Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Json is offline GM

Re: 'Triangle' to handle draft

I have faith in the TOA.

Now lets trade that 1st round pick for SCHAUB!!!!!!

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

"Caine" wrote:
    This is where I miss Tice.

With Tice, I always knew we were going to draft quality players. I knew that most of them would pan out and make the team, and even if we were a couple of seconds late in getting our cards in - :wink: - we'd wind up getting some really good players.

The new TOA is completely new to this. There's no telling what they're after, or how good they'll be at it. Will they pick a Sanders, or a Mandrich?

I also worry about Zygi. He's shown that he wants to be involved...perhaps too much so. Is he going to be in the room on draft day? I can't imagine him NOT being there? Is he going to offer his 2 cents? Again, I can't imagine him not doing so. But, being rich doesn't make you a football guru.

So, I worry a bit about this draft...for the first time in years. We've historically drafted well...but that was with Tice, Studwell, and Brzezinski making the calls. With Tice gone and Studwell not mentioned (I would ASSUME he'd be there...it'd be silly for him NOT to be), we're left with new people making the calls.

So, on April 29th, I will be a bit nervous...and that nervousness will last until...well...until we actually SEE the players play.

Caine
    ~ I think they will do a good job. Look at the FA's we got this offseason. They know what they are doing. I have faith in Rob Brzezinski. He's a smart guy who can get a deal done

shawn9876uss is offline Coordinator

I have full confidence in the TOA, they did phenominal in the FA, they will do great in the draft, I hope we get SIMS

Thanks PurpleMafia

ZDoy379 is offline Starter

i dont mind matt schaub but not for our first rounder

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Slade" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:

With Tice, I always knew we were going to draft quality players. I knew that most of them would pan out and make the team, and even if we were a couple of seconds late in getting our cards in - :wink: - we'd wind up getting some really good players.

The new TOA is completely new to this. There's no telling what they're after, or how good they'll be at it. Will they pick a Sanders, or a Mandrich?

I also worry about Zygi. He's shown that he wants to be involved...perhaps too much so. Is he going to be in the room on draft day? I can't imagine him NOT being there? Is he going to offer his 2 cents? Again, I can't imagine him not doing so. But, being rich doesn't make you a football guru.

So, I worry a bit about this draft...for the first time in years. We've historically drafted well...but that was with Tice, Studwell, and Brzezinski making the calls. With Tice gone and Studwell not mentioned (I would ASSUME he'd be there...it'd be silly for him NOT to be), we're left with new people making the calls.

So, on April 29th, I will be a bit nervous...and that nervousness will last until...well...until we actually SEE the players play.

Caine
    ~ I think they will do a good job. Look at the FA's we got this offseason. They know what they are doing. I have faith in Rob Brzezinski. He's a smart guy who can get a deal done
    Aside from Hutchinson, which of the FA acquisitions lit the news wires on fire?

None of them.

Not that that is always a bad thing...the right guy in the right system can work miracles - ask Jim McMahon, ask Trent Dilfer - two unspectaqcular QB's who won SB's by being in the right system.

That said, we have yet to see how our acquisitions will pan out for us. We all HOPE they will flourish...but no one really knows...yet.

Same with our draftees, we won't really know until after we see them play.

Aside from Brzezinski, none of the guys calling the shots have any track record with us. We don't KNOW what they'll do, we're all simply crossing our fingers and praying that they do it right.

So, I worry. I worry that Zygi will try and alter too much, try and put HIS stamp on the team too deeply, and wind up screwing us up with all the right intentions. What we knew and were comfortable with - to a greater or lesser extent - is gone. We have yet to see the new regime in action.

So, I wait and see. I don't get too hyped, and I don't get too down. I'm in a holding pattern until I see what it is - exactly - that the new ToA has in store for us. We all hyped Red when he took over...look how well THAT turned out. I'm not making that mistake again.

Caine

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

If Studwell isn't there & it's left up to just Childress, Foley & Rob, I don't want to see the "Triangle of Power" suddenly becoming the "Bermuda Triangle".

Rob is a money man & I don't know what to expect from Foley. That leads to Childress making the bulk of the decisions.

It has always bothered me that Childress' staff are made up of his "friends". Was he doing his friends a favor or is he really adding talent at those positions?

We won't know until the season starts. There is a big question mark in my mind on Derrick Bevell being our new offensive coordinator.

I also will have to take a "wait & see" attitude as to who they sign & what they can do on the field.

Studwell & Tice I could rely on to do a good job throughout the draft, not just the 1st two rounds.

After bringing in McMahon & some of the early additions (Goodspeed, Jones, Kight, Redmond, Whittle, etc.) I have my suspicions.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Posted on Thu, Apr. 27, 2006

[size=18px]Vikings' trio handling decisions[/size]

2006 DRAFT:Brad Childress, Rob Brzezinski and Fran Foley are in charge of draft.

BY DAVE CAMPBELL
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf has established a triangular authority structure for his new franchise, trusting a trio of voices underneath him to collectively decide the direction of the team.

After a productive first foray through free agency, the three-headed hierarchy faces the next true test of its health this weekend with the NFL draft.

But vice president of player personnel Fran Foley downplayed the significance of the pressurized nature of the two-day draft, as he, coach Brad Childress and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski head their respective departments during their first draft together.

"I think we've been working every day on a number of different issues, different fronts," Foley said at a predraft news conference Wednesday.

College scouting director Scott Studwell's group has helped compile more than 2,000 reports on 800 prospects, with Foley, Childress and the rest of the coaching staff chipping in with their thoughts. The medical staff has completed its evaluations, and background checks have been done to make sure the Vikings are considering players without character questions -- one area Wilf and Childress have stressed since they began working here.

Childress and Foley were hired in January, but they both said there has been ample time for the coaching staff to make clear to the personnel department the type of players who best fit their schemes. With some teams, the coach is also the general manager -- creating no need for that type of communication.

"I think that was the main point we addressed when we came together," Foley said. "I'm talking more myself with Brad, than with Scott. One of the first orders of business we had was to conduct extensive meetings on what exactly it was the coaches wanted for each position. If they had a size, weight or speed requirement for a player, what is it that it would be for every position. And then we communicated that early in February to the scouts so they could do a better job of preparing for this draft."

The coaches described specific attributes, based on ideal height, weight, speed and size, that suit their system. For example, defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin needs fast linebackers to play the Tampa-2 zone pass coverage the Vikings plan to use a lot.

"We went through that, hammered it out, put it down on paper, talked about it, talked about it with Fran, Scott, the scouts, the coaches -- and so the more you talk about it, the more you see that guy," Childress said. "In our business, a picture paints 1,000 words. You see that guy on tape: 'Hey, here's what I'm talking about. This guy right here, see what he's doing right here? That's what we're looking for, the kind of guy that can do that.' "

Studwell and Childress each offered the predictable "five good football players" response to questions about what would make the first day of the draft successful. Minnesota has five of the first 95 selections, including two picks each in the second and third rounds.

• The Vikings released suspended running back Onterrio Smith on Wednesday. A reason for Smith's release was not provided in a statement from the team.

Vikings' trio handling decisions

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

"singersp" wrote:
    If Studwell isn't there & it's left up to just Childress, Foley & Rob, I don't want to see the "Triangle of Power" suddenly becoming the "Bermuda Triangle".

Rob is a money man & I don't know what to expect from Foley. That leads to Childress making the bulk of the decisions.

It has always bothered me that Childress' staff are made up of his "friends". Was he doing his friends a favor or is he really adding talent at those positions?

We won't know until the season starts. There is a big question mark in my mind on Derrick Bevell being our new offensive coordinator.

I also will have to take a "wait & see" attitude as to who they sign & what they can do on the field.

Studwell & Tice I could rely on to do a good job throughout the draft, not just the 1st two rounds.

After bringing in McMahon & some of the early additions (Goodspeed, Jones, Kight, Redmond, Whittle, etc.) I have my suspicions.
    All special teams guys. Even Whittle he is a long snapper. There is no glory in the positions, but they are needed too.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"Caine" wrote:
    "Slade" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:

Caine
    Aside from Hutchinson, which of the FA acquisitions lit the news wires on fire?

None of them.

Not that that is always a bad thing...the right guy in the right system can work miracles - ask Jim McMahon, ask Trent Dilfer - two unspectaqcular QB's who won SB's by being in the right system.

That said, we have yet to see how our acquisitions will pan out for us. We all HOPE they will flourish...but no one really knows...yet.

Same with our draftees, we won't really know until after we see them play.

Aside from Brzezinski, none of the guys calling the shots have any track record with us. We don't KNOW what they'll do, we're all simply crossing our fingers and praying that they do it right.

So, I worry. I worry that Zygi will try and alter too much, try and put HIS stamp on the team too deeply, and wind up screwing us up with all the right intentions. What we knew and were comfortable with - to a greater or lesser extent - is gone. We have yet to see the new regime in action.

So, I wait and see. I don't get too hyped, and I don't get too down. I'm in a holding pattern until I see what it is - exactly - that the new ToA has in store for us. We all hyped Red when he took over...look how well THAT turned out. I'm not making that mistake again.

Caine
    So you say Hutch was the only blockbuster deal. Does that mean the other signings were not great.

I beg your pardon.

Look at how many people on this board screamed about getting Krob back. He is back.

We got one of the top rated kickers in FA. Which would upgrade that position which has been shaky on our team.

And for how long have we not had a quality FB. We do that now, and that will seriously help the running game.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Del Rio Guest

He lost me when he said this is why I miss Tice.

I don't think many of the people he drafted have done very much one way or the other.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast