Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

Re: Veron Davis, our new tight end

"napo58" wrote:
    wiggins averages 8.2 yards a catch. WOW!!!

Vernon Davis could easily average 14-15.
    Napo you have to be one of the most fursturating poeple to try and have an argument with. You pick and choose what you want to respond to and avoid when somene makes a good response. Wiggins plays his role in our Offense, its not like we have really tried to stretch the field with him at all because we have WRs that are capable of doing this for us.

Why would we not draft for our NEEDS! We need offensive line, linebackers, and a running back why not take our first round pick and draft someone that will make an instant impact in a position that we need the help?

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

ajefx is offline Rookie

I'm not gonna come in here and advocate taking a TE in the first round (like others have said, we've got Wiggins and Kleinsasser already; and who knows what kind of offense our new head coach will want to run next season) but if we did draft VD, I would be loving it.

I'm a freshman at the University of Maryland and I've had the pleasure not only of watching Davis play, but to meet him too. He's a great guy; but you guys don't care about that. You'd much rather hear me talk about how great of a player this guy is.

One word to describe him: wow. Vernon Davis catches every pass thrown his way, and he's not done there. The one time I can remember him NOT breaking a tackle right away and gaining more yards (against NC State, in the final game of the season) shocked me and my friends so much that we talked about it for the next five minutes. Yes, we weren't talking about a sick hit he put on a defender en route to a first down, or the juke he used to gain another few yards; whereas any other player doing something of that sort to gain extra yardage was rare, so was the Duke getting tackled right away. He's just a monster on the field. I too wish there was footage I could show you guys of him just trucking defenders over, delivering stiff arms or shrugging defenders off of him; unfortunately I don't have any of it readily available (however any VD highlight clip you find will be full of these).

Davis not only is talented at TE, he's versatile enough to split out and play WR too. In our game vs. UNC, he played WR due to injuries to our starters and filled in well. So while blocking is considered a weakness of VD's, I'd say it's just not a strength (and when your strengths include catching the ball so well and then running with the ball even more impressively, not to mention his physical play, not everything can be a strength). I never felt the Duke was a liability as a blocker, and he was more than adequate.

The only real knock I've heard on Davis is that he is "small." He may be considered small at 6'3" when compared to 6'6" Mercedes Lewis and 6'8" Leonard Pope, realize that Wiggins is 6'2" and none of our tight ends right now are taller than 6'4".

Also, it should be noted that a lot of people are incorrectly labelling VD a "workout warrior." Yes, the dude is dedicated in the weight room and the results are there; but his work on the field is the real reason he is such a hot commodity. His dedication to the gym only adds to his skill; word on campus is the Fridge has to whistle the play dead in practice as soon as VD catches it because no one can take him down, and he worries that Vernon might hurt himself or a defender fighting for extra yards in practice. This guy is a true player and the NFL team that grabs him will be lucky.
    <<Hates Ted Cottrell with a passion

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I would maybe want to get him.. With the type of offense we will be running we might need a big time TE.. Wiggins is good for 5 yard lil dump offs.. Jimmy needs to play FB

Prophet Guest

I would like to see some clips of him. Sounds like a fun player to watch.

I can't imagine the Vikings taking a TE in the early rounds, there are so many other needs.

If you find a clip of him playing post it!

V4L

I would rather not too.. But if he is the best available player when we pick then we would have to take him.. Give Pep or whoever we have starting next year a target like Crumpler, Heap, Shockey etc.. I would love to see a TE who is like a Wr get matched up against LB's!

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

It doesn't matter HOW good he is. We have other, more pressing needs that we need to address. If it became apparent that Davis would be the no-brainer pick at our position (an unlikely situation), I would trade down if I were the GM. He won't help our team that much, and, as talented as he is, we won't be much worse without him. We already have TWO top-tier tight ends.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"ajefx" wrote:
    Vernon Davis catches every pass thrown his way, and he's not done there. The one time I can remember him NOT breaking a tackle right away and gaining more yards (against [size=24px]NC State[/size], in the final game of the season) shocked me and my friends so much that we talked about it for the next five minutes.
    YEAHHHH! That's right. :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz:

audioghost is offline Star Spokesman

Ummm.....Wiggins! He leads our team in receptions every year and is just below pro bowl level every year....if there is anything we need in the early rounds it is a RB or a young QB or an OL or a LB not a friggin TE....that would be a horrible pick!

A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

napo58 is offline Pro-Bowler

I think If Childress or Greg Kubiak comes in here, they would want a big play tight to stretch the field. Vernon Davis, here you come, Jermaine Wiggins, time to move back to 3rd string.

V4L

If Darnell Bing and Vernon are both available.. Or even a good back.. I would take any of them before Davis

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast