Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 71
  1. #1
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Video of the top QB's likely available to us.

    As some of you know, I have spent a bit more time than usual looking at the QB's in this draft class to try to get a feel for what is out there and who we might have available in the draft.

    I think it is pretty widely held that Newton and Gabbert will be off the board at 12 and I personally hope that the Vikings don't move up to get either because I am not sure either is worth the cost we would incur to get them.

    As I went through the video available it became apparent that there are quite a few Tebow type QB's who are as comfortable running as passing and to me that is a red flag because I am looking for a guy that stands in the pocket and looks to distribute the ball to his play makers. I am going to refer to this as the "Distribution Scale" from this point forward.

    Just to make sure they are included I am going to post video of Newton and Gabbert so you can see what they did and how they did it for comparison, then post video of other QB's from this class and from that you can watch their play and visualize how they would look in an NFL offense.

    Gabbert:

    To be honest with you, I am not seeing in him what the experts are. I see some slow feet, a guy too quick to run and footwork that is nothing to write home about.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW69HWngSdk

    Newton:


    newton looks to me like a bigger, faster,stronger version of what you would get with Gabbert. Mental part aside if you had to pick between the 2, Newton is far more attractive IMHO.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtIkMMW5TU4
    OK Now to the guys we have a shot at:

    Stanzi:
    I know that I have gone out on a limb with Stanzi as the guy I want, but before you judge me, look at how he runs the offense, how he drops back in the pocket and looks downfield for his playmakers, and only runs when the play breaks down. As I assess these guys I try to visualize them in the Vikings offense and how much it would take for them to adapt to what we do and IMHO you could cut and paste him into the pro offense almost exactly as he is right now.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x2UUWgv1NQ


    Locker:

    To me he is Gabbert, Newton, Tebow etc light. Too quick to run and not showing the patience for a play to develop or the desire to get the ball to his playmakers. His accuracy looks OK but really it looks like a few year transition for him and i am not sure he has anything to offer that TJ doesn't.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PbienS_enY

    Ponder:

    He rated Third to Stanzi and Mallett on my "Distribution Scale" and is my second highest rated pocket passer in the draft. This is a guy I would like us to look at if they decide not to go with Stanzi.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCuu6UyO3B0


    Mallett:

    What an arm. Not so much with the foot action though. we would need to drastically change the offense around him but if we could do that and if he turns out to not have the character issues that are dogging him he could be the one franchise type QB in the draft.Rated first in the "Distribution Scale" if for no other reason than he has no other choice but to get the ball to someone else.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdagmnnKUx0

    Colin Kaepernick:

    Big time arm. Mechanics leave a lot to be desired. A raw talent that we don't have the luxury to develop.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8marza3hMU


    Andy Dalton:

    Pretty much grades the same as Locker. too quick to run, not patient enough to wait for plays to develop. Footwork is not that great and his mechanics are a few years away from working in the NFL.

    Tough to even find highlights on him so we get to look at his Rose Bowl Highlights.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rgEw2tT00Q

    Well, there you have the video. Feel free to look them over and give me you own independent analysis.

  2. #2
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Video of the top QB's likely available to us.

    OK. A bit of trouble getting the videos to load. Not sure why.

  3. #3
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Video of the top QB's likely available to us.

    Alas, the Vids don't work here at work, however, I've seen enough of them to agree with your overall assesment of each QB.

    My issue is with your base discussion point......

    I am looking for a guy that stands in the pocket and looks to distribute the ball to his play makers. I am going to refer to this as the "Distribution Scale" from this point forward.
    As I posted in another thread this morning. If you look at the QB's that Musgrove has had under his tutelage, a guy like Mallet just doesn't fit that type of player.

    Having said that, I would rank them in the following order when it comes to who the Vikes probably want first, second, third etc....

    a. Gabbert
    b. Newton
    c. Locker
    d. Stanzi/Ponder
    e. Kaep

    ......with Mallet even further back than guys like Dalton.

    Again, this, I believe is mostly driven by how defenses seem to be getting pressure on QB's. That statue kindof guy (Mallet) just doesn't seem to have a shelf life that would constitute a high pick, especially when you throw in how he melts down at the end of games and can't make plays.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #4
    skum's Avatar
    skum is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2,884
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Video of the top QB's likely available to us.

    Some tape here:

    Gabbert:
    [video size=100 width=425 height=344 type=youtube]Q5nGYHLeB2g[/video]

    Locker:
    [video size=100 width=425 height=344 type=youtube]gw_dWX2dJPY[/video]

    Ponder from 09:
    [video size=100 width=425 height=344 type=youtube]Mcl2441iZAw[/video]
    [video size=100 width=425 height=344 type=youtube]DDvA4h9FNlQ[/video]

    Dalton:
    [video size=100 width=425 height=344 type=youtube]Fj-4131UbFg[/video]


    ----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

  5. #5
    skum's Avatar
    skum is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2,884
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Video of the top QB's likely available to us.

    My QB Rankings:

    1. Gabbert
    2. Mallett
    3. Newton
    4. Stanzi
    5. Locker


    ----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

  6. #6
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Video of the top QB's likely available to us.

    My QB Rankings:

    1. Gabbert
    2. Mallett
    3. Newton
    4. Stanzi
    5. Locker[/quote]
    I could live with that (almost). Mallet just doesn't seem to finish games, especially when they need him to make plays. Additionally, the lack of mobility really bothers me.

    I like Stanzi but don't see him at 12, mostly cause of the following:

    From CDS[quote="skum" #1093261]
    Weaknesses
    Stanzi has decent arm strength, but he often negates that with terrible footwork and lower-body mechanics. Throws off balance or flat-footed too often, causing erratic throws. Really needs to be able to step into his throws to maintain consistent accuracy. He doesn't have great pocket presence. Often, he holds the ball too long and takes unnecessary hits as a result. Doesn't always appear to trust his reads and hesitates to let the ball go in time. Other times he reacts too quickly to the pass rush, not trusting his blockers, and gets jittery and forces a throw. Needs to really develop a consistent feel in the pocket.
    Locker, by the way, isn't much better. I just have him higher for the Vikes based on what type of QB Musgrove has looked at in the past.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #7
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Video of the top QB's likely available to us.

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093259
    Alas, the Vids don't work here at work, however, I've seen enough of them to agree with your overall assesment of each QB.

    My issue is with your base discussion point......

    I am looking for a guy that stands in the pocket and looks to distribute the ball to his play makers. I am going to refer to this as the "Distribution Scale" from this point forward.
    As I posted in another thread this morning. If you look at the QB's that Musgrove has had under his tutelage, a guy like Mallet just doesn't fit that type of player.

    Having said that, I would rank them in the following order when it comes to who the Vikes probably want first, second, third etc....

    a. Gabbert
    b. Newton
    c. Locker
    d. Stanzi/Ponder
    e. Kaep

    ......with Mallet even further back than guys like Dalton.

    Again, this, I believe is mostly driven by how defenses seem to be getting pressure on QB's. That statue kindof guy (Mallet) just doesn't seem to have a shelf life that would constitute a high pick, especially when you throw in how he melts down at the end of games and can't make plays.
    I don't see any QB's in the draft that are more similar to Ryan than Mallett is. Who do you think is closer and why?

    What is it that everyone else is seeing in Gabbert that I am not? To me it looks like he has done the best job of marketing himself and creating buzz but I just don't see the great separator in his play on the field.

  8. #8
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Video of the top QB's likely available to us.

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093266
    My QB Rankings:

    1. Gabbert
    2. Mallett
    3. Newton
    4. Stanzi
    5. Locker
    I could live with that (almost). Mallet just doesn't seem to finish games, especially when they need him to make plays. Additionally, the lack of mobility really bothers me.

    I like Stanzi but don't see him at 12, mostly cause of the following:

    From CDS
    Quote Originally Posted by "skum" #1093261
    Weaknesses
    Stanzi has decent arm strength, but he often negates that with terrible footwork and lower-body mechanics. Throws off balance or flat-footed too often, causing erratic throws. Really needs to be able to step into his throws to maintain consistent accuracy. He doesn't have great pocket presence. Often, he holds the ball too long and takes unnecessary hits as a result. Doesn't always appear to trust his reads and hesitates to let the ball go in time. Other times he reacts too quickly to the pass rush, not trusting his blockers, and gets jittery and forces a throw. Needs to really develop a consistent feel in the pocket.
    Locker, by the way, isn't much better. I just have him higher for the Vikes based on what type of QB Musgrove has looked at in the past.
    I wouldn't take stanzi with #12 either. Then again there is no QB in the draft I would take that high to be honest with you. I think Gabbert is rated that high because the league has to hype a QB every year to keep interest up but I don't grade him any higher than locker and lower than Ponder.

    Can you give me a summary of what you think you see in QB's that Musgrave has worked with and how those guys are in any way similar to Gabbert, Ponder, Locker, Dalton or any of the other cookie cutter Tebow types?

  9. #9
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Video of the top QB's likely available to us.

    The more and more I hear and read about Mallett, the more I like him. I think if he can get the mental game down, he can be the best of the bunch behind Newton(assuming he can do the same)

  10. #10
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Video of the top QB's likely available to us.

    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1093291
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093259
    Alas, the Vids don't work here at work, however, I've seen enough of them to agree with your overall assesment of each QB.

    My issue is with your base discussion point......

    I am looking for a guy that stands in the pocket and looks to distribute the ball to his play makers. I am going to refer to this as the "Distribution Scale" from this point forward.
    As I posted in another thread this morning. If you look at the QB's that Musgrove has had under his tutelage, a guy like Mallet just doesn't fit that type of player.

    Having said that, I would rank them in the following order when it comes to who the Vikes probably want first, second, third etc....

    a. Gabbert
    b. Newton
    c. Locker
    d. Stanzi/Ponder
    e. Kaep

    ......with Mallet even further back than guys like Dalton.

    Again, this, I believe is mostly driven by how defenses seem to be getting pressure on QB's. That statue kindof guy (Mallet) just doesn't seem to have a shelf life that would constitute a high pick, especially when you throw in how he melts down at the end of games and can't make plays.
    I don't see any QB's in the draft that are more similar to Ryan than Mallett is. Who do you think is closer and why?
    I would say Gabbert is closer to Ryan than Mallet is. See my post/details in the links I have provided. Not gonna type it all again.

    By the way, Matt is far and away more mobile that I think you believe he is.

    Underrated athlete with great pocket awareness and ability to avoid the rush. Can throw on the run very well. Outstanding leader in and out of the huddle. A winner.
    Matt Ryan Scouting report

    Don't forget that Musgrove has coached other QB's other than Ryan my friend. None of them are anything like young Mallet.

    What is it that everyone else is seeing in Gabbert that I am not? To me it looks like he has done the best job of marketing himself and creating buzz but I just don't see the great separator in his play on the field.
    Marketing himself might have play with the sports hacks, but it doesn't do squat when it comes to the GM's and scouts that are scouting these kids.

    Gabbert is right up there because of talent. Nothing more, nothing less. The team that thinks his talents fit their scheme the best, will take him. Judging by all the visits he's had, it will be one of the top 5 with only Newton going higher.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Put the following QB's in order...
    By Tad7 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 08:18 PM
  2. What Do These QB's Have In Common?
    By Marrdro in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 07-28-2009, 09:23 PM
  3. QB'S 2 and 3
    By sheepdog in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-04-2008, 10:10 PM
  4. 2006 QB's and FA
    By whackthepack in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2006, 10:27 PM
  5. QB's coming in
    By Vikesfreak81 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-04-2005, 08:47 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •