Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re:Troup (DT) to visit Vikings (Possible 3rd rnd)

AngloVike wrote:
    I caught a couple of NFLTA over the weekend ( as we don't them everyday now like we used to :-( ). One name that was thrown out was Terence Cody as a possible replacement for Phat Pat at NT. I don't know that much about him but could see the reasoning for getting an understudy in now to groom ready to replace Pat - anyone got any info or views on him ?

Terrence Cody.

I'm not crazy about this guy. He's a massive guy, at 6'5", 365. Definitely just a one or two down player. Not nearly as quick as Pat is. I've watched him play a copule times, and he has stood out, making some huge plays, but I'm not sure how many of those are due to the fact that he simply is just much bigger than his competition.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    AngloVike wrote:
    I caught a couple of NFLTA over the weekend ( as we don't them everyday now like we used to :-( ). One name that was thrown out was Terence Cody as a possible replacement for Phat Pat at NT. I don't know that much about him but could see the reasoning for getting an understudy in now to groom ready to replace Pat - anyone got any info or views on him ?

Terrence Cody.

I'm not crazy about this guy. He's a massive guy, at 6'5", 365. Definitely just a one or two down player. Not nearly as quick as Pat is. I've watched him play a copule times, and he has stood out, making some huge plays, but I'm not sure how many of those are due to the fact that he simply is just much bigger than his competition.
    The current thought process out there on Codey is that he will go about the middle of the first round to one of the 3-4 teams.

With the Phins adding Dansby, it appears to me that they will look to shore up thier middle on the DL and Cody seems to be a good fit there. Regardless, I don't think he is gonna be there at 30.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Kennedy has resigned. Moving along. We have Pat and Kevin. We have great young backups in Evans and Guion. We also have Robison that plays there sometimes. We are set. We also have Tremaine Johnson on the practice squad.
    We are far from set my friend.

a. Kevin disappeared at times last year.
    b. Phat Pat took alot of reps of, alot of reps.
    c. JK, filled in admirably but he is the same age as Kevin.
    d. Rob only fills in on passing downs.
    e. I like Guion, but he is still probably a year away from taking over (which is a good thing) for Kevin, not Phat Pat.

Hopefully Guion will see some extra time, which will give Kevin a few reps off so he doesn't fade down the stretch.

I like the signing of JK and think he will continue to take the extra reps when Phat Pat can't go, however, if this is Phat Pats last year, we better have someone groomed to backup JK. Enter Troup.

Of course, we could, as the old regime did, just try to plug guys in right off the street instead of having some sort of long term plan to replace aging vets.
    See the Vikings on the clock thread.

I don't really get you sometimes. Troup comes here and will need more time than Guion and Evans. These guys are going to be ready when Pat leaves. Both have played quite well. Like I said, we are set. Mark my words, we will not see a DT picked in the early rounds or even at all nor will we go after a FA. Again, we are set. We have more pressing needs. CB, G, OT, RB, FB, and maybe LB or S are all above DT.

marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Kennedy has resigned. Moving along. We have Pat and Kevin. We have great young backups in Evans and Guion. We also have Robison that plays there sometimes. We are set. We also have Tremaine Johnson on the practice squad.

e. I like Guion, but he is still probably a year away from taking over (which is a good thing) for Kevin, not Phat Pat.

Hopefully Guion will see some extra time, which will give Kevin a few reps off so he doesn't fade down the stretch.

I like the signing of JK and think he will continue to take the extra reps when Phat Pat can't go, however, if this is Phat Pats last year, we better have someone groomed to backup JK. Enter Troup.

Of course, we could, as the old regime did, just try to plug guys in right off the street instead of having some sort of long term plan to replace aging vets.

I don't really get you sometimes. Troup comes here and will need more time than Guion and Evans. These guys are going to be ready when Pat leaves. Both have played quite well. Like I said, we are set. Mark my words, we will not see a DT picked in the early rounds or even at all nor will we go after a FA. Again, we are set. We have more pressing needs. CB, G, OT, RB, FB, and maybe LB or S are all above DT.
    You don't get me? :blink: You should say you don't get Spielman.....

If you look at the way most boards are falling, the best fit for what the team needs is CB. Then when you get to the bottom of the second its DT.

Of course that is my interpretation of what each team needs and what they will take at that given time based on whats available.

The way you would do it, going on "Pressing Needs" then would be for them to reach for a cat (ala Cook) instead of taking the best player available the way Spielman does it.

As to team needs. I think my priorities are bit different than yours.

You say we need a G. I say our G's are fine. Thier drop off in production was directly related to Sully getting his feet wet. This year they will be fine.

You say we need a OT. I can agree with that, however, I don't see a OT at 30 or at 64 worth taking.

You say we need a FB. I say we don't even use a FB so why draft one and even if we did, none of them are slotted to go in the first 4-6 rounds with the exception of one. Bring in a few undrafted cats and give them a shot.

You say we need a RB. I say we have two fine young RB's already familiar with the system. What the heck would you burn a high pick on another young inexperienced back for? Again, get one late in the rounds. There are lots of good ones to choose from.

You say we need a LB. I agree as long as your talking OLB and not MLB. We already have a young MLB ready and raring to go. What we need is a cat to come in and learn behind Leber for a year. Again, if one is there at 30, take him, but I am not so sure there isn't better value later on.

You say we need a S. Again, we have 2 young cats already there learning (and making mistakes while they are learning). Why burn a high pick on another young cat to come in and make the same mistakes?

You say we don't need a DT cause we already have one young guy and 3 old guys. I say we have a young guy backing up Kevin and a old guy as old as Kevin backing up Phat Pat. Ohhhh, I almost forgot Evans (career backup) that you think is part of the solution. I say he isn't part of the solution, just a career backup. Who is gonna take over for Phat Pat next year. You say JK, and I agree with that, however, who will back up JK in 2011 and beyond?

After reading that, I guess I can see why you don't get me. B)
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:

You don't get me? :blink: You should say you don't get Spielman.....

If you look at the way most boards are falling, the best fit for what the team needs is CB. Then when you get to the bottom of the second its DT.

Of course that is my interpretation of what each team needs and what they will take at that given time based on whats available.

The way you would do it, going on "Pressing Needs" then would be for them to reach for a cat (ala Cook) instead of taking the best player available the way Spielman does it.

As to team needs. I think my priorities are bit different than yours.

You say we need a G. I say our G's are fine. Thier drop off in production was directly related to Sully getting his feet wet. This year they will be fine.

You say we need a OT. I can agree with that, however, I don't see a OT at 30 or at 64 worth taking.

You say we need a FB. I say we don't even use a FB so why draft one and even if we did, none of them are slotted to go in the first 4-6 rounds with the exception of one. Bring in a few undrafted cats and give them a shot.

You say we need a RB. I say we have two fine young RB's already familiar with the system. What the heck would you burn a high pick on another young inexperienced back for? Again, get one late in the rounds. There are lots of good ones to choose from.

You say we need a LB. I agree as long as your talking OLB and not MLB. We already have a young MLB ready and raring to go. What we need is a cat to come in and learn behind Leber for a year. Again, if one is there at 30, take him, but I am not so sure there isn't better value later on.

You say we need a S. Again, we have 2 young cats already there learning (and making mistakes while they are learning). Why burn a high pick on another young cat to come in and make the same mistakes?

You say we don't need a DT cause we already have one young guy and 3 old guys. I say we have a young guy backing up Kevin and a old guy as old as Kevin backing up Phat Pat. Ohhhh, I almost forgot Evans (career backup) that you think is part of the solution. I say he isn't part of the solution, just a career backup. Who is gonna take over for Phat Pat next year. You say JK, and I agree with that, however, who will back up JK in 2011 and beyond?

After reading that, I guess I can see why you don't get me. B)
    LOL. Every year you go through the same thing. Every year I come back and say I told you so. You are right are priorities are always different. Lets just take a look at last year. I said our needs were WR, OT, CB, LB, and S. Guess what we drafted? I didn't see any DT like you wanted. I have a feeling I know what I am talking about so can the crap. BTW you assume a lot in your post.

At first you laughed at me wanting a CB, now you are all over it.

Anyways, how can you same guard is fine? Rally!!?? We lost Hicks! We have Herrera who IMO is not that great but serviceable and Hutch who is coming off injury. How can you say G is not a need. That makes no sense. We need to protect Favre. What happens is either goes down? We don't even have a G on the practice squad. A guard will be drafted if not taken care of in FA. You can take that to the bank.

Tahi is not resigned yet. FB is a need. Period.

RB is a need. Yes we have two youngs guys. Peterson is a hard runner. What do you do if he gets injured? We looked at LT. Didn't I already explain this? We will draft a RB or via FA. Who said anything about burning a high pick? I said it is a need. Period.

I thought LB was common knowledge. I just assumed a fan would know who I was talking about replacing in the future. I understand we have Henderson and Brinkley, I am not an idiot. To be clearer, yes I mean Leber.

Again, with OT I said nothing about where in the draft. I just said it was a need. I have not decided on position yet.

As for S, that is the type of pick you make like Peterson and Percy. If an upgrade is there, you take it. Mays IMO is an upgrade. Might not be a huge need but one area that is always not up to par is the secondary. If an upgrade is there, you take it. Our staff has proved that already.

You can keep rambling about DT. Fact is, we have solid starters, solid backups, and solid young guys. They did enough to take him away from Buffalo. Obviously they have plans for him. There is no need to look for Kennedys replacement right now. Again, we have other more important needs.

marstc09 wrote:
    LOL. Every year you go through the same thing. Every year I come back and say I told you so. You are right are priorities are always different. Lets just take a look at last year. I said our needs were WR, OT, CB, LB, and S. Guess what we drafted? I didn't see any DT like you wanted. I have a feeling I know what I am talking about so can the crap. BTW you assume a lot in your post.
    You told me so? If I'm not mistaken my mock drafts, for 3 years, have had the first two pick right for the Vikes. How have you told me anything?

Again, what I would do vs what the FO pukes do are two different things. As I said, I would take a DT. They didn't.

At first you laughed at me wanting a CB, now you are all over it.
    I picked a CB cause that is the BPA during that mock. Trust me, if a DT, OLB, S, OT falls there I would entertain pulling one of them instead of a CB and get a CB in the second as there is lots of depth at that position.

Anyways, how can you same guard is fine? Rally!!?? We lost Hicks! We have Herrera who IMO is not that great but serviceable and Hutch who is coming off injury. How can you say G is not a need. That makes no sense. We need to protect Favre. What happens is either goes down? We don't even have a G on the practice squad. A guard will be drafted if not taken care of in FA. You can take that to the bank.
    We are fine at G. Issues with Herrera and Hutch were related to Sully and his inexperience. As with Hutch's injury, that will be a moot/mute point.

Will they look to draft a OLmen? Sure, but I bet it is a OT that will/could fill in at G while he learns the ropes.

Tahi is not resigned yet. FB is a need. Period.
    Agree. Two issues with drafting one.....

1. Only 2 are projected as draftable in this class. All the others can be had as UDFA's. Why burn a pick on one unless of course you want the FO pukes to reach for one (ala Cook).

2. Are you know flip flopping back to needing one for a offensive threat? If that is the case then I could see your concern. I am still of the mind that they just need a thick neck, knee bender. Again, bring in a few UDFA's, have a look if not, go with Dugan, Sauce, whomever......

RB is a need. Yes we have two youngs guys. Peterson is a hard runner. What do you do if he gets injured? We looked at LT. Didn't I already explain this? We will draft a RB or via FA. Who said anything about burning a high pick? I said it is a need. Period.
    Flip flop. What is it. Draft or FA.

You are correct, we did look at LT, we still might be looking at Westbrook. Those are Vet solutions, not rooks.

I thought LB was common knowledge. I just assumed a fan would know who I was talking about replacing in the future. I understand we have Henderson and Brinkley, I am not an idiot. To be clearer, yes I mean Leber.
    Well, excuuuuuuuse me. There are some out there who don't like Brinkley. I haven't memorized every post of yours so I am not aware of what position you are most concerned about.

See my earlier comment, if a OLB is there that gives better value than a CB I would snatch one.

Again, with OT I said nothing about where in the draft. I just said it was a need. I have not decided on position yet.

As for S, that is the type of pick you make like Peterson and Percy. If an upgrade is there, you take it. Mays IMO is an upgrade. Might not be a huge need but one area that is always not up to par is the secondary. If an upgrade is there, you take it. Our staff has proved that already.
    Agree with both statements.

You can keep rambling about DT. Fact is, we have solid starters, solid backups, and solid young guys. They did enough to take him away from Buffalo. Obviously they have plans for him. There is no need to look for Kennedys replacement right now. Again, we have other more important needs.
    You dodged the question, in fact you dodged two of them.

Lets try another tact.

Why did they draft Guion? Answer, backup/eventual replacement for K-will.

Why do you think they should keep waiting to address Phat Pats position? Answer, you think Evans is the answer.

Comeon my friend. No way in hell Phat Pats long term replacement is on the roster. JK will provide some relief, but as with K-will, he is long in the tooth and isn't gonna be around long.

My guess, the staff is thinking along that lines or else they wouldn't have brought Troup in for a visit.

Hang in there my friend. In the end its still all speculation and nothing more than a discussion. No reason to get in a tizzy over it.

LOL. We will see. I can't wait to come back to this thread.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Nobody saw us taking Kevin William where we did either, and that has worked out just fine.

Best part about this? What we're even talking about this offseason! Backups, future starters, depth, improving positions that don't see much work...NOT Needs!! :cheer: :P :laugh:

For years, I've been watching the Patriots draft/offseason/business strategy and thinking, every year, "The Rich Get Richer." This year, I feel like its our turn.

Maybe, the spot is that backup RB...? A really fast guy who can catch like Spiller or Best could add another dangerous dynamic to our offense. Maybe a more all purpose guy could even give us insurance vs. continued fumblitis down the road.

Could be, both of our new OL starters from last year are better next year. But we need depth and might even pull an upgrade off there if we go early, otherwise, shouldn't be a problem getting depth/developmental guys there late.

The CB/S situation is a lil more up in the air (pun intended! haha!) Winfield should be healthier next season, but he does seem to have slowed down a bit. Griff's knee may take some time. Sapp was good last year, but what if both our vets missed time!? At S we have 2 young guns and a vet who seems a bit overpriced ATM, so really, could see a move there too, but pass coverage has been a weakness for years, so CB seems like the biggest need right now.

OLB is interesting, but do we really want to just let Leber walk? He's done a good job with the headset in EJ's absence and seems to be in on a lot of plays every year.

We can definitely afford a pick on FB, we're past the point of drafting a bunch of late round WR/KR/PR guys who likely won't make the team anymore anyway. Gambling one pick on a FB/TE type guy to unseed Tahi or Mills or maybe Dugan sounds like a good bet to me. Improving Tahi's 2.2 rushing and 4.1 recieving yard averages would be pretty nice if that guy can block too.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

mountainviking wrote:
    Nobody saw us taking Kevin William where we did either, and that has worked out just fine.

Best part about this? What we're even talking about this offseason! Backups, future starters, depth, improving positions that don't see much work...NOT Needs!! :cheer: :P :laugh:

For years, I've been watching the Patriots draft/offseason/business strategy and thinking, every year, "The Rich Get Richer." This year, I feel like its our turn.

Maybe, the spot is that backup RB...? A really fast guy who can catch like Spiller or Best could add another dangerous dynamic to our offense. Maybe a more all purpose guy could even give us insurance vs. continued fumblitis down the road.

Could be, both of our new OL starters from last year are better next year. But we need depth and might even pull an upgrade off there if we go early, otherwise, shouldn't be a problem getting depth/developmental guys there late.

The CB/S situation is a lil more up in the air (pun intended! haha!) Winfield should be healthier next season, but he does seem to have slowed down a bit. Griff's knee may take some time. Sapp was good last year, but what if both our vets missed time!? At S we have 2 young guns and a vet who seems a bit overpriced ATM, so really, could see a move there too, but pass coverage has been a weakness for years, so CB seems like the biggest need right now.

OLB is interesting, but do we really want to just let Leber walk? He's done a good job with the headset in EJ's absence and seems to be in on a lot of plays every year.

We can definitely afford a pick on FB, we're past the point of drafting a bunch of late round WR/KR/PR guys who likely won't make the team anymore anyway. Gambling one pick on a FB/TE type guy to unseed Tahi or Mills or maybe Dugan sounds like a good bet to me. Improving Tahi's 2.2 rushing and 4.1 recieving yard averages would be pretty nice if that guy can block too.
    Wait a minute, wait a minute. Are you saying we should use our FB as a offensive weapon? :huh:

LOL, just kidding my friend. Great post.

In fact, this year is the hardest year yet when it comes to figuring out what ole Ricky boy is gonna do.

What I find interesting when I look back on his draft record with the Vikes is that he likes to make a splash, either in FA with his picks or in the draft by moving around in the later rounds.

What he doesn't seem to do (ala Foley) is to reach for players. He will either wait and hope he is there were he thinks the cat should go (i.e. Loadholt) or he will move up in that round and get him (i.e Brinkley) if he thinks another team is targeting him in that round.

For me, that is what makes this whole process so damn entertaining. Trying to guess what the hell not only Ricky boy, but all the GMs are gonna do.

marstc09 wrote:
    LOL. We will see. I can't wait to come back to this thread.
    LOL, I'm sure you can't.

On a side note, you still dodged the question(s). At least I hang my ass out so that people can go back to threads and poke me for guessing wrong.......... :P

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast