Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vikings11_27 is offline Pro-Bowler

Ultimate (and realistic) Day 1 Draft

In my opinion, we have 3 Major needs, and a few minor needs.

Our three needs are DE, WR, and TE. Some of our minor needs are S, OL, DT, and CB.

Before anyone goes insane, let me explain everything, especially my minor needs. We need a safety to develop who will hopefully be our saftey of the future to replace Sharper in a year or two (I think that Blue will start next year). OL might seem like a big need, but I think that we will sign someone in free agency, seeing as there are a few good ones. DT would be a very late pick, maybe another developmental prospect who might be able to take over for phat pat in a couple of years. CB isn't urgent, but depth is needed (Smoot is gone).

Now the big needs. I think that with our first 3 picks, we will draft these positions.

DE

Currently: Erasmus James should come back and solidify one starting spot. He and Darrion Scott form and excellent rotation on one side. On the other side, we have Ray Edwards who can be a Lance Johnstone situational type player, but we need an solid everydown player.

Draft: With the 7th pick in the 2007 draft the Minensota Vikings select...DE Jamaal Anderson

This guy is an amazing talent. He is being compared to Richard Seymour, but faster. He is 6'6 280. But amazingly, this guy was scouted as a wide receivcer! He had 13.5 sacks and 19.5 tackles for a loss. He would be able to play everydown, using his size to move inside to DT on passing downs. This guys is a playmaker plain and simple and will immensely help our pass defense, but due to his size, he will not be a step down in run defense. He truly is an all-round prospect.

WR

Currently: We have nothing, diddly squat, nil, zip, zilch, nada. Travis taylor is gone because of his arrest, so the only players that we have are Troy Williamson, Bethel Johnson, and Billy McMullen. I don't think that Troy is a bust...yet...but he is awefuly close. I think that if the pressure is off of him and he puts in a lot of work this off-season, then he can contribute. But we definatly need help.

Draft: With the 39th pick in the 2007 draft the Minensota Vikings select...WR Sidney Rice

He is big, tall, fast, and can jump. Remind you of anyone? He will need some time, but he will be great. He's 6'4 four and runs around 4.40. If we can keep adding guys with this much talent, we will be in very good shape.

TE

Currently: Wiggins is pretty much gone. A lot of peoploe think he was good and Childress ruined him. But the truth is he just caught a lot of balls and fell over and this year he was asked to run and he couldn't. Jimmy K did a good job of what he's payed to do, which is block, but he is being payed entirely too much. I don't see either of these guys comeing back next year so we need someone athletic who can stretch the field.

Draft: With the 71st pick in the 2007 draft the Minensota Vikings select...TE Scott Chandler.

Once again, not a finished product, but a solid player with some athletic ability who can develpo into a good starter. A lot of people will look at players like him and Sidney Rice and say no thanks, they arn't ready for the NFL, but that's the wrong attitude. If we get physically gifted players and develop them, then before you know it, we will have a very good young talent pool. Chandler is 6'7 and is very good after the catch, which Childress should covet in the west coast offense. He began his college career as a wide receiver, even though he is 257 pounds.

That's my take on a good and realistic 1st day of the draft. Comments welcomed and encouraged. If you disagree, don't just say it sucks or i'm an idiot, explain why. Some ideas for free agency would be G Eric Steinbach, T Leonard Davis, T Max Starks so that is why I do not have OL as such a big need.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Ultimate (and realistic) Day 1 Draft

I don't agree with drafting a DE in the first round.
    We have plenty of young talent at DE, we don't need more, at least not with the 7th overall pick.
    If we can get Calvin Johnson we trade down and pick someone lick Jarett, or then maybe a DE, but get a 2nd round pick out of it.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    We have plenty of young talent at DE, we don't need more, at least not with the 7th overall pick.
    If we can get Calvin Johnson we trade down and pick someone lick Jarett, or then maybe a DE, but get a 2nd round pick out of it.
    It's true that we have some good young talent, but we need an upgrade over Kenechi. And I think that guys like edwards and scott and great role players but not everydown players, or else they would have started instead of Kenechi 'I can't do pooh when it comes to getting to the quarterback' Udeze. Plus, Anderson is an absolute beast. He is listed as Mel Kiper's 5th best overall player, as well as the best defensive player in the draft. Also, trading down is a risk, and if someone snatches Jarrett before us, then were screwed. To trade down and get a second rounder, we would need to go down to the 14 or 15th pick according to the value chart.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

How does Sidney Rice fall all the way to 39th?
    He could easily be the 2nd or 3rd WR off the board!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    We will let you lick Jarrett...while we pick the best player available!
    LOL

"vikings11_27" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    It's true that we have some good young talent, but we need an upgrade over Kenechi. And I think that guys like edwards and scott and great role players but not everydown players, or else they would have started instead of Kenechi 'I can't do pooh when it comes to getting to the quarterback' Udeze. Plus, Anderson is an absolute beast. He is listed as Mel Kiper's 5th best overall player, as well as the best defensive player in the draft. Also, trading down is a risk, and if someone snatches Jarrett before us, then were screwed. To trade down and get a second rounder, we would need to go down to the 14 or 15th pick according to the value chart.
    Better than the two DTs???
    If that is the case, he might not be there at #7...since the Skins and the Bucs could both use someone like that to upgrade their DL.

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "vikings11_27" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Better than the two DTs???
    If that is the case, he might not be there at #7...since the Skins and the Bucs could both use someone like that to upgrade their DL.
    It's true, but the bucs will take Calvin Johnson, or else we will and then this whole post goes out the window, and as for the skins, I think they will take alan branch.

"cajunvike" wrote:
    I think he's great but some teams might not take him because he isn't 'polished'. Most mocks have him going late first early second. And I think he is 4th or 5th receiver after Calvin Johnson, Dwayne Jarrett, Ted Ginn Jr., and maybe Dwayne Bowe.

Jamaal Anderson is a physical freak and his workout numbers will probably push him past Gaines Adams on draft boards.

"vikings11_27" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    I think he's great but some teams might not take him because he isn't 'polished'. Most mocks have him going late first early second. And I think he is 4th or 5th receiver after Calvin Johnson, Dwayne Jarrett, Ted Ginn Jr., and maybe Dwayne Bowe.
    I want us to wait on WR...unless we can get Calvin Johnson...and then NEXT YEAR draft Early Doucet out of LSU!
    He's from my hometown and that would be cool for me!
    ;D

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast