Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Re: Healthy Udeze set for Vikes' minicamp

"Rockmolder" wrote:
    Can't wait to see how he does, just for his sake. He seems like a good guy.

I don't want to knock on him, of course, but how good was he really in his first couple of seasons? He wasn't a dominating rusher and even with your Williams wall and Allen there, I doubt that he'll put up numbers worthy of his draft spot. Especially after coming back from a fight like he had with a horrible disease.
    I think he was pretty solid. He started 15 in 06 and 07, both of those years the Vikings lead the league in stopping the run. Granted the other guys played a big part in that, but you can't do that unless you have some talent at LDE, and that was without allen. And even though the vikings still had the best rush defense without him, they did allow more yards per game and more ypc carry.

Here are the rush numbers the last 3 seasons
    2006 985yds 61.6ypg 2.8ypc 9td
    2007 1185yds 74.1ypg 3.1ypc 7td
    2008 1230yds 76.9ypg 3.3ypc 10td

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

SO happy to have Udeze back

I was irriated with his 1 sack season but took a real look at why that happened

He is a good ball player and im glad he is getting healthy

kspurplepride is offline Pro-Bowler

not all DE's can be pass rushers, and Udeze is more of a run stopper.... although i expect him to be able to get more sacks than Edwards who was non existant and had some bone head penalties last year

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"kspurplepride" wrote:
    not all DE's can be pass rushers, and Udeze is more of a run stopper.... although i expect him to be able to get more sacks than Edwards who was non existant and had some bone head penalties last year
    In Mr. Edwards defense, he was playing out of position last year.

As you said, Keneche plays at the LDE postition for a reason, he is more of a run stuffer.
    Edwards doesn't have the ass to stand up to that kindof beating play in and out and still have the steps needed to get after the QB on passing downs unless he gets reps off.

Put Keneche back in there on base 4-3 sets, let him take the pounding playing the run and then sub guys like Ray and Rob in there on passing situations and you will see thier numbers go up.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

The guy is amasing, and can't be counted out. I bet Udeze starts at RDE this season, and once again leads the team for tackles for loss. He isn't a sack monster, but 5-8 sacks is reasonable being the RDE's primary responsibility is to crush the point of attack, and stop the run.
    I really don't think he's going to beat out Allen, or even make him switch sides. I'm sure Udeze will return to the left, where he will compete with Edwards, like he did in 07'.
    I think he has his sides crossed.
    Happens alot.
    Mostly because of the way the position is equated to who they face.......

RDE

DT

DT

LDE

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

Having said that, I expect him to take a few weeks to really get back into game shape.
    He has/had to lose alot of weight and regain his strenght.

Lets hope ole Leslie is up to the task of getting the proper reps for all in the rotation to support that effort.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Rockmolder" wrote:
    Can't wait to see how he does, just for his sake. He seems like a good guy.

I don't want to knock on him, of course, but how good was he really in his first couple of seasons? He wasn't a dominating rusher and even with your Williams wall and Allen there, I doubt that he'll put up numbers worthy of his draft spot. Especially after coming back from a fight like he had with a horrible disease.
    I think he was pretty solid. He started 15 in 06 and 07, both of those years the Vikings lead the league in stopping the run. Granted the other guys played a big part in that, but you can't do that unless you have some talent at LDE, and that was without allen. And even though the vikings still had the best rush defense without him, they did allow more yards per game and more ypc carry.

Here are the rush numbers the last 3 seasons
    2006 985yds 61.6ypg 2.8ypc 9td
    2007 1185yds 74.1ypg 3.1ypc 7td
    2008 1230yds 76.9ypg 3.3ypc 10td
    Keneche also played out of position one year as well when we didn't have anyone to plug in at RDE.
    Most of the people who don't think he is a good DE refer to that year as a bust.

I for one think he did an admirable job, just as I think Ray did a admirable job playing out of position last year.

"PurpleTide" wrote:
    "HEY" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

The guy is amasing, and can't be counted out. I bet Udeze starts at RDE this season, and once again leads the team for tackles for loss. He isn't a sack monster, but 5-8 sacks is reasonable being the RDE's primary responsibility is to crush the point of attack, and stop the run.
    I really don't think he's going to beat out Allen, or even make him switch sides. I'm sure Udeze will return to the left, where he will compete with Edwards, like he did in 07'.
    I agree with jessejames09 on this one. It's no way that Udeze is going to beat Allen for the right defensive end spot. HELL NO!!! Allen is perhaps the best RE in the NFL and Udeze is an underachiever (considering how high we drafted him). The left end position however, that's a whole other story. It will be interesting to see wether Udeze or Ray Edwards get the nod. I think Udeze is better against the run that Ray Edwards, but Edwards is probably a better pass rusher.

Anyhow, I'm glad to hear that Udeze is back in camp.
    My bad... I meant he'll start at LDE, I was looking at from the offense side, and got it mixed up. Most teams run right, and he is a better point of attack run stopper than Ray, and makes for a strong rotation. It's just a bonus if Kenechi is ready to play again.
    I should have read a few more posts.........

No worries my friend.
    Happens alot.

"kevoncox" wrote:
    I want him back but I question how healthy can he really be? He is going to have to get his strenght way up. Then there is getting use to hitting and being hit after. I have a friend that had testicular cancer. Physically he is close to being back after 3 years but mentally he has neve rbeen the same.
    Interesting point.

I sure hope he has his head screwed on right and the staff do the smart thing with rotation so that he not only gets built up but he is put in the right situations to succeed.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

So passing downs do you see: (assuming he takes LDE)

JA

KW

BR/RE

KE

as our pass-rush set?

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"ThorSPL" wrote:
    So passing downs do you see: (assuming he takes LDE)

JA

KW

BR/RE

KE

as our pass-rush set?
    Gee, I hate moving Ray or Robison inside on passing downs. I'd rather move Udeze inside.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast