Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Two Mock Drafts(After the Jared Allen Trade)

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "vikesfargo" wrote:
    The Vikings still need to draft a developmental QB in the 5th, 6th, or 7th round. I didn't see one listed on these mock drafts.

There needs to be that young guy, 4th in the depth chart, pushing TJack. Secondly, all four QBs (Jackson, Frerotte, Bollinger, and the developmental guy) need to be retained for the whole season. Third, none can be put on the practice squad because then another team will just sign that guy and we'll lose him (as happened with Tyler Thigpen and the Chiefs).

Frerotte is a career backup who is in his 14th NFL year. Bollinger is a career backup who is still young. Jackson is the starter. We need another guy who comes along and challenges Bollinger for the starting spot.

BTW, good moves getting Frerotte, Bernard Berrian, Madieu Williams, and Jared Allen. On Troy Williamson, OK, we'll see what happens.

Very solid off-season so far.
    They need to draft a QB because it is the right thing to do as the QB position, unlike all positions should be addressed at least every year or so until you have a reliable starter and a solid backup that are both grown in the system.

But to come with the thought that another young QB on the bench is gonna "Push TJ" is crazy and one of those things that gets me up on a soap box and asks the poster who says it the following questions:

a.
    Why do you think TJ needs to be pushed?
    b.
    Is he so confident with his place in life that he is approaching the job with a lazy approach?
    c.
    Do you really think a rookie QB will be able to come in and unseat him at this point because TJ is lazy?

Comeon my friend.
    This kid has done nothing but give everything to this team from the minute he got here.
    He has never thrown any of his teamates under the bus and has shown improvement from one year to the next.

Again, I ask, why do you think he needs to be pushed.
    My guess is that he is pushing himself more than a 3rd string rookie sitting on the bench ever would.
    :
    and the Colts should draft a rookie somewhere in this draft to push Peyton Manning!!!! ;D

that wasn't meant for you.. just piggybacking!!

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "vikesfargo" wrote:
    The Vikings still need to draft a developmental QB in the 5th, 6th, or 7th round. I didn't see one listed on these mock drafts.

There needs to be that young guy, 4th in the depth chart, pushing TJack. Secondly, all four QBs (Jackson, Frerotte, Bollinger, and the developmental guy) need to be retained for the whole season. Third, none can be put on the practice squad because then another team will just sign that guy and we'll lose him (as happened with Tyler Thigpen and the Chiefs).

Frerotte is a career backup who is in his 14th NFL year. Bollinger is a career backup who is still young. Jackson is the starter. We need another guy who comes along and challenges Bollinger for the starting spot.

BTW, good moves getting Frerotte, Bernard Berrian, Madieu Williams, and Jared Allen. On Troy Williamson, OK, we'll see what happens.

They need to draft a QB because it is the right thing to do as the QB position, unlike all positions should be addressed at least every year or so until you have a reliable starter and a solid backup that are both grown in the system.

But to come with the thought that another young QB on the bench is gonna "Push TJ" is crazy and one of those things that gets me up on a soap box and asks the poster who says it the following questions:

a.
    b.
    Is he so confident with his place in life that he is approaching the job with a lazy approach?
    c.
    Do you really think a rookie QB will be able to come in and unseat him at this point because TJ is lazy?

Comeon my friend.
    This kid has done nothing but give everything to this team from the minute he got here.
    He has never thrown any of his teamates under the bus and has shown improvement from one year to the next.

My guess is that he is pushing himself more than a 3rd string rookie sitting on the bench ever would.
    :
    Quarterback is the most important position on any pro football team.

Jackson needs to be pushed because he hasn't proven 100% that he is the quarterback of the here, now and future. He hasn't had a season yet of 25 TD and 10 INT. I've been a big Jackson supporter the whole way. I think we just need to recognize that until he 100% proves himself we can't be 100% sure he's the guy. I think he still has time to prove himself. I am a big believer in and fan of Jackson. I'm also a believer in taking another guy just in case.

As for Bollinger, maybe he won't adapt fast enough and we'll need another backup QB at some point in the future.

Best case scenario:

starting QB: proven starter of 25 TD and 10 or fewer INT
    backup QB: proven reliable backup not susceptible to injury
    developmental QB: young player in development

What we have currently:

starting QB: good player who might become a proven starter
    backup QB: two proven backups that are susceptible to injury
    developmental QB: none

What we should do: keep Frerotte and Bollinger as the backups and get a developmental QB in the draft. Keep all four on the roster for the whole year. Hopefully next off-season we will be ready to switch to the ideal scenario and keep only three QBs on the active roster.

Go Vikings!

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"vikesfargo" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "vikesfargo" wrote:

a.
    b.
    c.

Comeon my friend.

:
    Quarterback is the most important position on any pro football team.

Jackson needs to be pushed because he hasn't proven 100% that he is the quarterback of the here, now and future. He hasn't had a season yet of 25 TD and 10 INT. I've been a big Jackson supporter the whole way. I think we just need to recognize that until he 100% proves himself we can't be 100% sure he's the guy. I think he still has time to prove himself. I am a big believer in and fan of Jackson. I'm also a believer in taking another guy just in case.

As for Bollinger, maybe he won't adapt fast enough and we'll need another backup QB at some point in the future.

Best case scenario:

starting QB: proven starter of 25 TD and 10 or fewer INT
    backup QB: proven reliable backup not susceptible to injury
    developmental QB: young player in development

What we have currently:

starting QB: good player who might become a proven starter
    backup QB: two proven backups that are susceptible to injury
    developmental QB: none

What we should do: keep Frerotte and Bollinger as the backups and get a developmental QB in the draft. Keep all four on the roster for the whole year. Hopefully next off-season we will be ready to switch to the ideal scenario and keep only three QBs on the active roster.
    we by no means have a proven backup in Brooks... all he has proven is that he can hold a clip board and put his uniform on properly... my guess is if he gets cut, he won't get another job in the league....

He'll probably be camp arm and then cut if we draft another QB...

urvaday is offline Training Camp

i bet we get a 1st rounder via brayant mckennie trade

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

"urvaday" wrote:
    i bet we get a 1st rounder via brayant mckennie trade
    how much would u like to wager on that?

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Do you think they offered McKinnie as part of the Allen/KC trade?
    He would be a good fit in their run first offense.
    I was hoping they'd take the first and McKinnie, oh well.
    We still got our guy!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"mountainviking" wrote:
    We still got our guy!
    You'd rather have two third round picks instead of Mckinnie?

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

"mountainviking" wrote:
    We still got our guy!
    eeeeeeeeh
    i would have rather given a 2nd and BMac, but i am extremely happy with what our trade was, and we still have to wait out BMacs situation, woo hoo

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

hx38596 is offline Pro-Bowler

"skum" wrote:
    Jamie Silva is flat out amazing on special teams..

I like Collins more than Cousins too.. However im not diggiin the U TENN love..

Dont count out Reggie Smith in the second round either.
    Yeah, I agree on Reggie Smith.
    Especially with drafting for depth... he plays well at corner AND safety.

Chazz is offline Coordinator

"Marrdro" wrote:
    The first one looks better than the second if for no other reason than they are wasting a pick at TE but I could/would live with it.

Truth be told, if in fact they draft
    BPA and not for need we might be all suprised with who they draft this year as they are drafting for depth only and IMHO don't need to worry about any instant starters for the first time in this regime.

Key Note:
    For all you yutz's who are gonna come with the same old lame "We Need a C and a OT".
    I don't see any rookie coming in that is drafted this year and beating out Chase Johnson or Dan Mozes for the right to start.
    Disagree with me all you want, but your not gonna convince me.

;D

So with that said......and one more time for possible penetration.....Spielman + 2008 + BPA = Drafting for depth.
    Not starters.

;D

The Colts drafted Ugoh last year in the 2nd and was immediately the starter; and did a fine job at that. What makes you so sure that Baker couldn't come in and do better than Chase? If they do indeed draft a LT in the 2nd, it won't be to ride the bench and watch Chase Johnson. You need to remember that Cook was a center in college and they moved him to RT; by the end of his first year they had him in the starting role. As has been evident since Childress has been here, the staff has no problem throwing a rookie into the fire.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast