier if we pass on Losman and draft a QB in the first couple rounds.
    I was just thinking the same

;D

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"V" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I'm not sold on him at all and don't see him coming in and lighting up our offense.

His one year as a starter in 2006 led to 19 td's and 14 int's which is not going to make him any favorite in our coach's mind and his ave yards per play is pretty low.

You do realize that TJs one year of starting led to 9 TDs and 12 ints, with a 6.4 yards per play average, right?

The only difference is that Buffalo drafted a QB high to see if they could do better than Losman, while we put faith in our guy and didn't worry about a backup plan. Hopefully we will do the same thing in the draft this year.

If he came I would be happy, but I would be even happier if we pass on Losman and draft a QB in the first couple rounds.
    What I realize is comparing any QB to Jackson as my reason to want them is not really the threshold I want to use.
    Did he have a better year than Jackson? probably. But do I feel he can either beat out Jackson and take the team to the Super Bowl or come in from the bench and lead us to the Super Bowl due to an injury to the starter? No. I don't even have the confidence in him to go out and win a wildcard game. So no, I think I'll pass.
    So TJ is allowed to develop slowly, but any other QB has to take us to a Super Bowl immediately? I think that is a bit unfair.

He is as good/maybe better than TJ, and definetly better than Bollinger. He would make a great backup.
    No, that is not what I am saying at all. I have no desire to slowly let TJ develop either. I don't like the position the staff has left us in at QB and I am not happy with any QB they have brought in so far. I just see bringing him in as a continuation of more of the same. At this point I am not sure what they should do with the position. I would have liked them to have went after Brees their first year or even Garcia last year. Of the veterans out there none of them look like a good starting option to me.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

What I realize is comparing any QB to Jackson as my reason to want them is not really the threshold I want to use.
    Did he have a better year than Jackson? probably. But do I feel he can either beat out Jackson and take the team to the Super Bowl or come in from the bench and lead us to the Super Bowl due to an injury to the starter? No. I don't even have the confidence in him to go out and win a wildcard game. So no, I think I'll pass.
    So TJ is allowed to develop slowly, but any other QB has to take us to a Super Bowl immediately? I think that is a bit unfair.

He is as good/maybe better than TJ, and definetly better than Bollinger. He would make a great backup.
    No, that is not what I am saying at all. I have no desire to slowly let TJ develop either. I don't like the position the staff has left us in at QB and I am not happy with any QB they have brought in so far. I just see bringing him in as a continuation of more of the same. At this point I am not sure what they should do with the position. I would have liked them to have went after Brees their first year or even Garcia last year. Of the veterans out there none of them look like a good starting option to me.
    If the solution you like most is to draft a QB at 17, then we at least agree on that. That would give us the best option talentwise and a future to look forward to.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Very nice post/points.
    A couple of comments though.......

A.
    I don't think Bree's was really available to us as we still had Daunte as our QB with BJ as a solid backup and 2 pretty good candidates in the draft as developmental guys (Cutler/Clemens).
    I believe if you really look at the timing of it all when QB probably wasn't even an issue at that point.

b.
    The previous regime also can/should be blamed for the mess we are in at QB.
    After selecting Daunte they pretty much ignored the position with respect to drafting a guy that could learn behind Daunte in case he went nuts and wanted to return to sunny FL instead of playing for the Vikes.

c.
    I believe that the only QB that was actually available that would be a good fit for the system was Garcia or Plummer.
    Both sure were signed pretty quick by Tampa (aren't they like the new QB magnet?)

Long story short, no fan wants to sit and watch a team struggle as a young QB develops but what else is there that can be done.
    As I've stated repeatedly on here, the NFL is in dire straights when you look at the QB position these days.

This draft doesn't have any QB that could be labeled "The Guy" and has alot of guys that have potential to be "Good" QB's in the next level but all have a bit of risk.

Starters can't stay healthy and good backups are at a premium. With the extra CAP guys like Voleck/Sorgi can now be resigned by thier teams for pretty decent salaries if they are content to be career backups.

Guess the next best option is to grow your starter (much to the chagrin of the fans) and try to find a guy like Sage or Losman that could be brought in to act as backup/compete for the job.

As I've said the last few months, I am on the TJ bandwagon.
    Here's to all of us who are praying he has a good offseason, studies alot of tape and comes out a better QB next year.
    There just isn't anything else out there.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast