Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

Trent Dilfer Out in SF

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/
    With quarterback Alex Smith’s contract option picked up, potential free agent Shaun Hill re-signed, and Mike Martz student J.T. O’Sullivan in the fold, there was no room for veteran Trent Dilfer.

And so he was cut.
    So I think he is better than Brooks and signing him might not be the worst move we've ever made.
    I would certainly feel better having him come in the game if TJack gets hurt.
    Signing him for a couple years would allow us to draft a project QB like Kevin O'Connell in a later round to be TJacks eventual backup or, Heaven forbid, replacement.
    Also wouldn't mind Brooks being the 3rd stringer but keeping the project on the roster so he can't be stolen like Thigpen.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Trent Dilfer Out in SF

Hmm I look at it two way. They pick him up with the idea that he coulld be the mentor for a QB that they take a chance on in round 3-4 like an Ainge, or Booty. Basically not convinced that TJ is the Answer.
    so he would be more of a short term solution and emergency in case TJack does fail and a rookie needs a year to develop. OR scenario 2 is the Vikes see TJack as a Dilfer type QB. Dilfer has never been great, but has done what it takes to hang around in the NFL and win games, What is his secret? Well maybe that is what they hope he can shed on to TJ. Wouldn't be the worst move, as long as they are thinking short term.

KrackerJack is offline Hall of Famer

Based on my opinion that TJack will do well next year, I think Dilfer would be an excellent backup, if TJack were to get knocked out for a couple games next year, Dilfer has never been that good, but he has risen to the occasion when needed, IMO he would make a fine backup and filler if TJack gets hurt. Now if TJack does turn out to not be 'the guy' like I expect him to be, Dilfer wouldn't be that bad of a replacement for a year or so while we work on getting a new guy, maybe an late round QB in this years draft.
    He wouldn't stick around long since he's gettin up there in the years, but i think he'd make a fine backup and be able to play the part if TJack got knocked out for a few games.
    I think TJack will prove to be our QB, however, I
    think we need a solid backup because of how injury prone TJack was...I don't think he will get injured nearly as much next year, but there is no evidence of that, so Dilfer as our backup quarterback would be some good security if TJack gets knocked out for a game or two.

tgorsegner is offline Coordinator

Honestly, ever since I saw a rumor about this I hoped it would happen and the Vikes would pick him up. Dilfer is definitely the best fit with what the Vikings need that is/was available this year. He has experience, He performs well when called upon, he is a veteran, he hangs around, and he is better Brooks (and arguably the starter) on the team now. I have been a big Brooks fan all along, but I would say Dilfer is the best available choice. much better than Anderson or McNabb would have been IMHO.

VikesFan787, Thanks for the awesome sig!

I can't believe that people would want this guy.

His claim to fame was not
    being terrible during his prime on teams with great defenses.
    His career passer rating is 70.2.
    That's slightly worse than Tarvaris last year (70.8 ).

Last year it was 55.1 in seven games, including six starts.
    The 49ers were 1-6 in those games, and 4-5 the rest of the season.
    The last time he managed to throw more TDs than INTs was back in 2001, when he threw 7 TDs and 4 INTs in six games for the Seahawks.

The only thing I can think is that people remember him winning when he was with the Bucs and they played us twice/year, and then with the Ravens in the Super Bowl.
    Those days are long gone.
    This guy should retire.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

"Overlord" wrote:
    I can't believe that people would want this guy.

His claim to fame was not
    being terrible during his prime on teams with great defenses.
    His career passer rating is 70.2.
    That's slightly worse than Tarvaris last year (70.8 ).

Last year it was 55.1 in seven games, including six starts.
    The 49ers were 1-6 in those games, and 4-5 the rest of the season.
    The last time he managed to throw more TDs than INTs was back in 2001, when he threw 7 TDs and 4 INTs in six games for the Seahawks.

The only thing I can think is that people remember him winning when he was with the Bucs and they played us twice/year, and then with the Ravens in the Super Bowl.
    Those days are long gone.
    This guy should retire.
    So basically you're saying that he has a lot of experience...at sucking.

I don't think any of us want him to come in and start, but he would be a better option than Brooks IMO considering Brooks effed up every time he had the chance to perform ala Detroit and GB games.
    I think that BB is a third stringer on every team in the NFL except for ours, so we need to find a backup and Dilfer appears to be the best option at the moment.
    We could go for Gray who might be decent, but why did the Jags let him go?
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

Let's see...Dilfer, Holcomb...Dilfer, Holcomb...Holcombs gone so....Dilfer, BB....Dilfer, BB? BB, Some as yet to be named back-up???? SB winning old guy or some guy that the team won't trade for.....?hmmmmm.... Why not? Upgrade over Holcomb, even though I think Dilhole is the luckiest, most fortuitous a-hole on the planet. He is Ryan Leaf with a guardian angel. ;D f*ck, Why not? I have to say, The team will get a good #2 or 3. I am thinking positive about the qb spot. All any of 'em has to do is not turn it over. It'll work out
    Tuco the world.....

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

lmao before i give my opinion i would like to say something
    csn anyone say CHARLES GORDON lighting him up in the SF game and making him cry?

ok, i got that out of the way
    if he can pass a physical id liek to see him sign with us, then fight it out with rookie/BB for a roster spot

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

"dcboardr41" wrote:
    lmao before i give my opinion i would like to say something
    csn anyone say CHARLES GORDON lighting him up in the SF game and making him cry?

ok, i got that out of the way
    if he can pass a physical id liek to see him sign with us, then fight it out with rookie/BB for a roster spot
    I was looking at the sanfran message board when that happened. All I saw before that was " I hope they break his leg" then when he does get hurt, "Oh no!, hope he's okay.......maybe this is a good thing..." Man, that was messed up. Fans of your team, on your board, thinking your injury "might not be a bad thing.." ;D
    Tuco the world.....

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

trent dilfer "out" in san francisco? arent most people that live in san francisco "out"?
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast