Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Twin Cities Press "Not Hard" on Vikes Draft

I have read all off the Twin Cities Press on the draft to date and frankly it surprises me on how complimentry they are with the Vikings draft picks. Frankly, it's out of their character, and that worries me. :lol:
    They didn't say the Vikes did great, but they didn't say they were terrible either. It seems it's kind of a "wait and see" attitude.
    I think Childress gave some great reasons why the Vikes did what they did and after reading them I am far more comfortable on the team's draft day decisions. Granted they made a mistake in hindsite, but those things happen to everyone.
    I am still VERY HIGH on Childress and the TOA at this point. I think a lot of people who said this was the worst draft ever for the Vikes and are calling for Foley's head will look back on this year as a watershed year for the Vikes fortunes.
    I like what the press has said about any draft..."If, after three years you can look back and have two good players out of the draft, it was a success." Well, I think there are going to be four players here who will shine. Two of them will make an immediate impact and two more in three years will be shining, too.
    I hope I'm right.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Twin Cities Press "Not Hard" on Vikes Draft

I don't think the draft was horrible. I may have wanted different things to happen after the 1st 2 picks but who am I to say anything? I don't have the entire story like the organization does. I am happy with the 1st 2 and obtaining Artis Hicks. That totally solidifies the line and it has depth. I'm not so high on the others but according to the experts they all have an upside with potential. Let's just hope they were wrong on the work ethics

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

IMHO, the draft went downhill when we picked Tavaris...mainly because I didn't want a project. I feel that we could have gotten him later in the third round of the draft and not sacrificed the other third rounder (which we could have used to possibly trade for Donnie Edwards). The Hicks deal will probably pan out though. Still want to see if Greenway will be better than Carpenter as well...not knocking it yet, just curious.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

I am also surprised the media didn't lambast the Vikes. I feel better about the draft now. Pre-draft, the TOA was talking about how deep the draft was, and how happy they were to have 5 picks in the first three rounds. Then to see them use those picks to "reach" for players long before they were projected was disheartening.

Now I'm more neutral and willing to let things pan out before passing further judgment.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I will admit, I was a little pissed off when it came time for our 2nd rd picks.
    We took Cedric Griffin with our #48pick, which was fine because we needed a CB.. I thought for sure we were going after a QB with our #51 pick, instead we take Ryan Cook, which at the time I thought was stupid because we already have backups at C, didn't realize until later on that he can play several positions..

When I saw we traded with Pits and got their #64 pick, I thought for sure we were going after a QB. We did, just not any of the 3 I thought they were going after. I would have liked Jacobs, and think that he will fare better in the NFL then Tavaris Jackson, but if Childress is that good at mentoring QB's, then I will wait and se how it all pans out. Overall it was a good draft, Greenway will be a starter right away, and Griffin has a shot at the Nickel back role.. If those 2 make immediate impacts, then it was a success..

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    IMHO, the draft went downhill when we picked Tavaris...mainly because I didn't want a project. I feel that we could have gotten him later in the third round of the draft and not sacrificed the other third rounder (which we could have used to possibly trade for Donnie Edwards). The Hicks deal will probably pan out though. Still want to see if Greenway will be better than Carpenter as well...not knocking it yet, just curious.

Cajun I know you wanted DeAngelo bad, and I can understand that. I was kind of hoping that we would get Greenway with 17 and then make a move to trade up into the 1st and get DeAngelo which would have made the draft a A+ for me no matter what they did after that!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"whackthepack" wrote:
    Cajun I know you wanted DeAngelo bad, and I can understand that. I was kind of hoping that we would get Greenway with 17 and then make a move to trade up into the 1st and get DeAngelo which would have made the draft a A+ for me no matter what they did after that!
    I wanted Hodge with the 51st pick. It's gonna make me sick to watch him lead the Packers in tackles for the next 10 years.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Big C is offline Coordinator

I just have this nagging feeling that we got outsmarted by the jets. We were going to take Clemens with #51 but they swooped in and picked him before we could. We panicked and picked Cook with #51. Then as the QBs started going we panicked again and traded away our 3rds to get Jackson.

I have confidence in the talent. But the way we managed our picks made me sick. Especially after seeing masterful pick management by the Broncos, Giants and Patriots on the same day.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Big C" wrote:
    I just have this nagging feeling that we got outsmarted by the jets. We were going to take Clemens with #51 but they swooped in and picked him before we could. We panicked and picked Cook with #51. Then as the QBs started going we panicked again and traded away our 3rds to get Jackson.

I have confidence in the talent. But the way we managed our picks made me sick. Especially after seeing masterful pick management by the Broncos, Giants and Patriots on the same day.
    And the Packers, although it pains me to give Ted Thompson any credit. They ended up with TWELVE picks this weekend, as well as ridding themselves of the Javon Walker cancer.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

PurpleAndy is offline Starter

To the people who think that this was the worst draft in Vikings history, I submit to you:

2001 Minnesota Vikings Draft Selections

1. Michael Bennett
    2. Willie Howard
    3. Eric Kelly
    4. Shawn Worthen
    5. Cedric James
    6. Patrick Chukwurah
    7. Carey Scott
    8. Brian Crawford

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast