V1K1NG L3G3ND is offline Training Camp

Vernon Gholston?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e92fda/article/jets-decide-to-part-ways-with-underperforming-lb-gholston?module=HP_headlines

I would be all for giving him a shot. He might come cheap since underachieving in NY after the 1st round pick. I think he was a DE and LB in college so we could put him on the line and him, Robison and Griffen would be a nice turn table.

Im hoping that someone offers Edwards a deal which would be good for us in 2 ways. We would pick up another 1st rounder and I think we would be getting rid of a cancer in the lockerroom. I think he talks too much.

Thoughts?
    None

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vernon Gholston?

I'm not so sure he is a good fit for us. Sure he is a DE, but at 6-3"ish and around 260lbish, he is a better fit at RDE. We already have a starter over there that fills that void.

That and since 2008, when he came in, he hasn't really done anything. Sure some of that has to do with the fact that he is a 4-3 RDE plugged into a 3-4 scheme, but even with that little issue, one would think he would have been a bit more productive.

I think most of his issues, aside from scheme are attitude and quite frankly I don't like his.

On a side note, this is an prime example of why you don't just draft a kid cause he is talented. You need to draft a kid cause he is both talented and fits your scheme.

Hard to believe that some on here think you can just make a few changes to the scheme to make it better for one player. :sick:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

He's an incredible athlete. Strong, fast, good feet, long arms... he has all the ability in the world.

He took a paycut to play with the Jets a year or two ago, and his money is going to decrease even less on the open market.

Working with Dunbar, Singletary, and Pagac, maybe he could do it. I wouldn't hold my breath though, he's been pretty miserable for 4 years.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090643
    I'm not so sure he is a good fit for us. Sure he is a DE, but at 6-3"ish and around 260lbish, he is a better fit at RDE. We already have a starter over there that fills that void.

That and since 2008, when he came in, he hasn't really done anything. Sure some of that has to do with the fact that he is a 4-3 RDE plugged into a 3-4 scheme, but even with that little issue, one would think he would have been a bit more productive.

I think most of his issues, aside from scheme are attitude and quite frankly I don't like his.

On a side note, this is an prime example of why you don't just draft a kid cause he is talented. You need to draft a kid cause he is both talented and fits your scheme.

Hard to believe that some on here think you can just make a few changes to the scheme to make it better for one player. :sick:
    the 4-3 DE in a 3-4 is definietly something that would affect him. Just look at Aaron Kampman, great 4-3 LDE, crap 3-4 OLB.

Unfortunately, we have no need for a pure pass rusher, we already have one. Now, if we were to trade Allen and pick up Gholston, that is an interesting scenario.

Damn, thought of getting a first for Allen and one for Edwards makes me hard....

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090647

the 4-3 DE in a 3-4 is definietly something that would affect him. Just look at Aaron Kampman, great 4-3 LDE, crap 3-4 OLB.

Unfortunately, we have no need for a pure pass rusher, we already have one. Now, if we were to trade Allen and pick up Gholston, that is an interesting scenario.

Damn, thought of getting a first for Allen and one for Edwards makes me hard....
    Calm down there buddy. Here is a little something to bring you back down:

Now that that is taken care of I have given some thought to whether it would be a long term benefit to see if we could get any value from trading Allen. Right now I think we could get a 1st and maybe since we are rebuilding we could add a younger DE that could develop with the team and free up some cap space for us to work with when it comes to signing younger players.

Believe me, it isn't that I don't like him. In fact he is my favorite DL since the days of Randall and Millard but I am looking at this from a long term business point of view.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

He was a prototype 3-4 OLB, but i would like to see what he can do at a 4-3 DE, if we can sign him to a minimum deal - i would be all for giving him a roster spot to replace Griffin..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "skum" #1090673

He was a prototype 3-4 OLB, but i would like to see what he can do at a 4-3 DE, if we can sign him to a minimum deal - i would be all for giving him a roster spot to replace Griffin..
    Actually I think Gholston may be a steal. Since he didn't produce in NY he has no leverage for making a lot of money. We are losing a DE and having difficulties off the field with Griffen. It looks like Robison is being slotted for the LDE since he just signed. Gholston could be a good back up and who knows, he may just work out in the 4-3 scheme.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Isn't he the first top 10 pick d end to be drafted not to record a career sack with the team that drafted him....or is it them

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

ok, wow. I just looked up his stats. in 3 years, he has 13 total tackles, 45 games, 5 starts and that's It

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1090646
    He's an incredible athlete. Strong, fast, good feet, long arms... he has all the ability in the world.

He took a paycut to play with the Jets a year or two ago, and his money is going to decrease even less on the open market.

Working with Dunbar, Singletary, and Pagac, maybe he could do it. I wouldn't hold my breath though, he's been pretty miserable for 4 years.
    Maybe not as bad, but pretty close to the same attitude a certain Deadskin DT has since he was plugged into a scheme he doesn't think suites him.

As I said, alot can be attributed to his not fitting the scheme as a reason for his lack of production. Alot more has to do with the staff just not playing his butt anymore cause he didn't produce.

Again, you can be as talented as all get out, but that doesn't mean you can play in the scheme and why teams just don't take the BPA available. They take the BPA that fits their scheme.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg