Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Valentine's Day Free Agent Buzz

Valentine's Day Free Agent Buzz
    Date: Feb 14, 2006

It's Valentine's Day, and everywhere one can feel romance in the air. The courting of NFL free agents is about to begin, and NFL trading partners begin their slow tentative dance. Yes, it's Love, Scout.com Style, as more player movement rumors surface...

With the free agent player signing period right around the corner, talk of player movement continues to heat up.

We're tuned into the buzz and will be providing insight on what is being mentioned in league circles throughout the hectic off-season. Here is the latest that we are hearing at Scout.com:

Winds of change could be the motto in Minnesota this off-season. Brad Childress is the new Vikings’ head coach and appears poised to make changes which could be of significant interest in his first season. Cornerback Brian Williams is expected to depart, safety Corey Chavous could soon follow. Interestingly enough, the team has had discussions regarding the future of cornerback Fred Smoot. Smoot did not endear himself to the organization, though the Minnesota front office has been silent on player matters. Let’s not forget that oft-injured running back Michael Bennett is another player which will not be back in the Twin Cities for the 2006 season.

Terrell Owens to Denver. Owens to Chicago. Owens to Miami. The story remains the same. Owens is attempting to remake himself, which will be quite a feat, but will land him in an NFL city for the 2006 season despite his oft-controversial antics. The Eagles would welcome a deal for Owens, since they are convinced he has some value and have been reluctant to release the All-Pro caliber player.

The Cleveland Browns and running back Reuben Droughns are talking dollars and cents. With a year remaining on his contract, Droughns wants a new deal, and rushing for 1,000-plus yards for the Browns (which hadn't been done in two decades) helped establish his worth. However, getting a deal in place with uber-agent Drew Rosenhaus and the team could be an even larger feat. The team has all but closed the door on resigning free agent wide receiver Antonio Bryant at this time.

If released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the Baltimore Ravens are expected to have an interest in quarterback Brian Griese.

Tampa Bay head coach Jon Gruden believes quarterback Chris Simms is the future in Tampa and the team is actively attempting to re-sign the young quarterback prior to the free agent player signing period.

The New England Patriots don’t believe they will be able to re-sign wide receiver David Givens, due to the amount of interest expected in the explosive receiver. Expect the Patriots to turn their attention toward Joe Jurevicius, Corey Bradford, and possibly Koren Robinson.

The Arizona Cardinals are believed to be willing to trade wide receiver Bryant Johnson in a deal to obtain a running back.

Indications are the Washington Redskins may opt to retain linebacker LeVar Arrington, rather than release him as was expected late in the season. Also, there has been some quiet interest in Arrington by a couple teams (names unknown at this time) in a trade scenario, which appears unlikely due to his contract.

Plenty of speculation surrounds the status of Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams. Armed with a team-friendly contract, speculation has been that Williams is on the trading block. Contrary to that belief, those close to the Dolphins inform this column the team has no desire to deal the quirky Williams and have not been approached about a deal.

Re: Valentine's Day Free Agent Buzz

Looks like another team will be possibly looking at K-Rob.. The Patriots. I don't think the Vikes are gonna let him go. It does sound though that B-Will, and Chavous will both depart.

I still think they should let Chavous walk, and try to resign B-Will toplay at SS, or put him at CB, and let Winfield take over at SS.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

The Patsies had better keep their hands off of KRob...or I will go up there and kick Belichick's A$$!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

BIGDADDYG is offline Pro-Bowler

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    Looks like another team will be possibly looking at K-Rob.. The Patriots. I don't think the Vikes are gonna let him go. It does sound though that B-Will, and Chavous will both depart.

I still think they should let Chavous walk, and try to resign B-Will toplay at SS, or put him at CB, and let Winfield take over at SS.
    Well said Vikesfan!!! Got keep K-Rob for sure and spend some money for free agents to fill our needs.

Like my POPEYE Tattoo says " I
    Y AM
    WHAT
    I
    Y AM "

MrGopher16 is offline Hall of Famer

"cajunvike" wrote:
    The Patsies had better keep their hands off of KRob...or I will go up there and kick Belichick's A$$!!!
    Prove it!! :grin:
    ;-)

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

"cajunvike" wrote:
    On that covert operation you may have to beat up a few Red Sox goons on the way to Gillette stadium to give Belichick a piece of your mind.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"MrGopher16" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    Prove it!! :grin:
    OK...I will go up to Green Bay and kick Favray's A$$ first to prove it to you, Mr. Gopher! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

If the Pats offer K-Rob anything, I don't see it being a chunk of change that we can't match. If they don't want to pay Givens????? How much more do you think Givens commands compared to K-Rob?????? I don't see it being a sizable difference, why not retain Givens if he is such a hot item? The Pats would be more inclined to get Joe J for a million or so. That is JMHO.

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

It scares me how they talk about Smoot in that article. I still believe he's a solid CB but because of injuries he had trouble getting used to playing with us. I really like how it says that Michael Bennett WILL be gone, because as many of you know, I can't stand him...at all. I wouldn't mind keeping Brian Williams, but that won't happen if we keep Smoot. I'm also pretty happy that we're probably finally getting rid of Chavous.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

"LuckyVike" wrote:
    It scares me how they talk about Smoot in that article. I still believe he's a solid CB but because of injuries he had trouble getting used to playing with us. I really like how it says that Michael Bennett WILL be gone, because as many of you know, I can't stand him...at all. I wouldn't mind keeping Brian Williams, but that won't happen if we keep Smoot. I'm also pretty happy that we're probably finally getting rid of Chavous.

The problem with Smoot is he has a Big F'N Mouth.. He talks so much smack, and does not back it up.. Of course he was hampered by injuries, but if that is the case, don't run your mouth, and then get smoked in the game.

He talked alot of crap about Chad Johnson, and he got burned. Steve Smith, the same thing, got burned.. Then that boat incident didn't help matters at all. Especially when he was the one that paid for the boats, and has been charged in the incident..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast