Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: troy williamson rumor

I hear all kinds of spew on the radio. Probably just an opinion of some DJ.

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    I hear all kinds of spew on the radio. Probably just an opinion of some DJ.
    thats exactly what it is, some radio dj coming up with some fantasy of his; just like talk about the t-wolves trading garnett. i think it would be stupid to get rid of williamson he has lots of talent and when he settles in i think he will be very exciting to watch.
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

The word on all the forums is this..
    troy williamson & marcus johnson

for

domanik davis, 2nd rd, and the 3rd rd. (they have back to back picks in the 3rd.)

tell me what you guys think! Looks really good to me. With double picks, it'd help out our draft alot.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Maybe there is some truth to the thought afterall?

Houston, You Have a Problem

Viking Update Staff - Scout.com
    January 30, 2006 at 10:23am ET
    In the land of the Texans, Houston fans are trying to justify who to take with their first-round pick. It's unclear if new coach Gary Kubiak is on board, but one solution could be what the Texans top brass was looking at last year.

Any time you have the first pick in the NFL draft, it's a sign that you've hit bottom. In some instances, like the Chargers from a couple of years ago, it can be a short-term demise. In others, like the Niners from last year, it has more of a long-term feel to it.

So it is that the Houston Texans have the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft three months from now. The questions are already being tossed out whether to go for hometown hero Vince Young or snap up USC's Reggie Bush . There are drawbacks to both -- the Texans have already invested heavily in QB David Carr and RB Dominick Davis . Enter the Vikings, stage left.

About a week ago, VU was posed a question by a Texans beat writer about Davis. The crux of the question was whether new Vikings coach Brad Childress was enamored with the idea of a Brian Westbrook-type running back in the Vikings offense? If so, the Vikings could be the ideal trade partner for the Texans.

The scouting department for the Texans had designs on taking Troy Williamson in the draft last year and the Vikings scuttled those plans by making Williamson a surprise selection at No. 7 overall. The team liked Williamson as an ideal complement to big, physical Andre Johnson, but that plan was shot down when he went off the board to the Vikings.

It's the feeling around Houston that if Young is the choice, Carr has to go. But if Bush is the pick, Davis just as likely has to go since he signed a big contract just two years ago and the No. 1 overall pick will command a ton of cash to get signed. The Vikings might make the perfect dance partner for the Texans.

While this may sound like simply a concocted rumor, VU's being told there may be considerably more validity to this deal and it would likely require both teams to move relatively quickly once free agency begins or even before. The Vikings are going to be looking for a running back, whether in free agency or the draft, and the Texans have multiple needs on both sides of the ball. With money to spend, both teams are likely to be free agent players and getting that piece of business done -- a running back for the Vikings and clearing out the competition for the Texans -- would likely have to get done early.

While several other parameters will have to fall into place, this is a proposed trade that could have win-win possibilities for both teams -- giving the Vikings the running back they need to make Brad Childress' system work and giving the Texans a speed receiver and clearing the way for another Bush to make a run in Texas.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

whiteviking24 is offline Pro-Bowler

I would like to see Williamson uuummmm........STAY!

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

I don't like the idea of trading of our top pick from last year.

The guy still has huge potential, and is someone to build a WR-core around for years to come.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"cogitans" wrote:
    I don't like the idea of trading of our top pick from last year.

The guy still has huge potential, and is someone to build a WR-core around for years to come.
    I feel the same cogitans, Troy will develope into one of the best WR's in the NFL.....I truly believe this.....

We would be foolish to trade him...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

I think there's an argument to made for the trade because we do have a talented WR corps already. We need a RB, another LB and/or another SS. I feel like there will be some personnel changes in the defense, and those extra draft picks will help us out.

That being said, I think TW has proven that he has the potential to be a great receiver, and while I do think D. Davis is a good RB, I'd like to keep Troy and see what we can draft or purchase since we're so far under the cap.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Well Domanick Davis could be a great addition to this team. He has rushed for 1000 yards in two of the three seasons that he's been in the league, behind an offensive line widely regarded as the worst in the NFL. He can hit holes decisively, and is shifty enough to be hard to bring down. He is a smooth route runner, and is very good at catching the ball out of the backfield. I don't know what type of offense Houston runs (since their offensive line has never let them run it), but i think Davis would be a good fit in a west coast style. Plus, you know he has plenty of experiance reading pass rushes. Last season, he didn't hit the 1000 yard mark. He was injured for much of the season, and had knee surgery before the last game of the season. That's a concern. I don't think he's ever played more than 14 games in a season, so he does have a propensity for getting dinged up.

The Vikings, IMO, do have a need for a feature back. The only guys they have under contract for next year are Moore, Fason, and Smith. Moore has shown more of a tendency to get injured than Davis, and doesn't have as complete a game. Fason was put in the role of short yardage back last year, and routinely got stuffed when it counted. I don't know how he would work in a feature role. Smith, well, I'd suspect that for all intents and purposes, Smith is done with the Vikings. He's one failed/missed test away from a permaban, and is too big a risk to use up a roster space.

I think having Davis at the top of the RB depth chart would be an improvement for this team.

However, that would mean losing Williamson.

Williamson is a speedy guy with good-but-not-great hands. He needs to work on his route-running, and his adjustments to the ball. All of that is normal for rookie wide receivers, who usually take 2 to 3 years to fully grasp how their position is played in the NFL. The story on williamson is that he could still end up anywhere from a bust to a stud, but has shown encouraging signs.

He was drafted to fill a perceived need for a speedy outside receiver. At the time, it was the hope that he could draw the safetys deep, and keep the coverages honest. Two things mitigated against that happening. First, he was a rookie, and rookies don't scare opposing defenses.
    Second, We were able to sign K-Rob after the draft. Now, K-Rob came with plenty of issues of his own, but throughout the season, he seemed to show that he had exorcised those demons, and was ready to play to his potential. Now, assuming that we can re-sign Robinson, We could have a solid corps of receivers without Williamson, with K-Rob and Burleson at 1 and 2, Taylor and M-Rob at 3 and 4.

I don't like losing Williamson in case he does become a stud, but if, as a previous post mentioned, we can get Davis and a few draft picks, I think the move would improve the team more than staying put. Remember, TO was only worth a 3rd round pick, but Houston basically has to unload Davis in order to draft Bush, so we can squeeze a bit more out of them than we could otherwise.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    The word on all the forums is this..
    troy williamson & marcus johnson

for

domanik davis, 2nd rd, and the 3rd rd. (they have back to back picks in the 3rd.)

tell me what you guys think! Looks really good to me. With double picks, it'd help out our draft alot.
    We don't need to get rid of Marcus Johnson...he will be much improved this season...TWill for DDavis straight up...remember, Davis was named Rookie of the Year in his first season.

http://www.nflplayers.com/players/player.aspx?id=34474
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast