Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42
  1. #21
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Undrafted QB Kyle Wright eager for fresh start with Vikings

    "C" wrote:
    How do you know Wright's mechanics were any better than Jackson's? You've probably seen him play once, maybe twice.
    I don't, nor did I ever say that I thought his mechanics were better.
    I have never seen him play a down, in fact, didn't really know his name before this.

    One poster said that he wanted a QB with solid mechanics.

    The second poster said that we already had one in TJack.

    I was simply pointing out that I don't think you can consider TJack to have solid mechanics at this point in his career.
    The was no comparison to Wright, or any other QB.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  2. #22
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Undrafted QB Kyle Wright eager for fresh start with Vikings

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "DustinDupont" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    At this point, I would take any QB with "solid mechanics".
    :
    We already got one!! TJack
    TJack is our starter, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that he has solid mechanics by any stretch.

    Hopefully this year we will see continued improvement.
    Here we go:


    With all due respect, NP - how are you qualified to judge Tarvaris' mechanics?
    Do you actually need a resume to comment on the play of an NFL player?
    While I certainly don't have the credentials to work on the Vikings coaching staff, I am not completely ignorant.
    Some of the mechanics in passing a football are fairly common knowledge.
    Anyone who has learned how to pass a football understands at least the basics of the mechanics.
    Absolutely.
    Which is why I'm wondering if you have studied his footwork, his arm motion, his follow-through, his hip placement, etc. etc. etc.
    You know - the components of his throwing motion to see if they follow the "ideal" for an NFL QB.

    Everyone here has seen TJack's jump pass, throwing off form his back foot, etc, so there is really no need to reopen any wounds.
    I believe that these problems are fixable, and commonly seen mistakes from inexperience.
    I also think that he will continue to get better as the year goes on.

    But if my word isn't good enough, perhaps we should look some who are more qualified than I

    http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/content/player_news.asp?sport=NFL&id=3708&line=109792
    Dec. 18, 2007 - 12:10 a.m. ET
    Tarvaris Jackson completed 18-of-29 passes for 249 yards, no TDs, and three interceptions in Week 15. He added 25 yards on seven rushes.
    Jackson had a miserable first half, struggling badly with his mechanics and directing passes well out of the reach of his intended targets, but gathered himself in the final two quarters and led a key touchdown drive. Jackson isn’t ready to single handedly win any games for Minnesota, but continues to take baby steps forward as a passer.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=C5E4A7AC7D391A9B30D3A18E2EC05990? id=09000d5d8053d150&template=with-video&confirm=true
    Posted: 12/18/2007
    Mechanics-poor Jackson in need of a tuneup
    by Vic Carucci
    |
    NFL.com

    I still like the Minnesota Vikings' chances of reaching the postseason and perhaps even making it past the wild-card round. But I'd like them more if I didn't see Tarvaris Jackson look as sloppy as he did with the football on Monday night.
    Two quotes about the same game - which the Vikings won, I might add.

    Ryan Leaf had FABULOUS mechanics, as I recall.

    IMHO - the real issue with Tarvaris is that he was used to being the best athlete on the field at Alabama State - and he could get away with throwing across his body on the run.
    In the NFL - he can't.
    And that's what he needs to learn and get past.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  3. #23
    Schutz's Avatar
    Schutz is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Undrafted QB Kyle Wright eager for fresh start with Vikings

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "DustinDupont" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    At this point, I would take any QB with "solid mechanics".
    :
    We already got one!! TJack
    TJack is our starter, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that he has solid mechanics by any stretch.

    Hopefully this year we will see continued improvement.
    Here we go:


    With all due respect, NP - how are you qualified to judge Tarvaris' mechanics?

    =Z=
    Alright, somebody call Webby and let him know we can shut down the sight, no need to have anybody comment on anything anymore because Zeus doesn't think we're qualified.

  4. #24
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Undrafted QB Kyle Wright eager for fresh start with Vikings

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Do you actually need a resume to comment on the play of an NFL player?
    While I certainly don't have the credentials to work on the Vikings coaching staff, I am not completely ignorant.
    Some of the mechanics in passing a football are fairly common knowledge.
    Anyone who has learned how to pass a football understands at least the basics of the mechanics.

    Everyone here has seen TJack's jump pass, throwing off form his back foot, etc, so there is really no need to reopen any wounds.
    I believe that these problems are fixable, and commonly seen mistakes from inexperience.
    I also think that he will continue to get better as the year goes on.
    Absolutely.
    Which is why I'm wondering if you have studied his footwork, his arm motion, his follow-through, his hip placement, etc. etc. etc.
    You know - the components of his throwing motion to see if they follow the "ideal" for an NFL QB.
    Since you asked...

    When given time, TJack throws a very good ball.
    He plants his feet, pushed off with his back leg, delivers the ball at the top of the arc, and follows through with this arm.
    However, in games, when he is under pressure, he has the tendency to skip a step or two.
    Specifically his foot work.

    Here is a video of TJack highlights.
    Notice that these are highlights, not low lights, so all of the passes have good results.
    But even in the highlight reels you can see evidence of his footwork issues.

    [youtube=425,350]GSZui599VfI[/youtube]
    00:31 With the first pass in this video, a blitzer comes in unchecked (thanks AD), and TJack does a good job or recognizing it. I won't get into whether or not it was a good decision to throw into the endzone on 1st and goal, but regardless you can see that his feet are not planted, his legs are too close together, and he is on his toptoes (to get over the defender) when he throws the ball.
    This was a GREAT catch by Rice.
    I won't call this a bad throw, because he was about to get hit, but it was not a good throw by any means, and he is lucky his WR is awesome.

    01:05 Very good throw here.
    Only a little pressure, but he moves up in the pocket, plants his back foot, and delivers it right on the money (maybe a little behind, but still good).

    01:13 Another good throw.
    No pressure on this pass either.
    See a pattern forming?

    01:37 Heavy pressure, flushed out of the pocket.
    Throws off from his back foot while fadein backwards.
    Throws right into traffic.
    Again, Rice bailed him out with a spectacular catch.

    01:45 This time there is absolutely nobody around him, but he still shuffle steps before the throw.
    There is no plant, no push off with his back leg.
    It is a good pass though, which tells me that he has incredible arm strength.

    02:20 Now this is a great throw again.
    Right on the money!

    02:34 Again, doesn't push off with his back leg.
    IMHO he is relying on his arm strength too much.
    hey, if it works, who am I to judge.
    But given his completion % and TD to INT ratio, I don't think that it works nearly enough.

    Time and time again last season I saw the same basic stuff.
    When he is under pressure, he does not throw the ball with the same mechanics that he does when he is not under pressure.
    I think this is something he can overcome though.
    I anxiously wait to see how he performs this year...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  5. #25
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,540

    Re: Undrafted QB Kyle Wright eager for fresh start with Vikings

    Cool video regardless... I see a lot of promise.

    Is it August yet?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  6. #26
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Undrafted QB Kyle Wright eager for fresh start with Vikings

    "C" wrote:
    Cool video regardless... I see a lot of promise.

    Is it August yet?
    That I can agree with.
    Some of those passes were pretty.
    And I do like the fact that he is mobile.
    He isn't a Vick (and I wouldn't want him to be), but he isn't a Brad Johnson either.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  7. #27
    Chazz is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    782

    Re: Undrafted QB Kyle Wright eager for fresh start with Vikings

    Watching Rice catch the ball gives me flashbacks to CC. 8)

  8. #28
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: Undrafted QB Kyle Wright eager for fresh start with Vikings

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Wright isn't sure how many teams wanted to sign him to a free-agent contract after the draft because he quickly decided to join the Vikings. He already had developed a rapport with quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers, and he was impressed with head coach Brad Childress. It didn't hurt that Rogers, Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell all have backgrounds working with quarterbacks
    Hmmmmm, as we see more and more of this type of stuff the crowd that believed we couldn't get players because of the Chiller seems to have finally subsided.

    Regardless, I throw the gauntlet down again for all to challenge if you still believe that way......

    Marrdro patiently waits for replies.
    :

    "Just trying to make the team in any way possible," Wright said of his goal. "It's a great opportunity and a privilege to be a part of this organization
    Practice squad this year, 3rd String 2010.

    2010 QB roster
    TJ
    Booty
    Wright


    Gonna be good to see a group of QBs grown in the system.
    Its the best way to approach that position.
    Heck, they might even address the QB position again in 2010 draft and put another rookie on the practice squad.

    Big picture my friends.
    Big picture.

    ;D
    Oce again you sabotage your own credibility with a ridicuously optimistic post.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  9. #29
    jessejames09's Avatar
    jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,234

    Re: Undrafted QB Kyle Wright eager for fresh start with Vikings

    Great post V.

  10. #30
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Undrafted QB Kyle Wright eager for fresh start with Vikings

    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Wright isn't sure how many teams wanted to sign him to a free-agent contract after the draft because he quickly decided to join the Vikings. He already had developed a rapport with quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers, and he was impressed with head coach Brad Childress. It didn't hurt that Rogers, Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell all have backgrounds working with quarterbacks
    Hmmmmm, as we see more and more of this type of stuff the crowd that believed we couldn't get players because of the Chiller seems to have finally subsided.

    Regardless, I throw the gauntlet down again for all to challenge if you still believe that way......

    Marrdro patiently waits for replies.
    :

    "Just trying to make the team in any way possible," Wright said of his goal. "It's a great opportunity and a privilege to be a part of this organization
    Practice squad this year, 3rd String 2010.

    2010 QB roster
    TJ
    Booty
    Wright


    Gonna be good to see a group of QBs grown in the system.
    Its the best way to approach that position.
    Heck, they might even address the QB position again in 2010 draft and put another rookie on the practice squad.

    Big picture my friends.
    Big picture.
    ;D
    Oce again you sabotage your own credibility with a ridicuously optimistic post.
    I am either missing the sarcasm here, or the ridiculous optimism.
    ???
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Paymah seeks fresh start
    By marstc09 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 04-15-2009, 01:03 PM
  2. Dan Mozes eager for new start
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 09:39 PM
  3. Kyle Wright cut
    By Capital_J in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-02-2008, 05:00 PM
  4. Lions | M. Williams to be given fresh start
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-22-2006, 11:34 AM
  5. A Fresh Start
    By Prophet in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-14-2006, 12:35 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •