Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: USC QB Mark Sabchez announces for draft

"Overlord" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    ....Unless you're clueless about the NFL, or the Minnesota Vikings, you know that they need a quarterback rather badly.Minnesota currently holds the No. 23 pick currently. There is a great chance that they will have to trade up if they want Mark on their team...
    Yeah, sign another hack college superstar and become the Lions of the NFL with QBs instead of WRs.
    Pretty poor analogy in my opinion.

The Lions spent three consecutive top 10 picks in a row on wide receivers, and four in five years.
    The Vikings haven't drafted a quarterback in round 1 since Daunte Culpepper in 1999.
    Since then, they've
    only drafted three quarterbacks total: Tarvaris Jackson (2nd round), Tyler Thigpen (7th round), and John David Booty (5th round).

Futhermore, the Lions were blasted not just for drafting wide receivers, but because it wasn't a need and wasn't working.
    They had problems across the board and only seemed to improve one position.
    The Vikings have had a pretty clear need at QB since Culpepper went down.

Finally, QB is clearly the most important position in the game.
    Finding a franchise QB is difficult, but if a team succeeds in doing so they are usually rewarded with many years of winning seasons and chances to win a Super Bowl.
    Once you have that guy, you can build around him.

But I don't watch much college football (and make a point of avoiding USC), so I'm not sure how good Sanchez really is.
    He could be a legitimate blue chip prospect, or he could be benefiting from a weak QB class.
    If the Vikes think he's legit, I say go for it.
    No, not the best of analogies, but, they don't need another developing QB that needs years to develop.
    They need someone that can play now.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"2beersTommy" wrote:
    "jkjuggalo" wrote:
    We already have Booty.

Why would we want a Dirty Sanchez?
    so we could move the team to cleveland, and be called the steamers?
    lol
    lmao
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I'm kindof torn on the whole "Stay in school to prepare yourself for the NFL" arguement.

If the kid is already good enough to go top 10 then it means he has mastered all that he can at that level.
    What more/good comes of another year of coaching at that level?
    Additional reps against teams that you are already beating up on?

I can see it to a point, however, I would think that getting a year of NFL coaching would benifit the kid more than collegiate coaching.
    Reps against NFL players would challenge him more than reps against collegiate players.

Whats the cliche' alot of you like to use?.........Push him to be better.
    How can he be pushed if he is already the best or one of the best?

I think it all comes back to money and if it will help the team (collegiate) and coach (collegiate) win and not what is best for the kid.

A coach was quoted on Mike and Mike this morning.
    It went something like this.......

If he goes pro he is doing whats good for his family, if he stays in college he is doing whats good for my family..........

I kindof think that coach is pretty smart and telling the truth.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

If Booty kept him on the bench during his stay there, how can he have developed to be THAT much better than JDB in one year??? If he is truly a 1st rounder, wouldn't he have unseeded JDB? (I admit, I did not see him play outside of the bowl game - I am just very curious as to the hype).

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"ThorSPL" wrote:
    If Booty kept him on the bench during his stay there, how can he have developed to be THAT much better than JDB in one year??? If he is truly a 1st rounder, wouldn't he have unseeded JDB? (I admit, I did not see him play outside of the bowl game - I am just very curious as to the hype).

Well Booty was the returning starter....I think that may have something to do with it.

I think the scouts see more potential from Sanchez. He has better "tools" so to speak. Stronger arm, more athleticism, etc.

If I were an NFL team, I'd be VERY shy about drafting Sanchez. I don't like the idea of taking a guy with one year of starting experience.

Then again, Cassel didn't play at all and he seems to be decent.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

IMO Sanchez is only going to be a high pick because of all the guys that are staying in college. I think he is entering the draft because of this. IMO he should stay as well.
    I like the guy but I would rather us pick up a FA or make a trade for a vet. We already have 2 young guys learning.

BTW his name is spelled wrong in the title of the thread. Not a big deal but it looks funny.
    ;D

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Ltrey" wrote:
    "ThorSPL" wrote:

Well Booty was the returning starter....I think that may have something to do with it.

I think the scouts see more potential from Sanchez. He has better "tools" so to speak. Stronger arm, more athleticism, etc.

If I were an NFL team, I'd be VERY shy about drafting Sanchez. I don't like the idea of taking a guy with one year of starting experience.

Then again, Cassel didn't play at all and he seems to be decent.
    I guess it depends on the team. Some coaching staffs are able to take a QB and alter the scheme around them as they develop which allows the team to move forward as the player develops.

Then there is the vikings.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123