Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Vikes' draft picks of the first 3 rounds by HEY (updated)

I made a list of which players I believe the Vikings should select in the first three rounds of the 2008 NFL draft.
    I have taken in consideration which players that will be available for us in each position and which players who most likely wouldn't be there (for example, I think there is a small chance Kenny Phillips would be there when we have the 17th pick, or else I would have taken him right away)
    This year, our beloved Vikes have four draft picks in the first three rounds, two in the third round, and I will explain each of my following choices.

Round 1:

17th pick - [s]Calais Campbell[/s]*: 6-8, 280 lbs.
    First of all, he has a huge size and was ranked by some as the best defensive end before the combine. Unfortunately for him, he had a very poor combine and his stock fell like Randy Moss in Oakland. I remember people said that Calais would be gone long before the 17th pick, but after the combine many experts have him falling as far as to the second round. Therefore, I think the chances are big that he'll be there when Vikings are on the clock.
    He had a disappointing 40-yard dash and I think he was one of the worst defensive lineman at the bench press. However, you can't overlook his intruging size, great motor and athleticism. He has great upside and if he receives the right coaching he could develope to something big (not only talking about size). He had for example 10 sacks in his sophomore year.

*Switched to Phillip Merling because of convincing PP.O members

Round 2:

17th pick - Joe Flacco: 6-6, 230 lbs.
    So far. I have picked two prospects with big size. It may look like I care too much about the size, but it isn't just that. Flacco has tremendous upside. He has the strongest throwing arm in the league and can be very accurate, pluss he's hard to tackle and knows how to buy time in the pocket. Some people were complaining about his mobility which I think is wrong. He has good mobility and I think he ran a 4,70 at the 40-yard dash.
    His numbers are impressing, but one negative is that he played for a small school and played against mostly small schools. Therefore, him going to the NFL will be a big leap and he may need two or three years to adapt to the NFL. There is a big chance he wouldn't be there when the Vikes are on the clock, but I just had to go with him in the second round.

Round 3:

10th pick - Tom Zbikowski: 6-0, 211 lbs.
    Hope this is proof enough that I don't only pick tall guys

;D
    As I mentioned earlier, I would love to see Phillips fall to us in the first round, but I don't think that will happen. We should draft a safety, more specific, a strong safety who can replace our veteran, Darren Sharper. Tom is this guy! Tom is a hard-worker and a team leader. He plays very aggressive, sometimes even too much aggressive, which have caused him troubles sometimes.
    Teams are afraid of drafting players with off-field issues and this is why I think he will fall so far even though he's is ranked as the second best safety in the draft by many people. He is very strong, though and knows the game well. He has good hands and ball skills, plus he's a good punt returner and can take it to the house. He's also a good boxer and he led the team with 5 interceptions in 2005. There is also one more reason to why I want us to pick him, he's a bamf Notre Dame player!!
    ;D
    [youtube=425,350]xIPopWFgqpE&feature=related[/youtube]

17th pick - Jordy Nelson: 6-3, 219.
    I was originally going with another wide reciever, D.J. Hall, but Jordy Nelson has really impressed me. He has good size, and has good reliable hands. He is not very fast, but can still be a playmaker and he is good when running after the catch as well. He has great ball-skills and knows the game well. Also he's numbers don't lie, last year he had 122 receptions, 1 606 receiving yards and 11 TDs in just 12 games.
    He's a bit raw, and the leap to the NFL will be pretty big, but after a couple of years on the bench I think he will be ready.
    [youtube=425,350]W6B_VmbiR7o&feature=related[/youtube]

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikes' draft picks of the first 3 rounds by HEY

Hey, Do you actually do a mock to see if they were available at those picks or do you just plug in the guys that are valued to go in that round?

Niether is the wrong way my friend, just a question.

I personnally like to do the mock based on team needs, bounced against a value board and see who falls to us and then plug in the guy I see that fits us the best.

I wouldn't be unhappy with either pick but I would think that there would be a couple of better guys at 17 depending on how the players come off the board.....

Phillips S
    Merling DE
    Baker OT
    Williams OT
    Havery OLB/DE
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Hey, Do you actually do a mock to see if they were available at those picks or do you just plug in the guys that are valued to go in that round?

I personnally like to do the mock based on team needs, bounced against a value board and see who falls to us and then plug in the guy I see that fits us the best.

I wouldn't be unhappy with either pick but I would think that there would be a couple of better guys at 17 depending on how the players come off the board.....

Phillips S
    Merling DE
    Baker OT
    Williams OT
    Havery OLB/DE
    To answer your first question, yes I do a mock first to see who's available.

Your procedure make sence and seems like a good way to do a mock draft, but I believe a lot of the decicions is up to the individual to take. Like how big the need in each position is, and wether a player is valuable enough to pass on. I don't think anyone on this site regrets that we picked AD though.

You made a good list of other options in the first round and I wouldn't be unhappy if we picked those guys either, but...

K. Phillips is a very good option, as a matter of fact, I would much rather draft Phillips, he's a bad ass,
    But... I seriously doupt he'll last so long. He's too good.

Merling and Havery are also good options and I seriously used a long time to decide between Merling and Calais. I think both Merling and Havery would be more safe picks than Calais.
    But... I believe Calais has much more upsite and somehow I don't really like Havery, plus I like being aggressive in the draft

Baker and Williams are good tackles, and we might need one if McKinnie gets suspended.
    But... well, to be honest, I didn't even think about tackles when i posted this

and I don't know enough about this year's class either. Well, done is done

"HEY" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Phillips S
    Merling DE
    Baker OT
    Williams OT
    Havery OLB/DE
    To answer your first question, yes I do a mock first to see who's available.

Your procedure make sence and seems like a good way to do a mock draft, but I believe a lot of the decicions is up to the individual to take. Like how big the need in each position is, and wether a player is valuable enough to pass on. I don't think anyone on this site regrets that we picked AD though.

You made a good list of other options in the first round and I wouldn't be unhappy if we picked those guys either, but...

K. Phillips is a very good option, as a matter of fact, I would much rather draft Phillips, he's a bad jiggly butt,
    But... I seriously doupt he'll last so long. He's too good.

Merling and Havery are also good options and I seriously used a long time to decide between Merling and Calais. I think both Merling and Havery would be more safe picks than Calais.
    But... I believe Calais has much more upsite and somehow I don't really like Havery, plus I like being aggressive in the draft

Baker and Williams are good tackles, and we might need one if McKinnie gets suspended.
    But... well, to be honest, I didn't even think about tackles when i posted this

and I don't know enough about this year's class either. Well, done is done

I will post my (almost final) two round mock somtime this weekend I hope.
    Gonna also add the rest of the rounds in that thread as well.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

ive seen mocks now that have campbell going in the 3rd/4th round
    i think id shoot myself if we drafted the lazy weight gaining DT in the 1st round

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Thank God - I haven't been able to sleep at night, in anticipation of this momentous event.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"dcboardr41" wrote:
    ive seen mocks now that have campbell going in the 3rd/4th round
    i think id shoot myself if we drafted the lazy weight gaining DT in the 1st round
    His combine killed him.

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Thank God - I haven't been able to sleep at night, in anticipation of this momentous event.

=Z=
    LOL.
    I know you can't wait.
    Messed with the first round this morning a bit and here is were I left it.
    1 Dolphins Jake Long, OT
    2 Rams Glen Dorsey, DT
    3 Falcons Darren McFadden, RB
    4 Raiders Chris Long, DE
    5 Chiefs Cedric Ellist, DT
    6 Jets Vernon Gholston, DE
    7 Patriots(49ers) Mike Jenkins, CB
    8 Ravens Matt Ryan, QB
    9 Bengals Kentwan Balmer, DT
    10 Saints Keith Rivers, LB
    11 Bills Limas Sweed, WR
    12 Broncos Jeff Otah, OT
    13 Panthers Johnathan Stewart, RB
    14 Bears Ryan Clady, OT
    15 Lions Derrick Harvey, DE/OLB
    16 Cardinals Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB
    17 Vikings Phillip Merling , DE
    18 Texans Rashard Mendenhall, RB
    19 Eagles DeSean Jackson, WR
    20 Buccaneers Chris Williams, OT
    21 Redskins Kenny Phillips, S
    22 Cowboys (Browns) Early Doucet, WR
    23 Steelers Brandon Albert, OG
    24 Titans James Hardy, WR
    25 Seahawks Malcomb Kelly, WR
    26 Jaguars Leodis McKelvin, CB
    Chargers Calais Campbell, DE
    28 Cowboys Felix Jones, RB
    29 49'rs (Colts) Aqip Talib, CB
    30 Packers Antoine Cason, CB
    31 Patriots Forfiet
    32 Giants Dan Conner, LB

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

=Z=
    Hahaha
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"C" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

=Z=
    Hahaha
    We all know how happy he is to see them though, even if he doesn't want to admit it.

Z fools no one.
    ;D

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast