Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 71
  1. #41
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Video of the top QB's likely available to us.

    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1093641
    Here's a question for you.

    Why would the Vikings draft a QB if he isn't going to be a first day starter and/or franchise QB?

    They already have a project in Webb.

    Isn't drafting another project a wasted draft pick?

    In my mind the guy you are drafting certainly needs to be better than Webb. How many in this draft are better?

    Unless they have very little faith that Webb can develop, they may not even take a QB.
    I look at the top 3 guys as not so much projects, but they are still young and have lots to learn.

    I would love to have a rookie get drafted, learn for a year or two and then when called upon, not miss a beat. Just like guys like Romo or Rodgers have done. There was practically no drop-off in production from the prior starter and them. (In Romo's case, a vast improvement) We just need a good QB coach and OC to try and replicate some game scenarios that the young guy can learn in practice. Only 1 or 2 years, they're not a 4+ year project player like TJ or Webb is.

  2. #42
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Video of the top QB's likely available to us.

    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1093641
    Here's a question for you.

    Why would the Vikings draft a QB if he isn't going to be a first day starter and/or franchise QB?

    They already have a project in Webb.

    Isn't drafting another project a wasted draft pick?

    In my mind the guy you are drafting certainly needs to be better than Webb. How many in this draft are better?

    Unless they have very little faith that Webb can develop, they may not even take a QB.
    Two reasons my friend.

    1. You need two QB's in this league that you can win with. Webb showed that he can win behind this team against a very good Iggles team last year. Who else do you have behind him that has demonstrated that?

    2. You need to continually address the QB position. If you ignore it, like we did since we drafted Pepp, you will never have the depth you need behind the starter when he goes down or when he leaves. One or both will happen.

    As to who is better than Webb? You know me, I always believe the guy who has had NFL coaching is better than the guy coming from the collegiate level. Problem for me is that young Webb wasn't from a top school were he not only got top coaching, but played at a higher level. Long story short, kids like Webb (and TJ) take longer to get ready than a kid who comes from a top school.

    Long story short, I would put the following slightly above Webb at this stage in the game and would feel comfortable going into the season carrying Webb, Bomar and whichever you get in the draft out of Gabbert, Mallet, Locker, and possibly Newton.

    However, comma, ........I have a small caveat to that. You must make sure that the team is at the same level the team was in 2009. That would mean......

    1. Resign Rice. Rice, Harvin and BB with backups like Cam would be good targets for a young kid to work with. Nice mix of experience to ensure the recievers are a help and not a hinderance. Drafting a bunch of rook WR's with a rook QB would be ugly.

    2. Make sure your OL is healthy. Like it or not, Big Mac, Hutch, Sully, Herrera and Load got it done in 2009. They can do it again, but they have to stay healthy. No team can win with a messed up OL on a consistent basis.

    3. You have to fix the DT issue. Getting a guy like Suh (Fairley/Paea/Taylor/Austin) would greatly improve the production of our DE's, LB'rs and DB's as that guy would collapse the pocket like Phat Pat used to do, draw doubles like Phat Pat used to do and stop the run like Phat Pat used to do so the backend guys could focus on playing the backend instead of doing things like blitzing.

    Again, its our scheme. Like it or not, when you can't get pressure from the front 4 the rest of the defense WILL struggle.

    Fix that and you will give the young QB and the offense the ball back 3 or 4 more times a game and in situations were we have field position.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #43
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,916

    Re: Video of the top QB's likely available to us.

    I hate the fact that we seem to love stockpiling picks in the end of the draft, 5ths, 6ths and 7ths. Out scouting department seems to lack the ability to find true gems in the later rounds. Which makes these picks worthless. Trade the lot of them and stockpile 3rds and 4th rounders. If I was a GM, each season, i would only draft in the top 4 rounds.

  4. #44
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Video of the top QB's likely available to us.

    Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1093684
    I hate the fact that we seem to love stockpiling picks in the end of the draft, 5ths, 6ths and 7ths. Out scouting department seems to lack the ability to find true gems in the later rounds. Which makes these picks worthless. Trade the lot of them and stockpile 3rds and 4th rounders. If I was a GM, each season, i would only draft in the top 4 rounds.
    I hear ya Kev. Problem is, you have to start someplace. If we could just keep someone in the FO for more that a "Blink of an Eye" he would be able to work the board a bit as well as jettison players everyonce in awhile to get those picks up in that range.

    Instead we seem to start over every other "Blink of an Eye" so we can't ever seem to get to that point a stable organization gets to.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #45
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,916

    Re: Video of the top QB's likely available to us.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6348822

    You gotta like Mallet. I know he is not the most articulate but he seems like a decent guy, intelligent and I like him. TO be honest, I will be happy with any of these 5 guys

    Cam, Gabbert, Mallett, Ponder, Locker.
    With Ponder.... only in the 2nd or if we trade back and pick up an extra 2nd.

  6. #46
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,916

    Re: Video of the top QB's likely available to us.

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093689
    Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1093684
    I hate the fact that we seem to love stockpiling picks in the end of the draft, 5ths, 6ths and 7ths. Out scouting department seems to lack the ability to find true gems in the later rounds. Which makes these picks worthless. Trade the lot of them and stockpile 3rds and 4th rounders. If I was a GM, each season, i would only draft in the top 4 rounds.
    I hear ya Kev. Problem is, you have to start someplace. If we could just keep someone in the FO for more that a "Blink of an Eye" he would be able to work the board a bit as well as jettison players everyonce in awhile to get those picks up in that range.

    Instead we seem to start over every other "Blink of an Eye" so we can't ever seem to get to that point a stable organization gets to.
    Marr,
    We have had had basically the same FO for 5 years. Outside of 1nd and 2nd round talent...we completely miss far too often. We should be getting players that stay with the team in the 3rd and 4th rounds. With us it seems like we either have a Homerun or we completely whiff.

  7. #47
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Video of the top QB's likely available to us.

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/666381-nfl-draft-2011-is-ricky-stanzi-the-next-tom-brady

    “Stanzi is as an extremely hard worker who has high expectations of himself. He is a fiery, no nonsense type of leader who just wants to win,” writes Bryan Trulen of NFLDraftMonsters.com.

    Extremely hard worker. High expectations of himself. No nonsense guy who wants to win. Yep, that sounds a bit Tom Brady-ish.



    Brady goes about 6-4, 225 pounds. Stanzi is listed at 6-4, 230 pounds. Brady was viewed as a smart quarterback with intangibles, but was overlooked because he looked unremarkable. Too thin, and not capable of throwing the deep ball. You know, the “measurables” that super athletes like Cam Newton possess.

    Similarly, Stanzi has more experience, better mechanics and is thought to be a more NFL-ready quarterback than guys like Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert. Stanzi is predicted to go much later in the draft because he didn’t test well at the Combine. He lacks athletic ability, apparently, sort of like what was being said of Brady before his draft.

  8. #48
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Video of the top QB's likely available to us.

    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1093717
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/666381-nfl-draft-2011-is-ricky-stanzi-the-next-tom-brady

    “Stanzi is as an extremely hard worker who has high expectations of himself. He is a fiery, no nonsense type of leader who just wants to win,” writes Bryan Trulen of NFLDraftMonsters.com.

    Extremely hard worker. High expectations of himself. No nonsense guy who wants to win. Yep, that sounds a bit Tom Brady-ish.



    Brady goes about 6-4, 225 pounds. Stanzi is listed at 6-4, 230 pounds. Brady was viewed as a smart quarterback with intangibles, but was overlooked because he looked unremarkable. Too thin, and not capable of throwing the deep ball. You know, the “measurables” that super athletes like Cam Newton possess.

    Similarly, Stanzi has more experience, better mechanics and is thought to be a more NFL-ready quarterback than guys like Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert. Stanzi is predicted to go much later in the draft because he didn’t test well at the Combine. He lacks athletic ability, apparently, sort of like what was being said of Brady before his draft.
    Thanks for the read my friend.

    Just one comment, ......I don't think Stanzi is projected lower than other QB's in this class because he didn't test well at the combine.

    Very few, if any staffs (Raiders is the possible exception) draft based on just what they saw at the combine.

    I think Stanzi is going later than other QB's because those scouts and staffs think the other QB's either fit their system better or are slightly better than Stanzi but all of them still seem to agree that he is one of the 8 that could possibly wind up being a "Franchise QB" that are in this class.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #49
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Video of the top QB's likely available to us.

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093754
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1093717
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/666381-nfl-draft-2011-is-ricky-stanzi-the-next-tom-brady

    “Stanzi is as an extremely hard worker who has high expectations of himself. He is a fiery, no nonsense type of leader who just wants to win,” writes Bryan Trulen of NFLDraftMonsters.com.

    Extremely hard worker. High expectations of himself. No nonsense guy who wants to win. Yep, that sounds a bit Tom Brady-ish.



    Brady goes about 6-4, 225 pounds. Stanzi is listed at 6-4, 230 pounds. Brady was viewed as a smart quarterback with intangibles, but was overlooked because he looked unremarkable. Too thin, and not capable of throwing the deep ball. You know, the “measurables” that super athletes like Cam Newton possess.

    Similarly, Stanzi has more experience, better mechanics and is thought to be a more NFL-ready quarterback than guys like Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert. Stanzi is predicted to go much later in the draft because he didn’t test well at the Combine. He lacks athletic ability, apparently, sort of like what was being said of Brady before his draft.
    Thanks for the read my friend.

    Just one comment, ......I don't think Stanzi is projected lower than other QB's in this class because he didn't test well at the combine.

    Very few, if any staffs (Raiders is the possible exception) draft based on just what they saw at the combine.

    I think Stanzi is going later than other QB's because those scouts and staffs think the other QB's either fit their system better or are slightly better than Stanzi but all of them still seem to agree that he is one of the 8 that could possibly wind up being a "Franchise QB" that are in this class.
    I agree partly with you but not on the system fitting part. He and mallett are the only 2 Pro system QBs in the draft and Stanzi has much more experience in it. The rest are going to have to retool their whole game to fit into the NFL offense.

    My opinion is they feel the others have more potential upside plus they have gotten better exposure in the NFL marketing machine.

  10. #50
    skum's Avatar
    skum is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2,884
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Video of the top QB's likely available to us.

    Here is a some tape on Locker, there is another game on page 1 if you missed it..

    [video size=100 width=425 height=344 type=youtube]syqhmUW3vIM[/video]

    [video size=100 width=425 height=344 type=youtube]MQWeHycyqmU[/video]


    ----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Put the following QB's in order...
    By Tad7 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 08:18 PM
  2. What Do These QB's Have In Common?
    By Marrdro in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 07-28-2009, 09:23 PM
  3. QB'S 2 and 3
    By sheepdog in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-04-2008, 10:10 PM
  4. 2006 QB's and FA
    By whackthepack in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2006, 10:27 PM
  5. QB's coming in
    By Vikesfreak81 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-04-2005, 08:47 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •