Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

'Triangle' to handle draft

Posted on Tue, Apr. 18, 2006

[size=18px]'Triangle' to handle draft[/size]

Wilf sees no reason for move-up trades

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf expects his "triangle of authority" to collectively make draft-day decisions.

If necessary, though, Wilf said Fran Foley, the vice president of player personnel, will have the final say.

"In case, for whatever reason, we don't reach a consensus, it should always be left up to the director of player personnel," Wilf said Monday. "We would hope that's not the case. But definitely he would have the authority."

Wilf alluded to the 2003 NFL Draft, when the Vikings' time expired on their seventh pick and they were passed by two other clubs.

"We had some craziness a couple years ago," he said. "But we want to avoid that. I don't foresee having that problem. But if we do, then Fran would make that call."

With a league-high five picks in the top 95 selections, Wilf said he doesn't envision any trades to move up. "Unless something extraordinary occurs, but I don't see that," said Wilf, who will be in the draft room.

Wilf's triangle of authority includes Foley, head coach Brad Childress and Rob Brzezinski, vice president of football operations.

This offseason, the Vikings aggressively spent money in free agency on players such as all-pro guard Steve Hutchinson and linebacker Ben Leber.

"We will build on the draft," Wilf said, "and we will fill in with free agency."

Young visits: Texas quarterback Vince Young spent much of Monday at Winter Park, interviewing with Childress and other key staff members and undergoing a physical.

The Vikings and Young's agent, Major Adams, confirmed the visit, which started at 10 a.m. and ended around 5 p.m.

Adams said he didn't expect Young to be available at the No. 17 pick.

"But people trade up and do all kinds of stuff," he said. "And as far as furthering your career, you never know what's going to happen."

Adams accompanied Young on the visit, and they are scheduled to visit with the Oakland Raiders on Wednesday and the New York Jets on Thursday. They will fly to Cleveland on Friday.

Greenway's day: Chad Greenway of Iowa, one of the top linebacker prospects, visited the Vikings last week, agent Marvin Demoff said.

The Vikings confirmed Monday that Greenway visited last week, as did Florida State cornerback Antonio Cromartie.

More lobbying: In an effort to garner more support and visit different parts of the state, Wilf spent Monday afternoon in Chisholm, Minn. Invited by Senator David Tomassoni (D-Chisholm), Wilf talked to Iron Range leaders at a luncheon.

"I met a lot of people who are in support of the stadium and realize how important it is for the quality of life," Wilf said. "We just want to make sure everyone understands the message that all three stadiums (Vikings, Twins, University of Minnesota) get done now."

Since becoming Vikings owner, Wilf has visited communities throughout the state, including Duluth, St. Cloud, Rochester and Mankato.

Wilf said he remains "optimistic" that the Vikings stadium will be included in the latest stadium talks.

"I think it's natural to get all three done at once," he said.

Wilf will meet Wednesday with the North Metro Mayors Association and on Thursday with the Boy Scouts. On Friday, he will meet with University of Minnesota officials, including President Robert Bruininks.

Briefly: Vikings cornerback Ronyell Whitaker continued his strong play for the Rhein Fire of NFL Europe, returning an interception 30 yards for a touchdown Saturday. Receiver Aaron Hosack had seven catches for 102 yards and one touchdown.

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

'Triangle' to handle draft

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: 'Triangle' to handle draft

I wonder if Studwell will get any say whatsoever in the draft decisions.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

I would hope that he'd get the chance to provide some kind of meaningful input.

I mean, we all know that both Childress and Foley probably have extensive knowledge of the players they like and such, but what the heck does Brezinski know? No offense to Brez. of course, cuz I love the guy and I'm glad he's here, but I don't think he is one of those "football guys" that should have a huge role in making the selections needed build our team for the future.

I would sincerely hope that either Childress or Foley has Studwell whispering in their ears in the "war room" on Apr 29-30.

Of course, then there are these people who insist in saying (and yes, I encounter these people): "Studwell sucks and should be fired because we didn't get so-and-so instead of what's-his-name, and so-and-so that we did get is a bust because he didn't produce enough in his first two years".

I for one, think he has done a pretty darn good job of getting good talent in here, I don't think we've had the good coaching our young players needed.
    Proud member of PP.O since April 5th, 2003!

ViKing24 is offline Asst. Coach

One good thing about tice was that he was always good at finding the right draft picks. Brian Mckinnie, Kevin Williams, Kenechi Udeze, Troy Williamson, Erasmus James. Also EJ Henderson, Nate Burleson, Onterrio Smith, Ciatrick Fason. Well you get the point I hope Childress will do good this year picking and his other staff.

Formerly Viking24

"VikesFan4Life" wrote:
    I would hope that he'd get the chance to provide some kind of meaningful input.

I mean, we all know that both Childress and Foley probably have extensive knowledge of the players they like and such, but what the heck does Brezinski know? No offense to Brez. of course, cuz I love the guy and I'm glad he's here, but I don't think he is one of those "football guys" that should have a huge role in making the selections needed build our team for the future.

I would sincerely hope that either Childress or Foley has Studwell whispering in their ears in the "war room" on Apr 29-30.

Of course, then there are these people who insist in saying (and yes, I encounter these people): "Studwell sucks and should be fired because we didn't get so-and-so instead of what's-his-name, and so-and-so that we did get is a bust because he didn't produce enough in his first two years".

I for one, think he has done a pretty darn good job of getting good talent in here, I don't think we've had the good coaching our young players needed.
    Brezinski probably has a say based on who each player has as an agent since he has to deal with those a-holes. If they have the Poston boys, no way! If they have Tom Condon, go for it. :???:

Yeah I suppose it helps to have a guy who can deal with the agents and such. As long as his contribution towards draft picks remains in the realm of contracts and salary I don't have a problem with him in there.
    Proud member of PP.O since April 5th, 2003!

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

This is where I miss Tice.

With Tice, I always knew we were going to draft quality players. I knew that most of them would pan out and make the team, and even if we were a couple of seconds late in getting our cards in - :wink: - we'd wind up getting some really good players.

The new TOA is completely new to this. There's no telling what they're after, or how good they'll be at it. Will they pick a Sanders, or a Mandrich?

I also worry about Zygi. He's shown that he wants to be involved...perhaps too much so. Is he going to be in the room on draft day? I can't imagine him NOT being there? Is he going to offer his 2 cents? Again, I can't imagine him not doing so. But, being rich doesn't make you a football guru.

So, I worry a bit about this draft...for the first time in years. We've historically drafted well...but that was with Tice, Studwell, and Brzezinski making the calls. With Tice gone and Studwell not mentioned (I would ASSUME he'd be there...it'd be silly for him NOT to be), we're left with new people making the calls.

So, on April 29th, I will be a bit nervous...and that nervousness will last until...well...until we actually SEE the players play.

Caine

FTFXR is offline Waterboy

I'm not too worried about the TOA controlling the draft. THey know what type of players they want and have gone after that type of player in free agency and I think they will continue to to do the same in the draft. I think Chester Taylor will be awsome as a starter in this offense. I think they will draft for value and draft well.

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

Even with the new people here it would probably still be Studwell that went to check them out and gather most of the information that he gave to the Triangle which they would be making their decisions based off his work.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Good to hear Whitaker, and Hosack are doing well in NFL Europe.. Now as far as the draft goes. We need to get a LB, and QB in the draft. If we can get Cutler, and or Simms with the #17 pick, I would love it. I doubt either will still be there at 17, but wishful thinking.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast