bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    That was a waste of time. Far from a hot mess IMO.
    I know, especially on the defensive side of the ball what with all our starters coming back healthy and not getting suspended or anything like that. :blink:
    Marty - you could be getting a blow job from a toothless Victoria's secret model and you'd still complain that her tongue was too scratchy.

=Z=
    You are probably correct. Still all in all the following should give even the most optimistic of fans a slight bit of concern:

a. EJ - Jasper gives me hope, but he will struggle at times as teams will look to expose his weaknesses, and because of his limited time in the league, there will be something that can/will be exposed.

b. DT - Even before the suspension, the rotation was suspect. Now you take out our two best DLmen and try to insert backups as your primary starters facing 3 good running teams out of 4 with no coherent plan in place for anyone to take up those extra reps.

c. Griff and Whinny. Griff will not be a viable asset this year even though players seem to get on the field quicker, they still don't look 100% until the following year (2 years), Whinny, even if he can stay healthy was having issues last year (and part of the year before).

Even though I like what they've done to address the CB issue and like what I've seen out of Jasper, I am not gonna sit here and sing Kumbayay and say all is well on that side of the ball.
    You are like the only one who thinks DT is a problem. The rotation was NEVER suspect last year.
    Did you watch the Ravens meltdown?

And what is wrong with not "Following the Crowd" when it comes to ideas.

If everyone thought the same way the chuckleheads on ESPN think, this place sure would be boring.
    Was the DT rotation responsible for poor run defense against BAL?
    Not sure if I would specifically put it all on the DT's but I do believe the DL as a whole wore down in a few games.

I guess, though, if I was forced to point a finger, I would look at RDE. JA sure was out of position on a few of those runs.

Not sure if it was because he was "Freelancing" and focusing just on rushing the passer or if the D-coord was making dumb calls.
    It was the linebackers gap for the run. He got blocked.
    Happened quite a few times last year.

You're the one who talked about the RDE and LDE having different jobs.
    When JA is in an up the field pass rush, the linebacker has the run, in that gap.
    ...and with JAs propensity for the wide rush it makes that play more successful on average for the offense...ergo, the average run numbers in his area of responsibility.
    Those plays are only successful when the LB and secondary aren't doing their jobs properly. The DL is responsible for pressure and contain, not gap coverage.
    The DL is not responsible for Gap Coverage?

What does a 1 gap, 3 technique mean to you?
    thats Marrdro's favourite move in the bedroom.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re:With Training Camp Around the Corner, Vikings a Ho

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    What does a 1 gap, 3 technique mean to you?
    thats Marrdro's favourite move in the bedroom.
    DOWN GOES FRAZIER!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Re:With Training Camp Around the Corner, Vikings a Ho

Marrdro wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    That was a waste of time. Far from a hot mess IMO.
    I know, especially on the defensive side of the ball what with all our starters coming back healthy and not getting suspended or anything like that. :blink:
    Marty - you could be getting a blow job from a toothless Victoria's secret model and you'd still complain that her tongue was too scratchy.

=Z=
    You are probably correct. Still all in all the following should give even the most optimistic of fans a slight bit of concern:

a. EJ - Jasper gives me hope, but he will struggle at times as teams will look to expose his weaknesses, and because of his limited time in the league, there will be something that can/will be exposed.

b. DT - Even before the suspension, the rotation was suspect. Now you take out our two best DLmen and try to insert backups as your primary starters facing 3 good running teams out of 4 with no coherent plan in place for anyone to take up those extra reps.

c. Griff and Whinny. Griff will not be a viable asset this year even though players seem to get on the field quicker, they still don't look 100% until the following year (2 years), Whinny, even if he can stay healthy was having issues last year (and part of the year before).

Even though I like what they've done to address the CB issue and like what I've seen out of Jasper, I am not gonna sit here and sing Kumbayay and say all is well on that side of the ball.
    You are like the only one who thinks DT is a problem. The rotation was NEVER suspect last year.
    Did you watch the Ravens meltdown?

And what is wrong with not "Following the Crowd" when it comes to ideas.

If everyone thought the same way the chuckleheads on ESPN think, this place sure would be boring.
    Was the DT rotation responsible for poor run defense against BAL?
    Not sure if I would specifically put it all on the DT's but I do believe the DL as a whole wore down in a few games.

I guess, though, if I was forced to point a finger, I would look at RDE. JA sure was out of position on a few of those runs.

Not sure if it was because he was "Freelancing" and focusing just on rushing the passer or if the D-coord was making dumb calls.
    It's a long off season when we start nit-picking the vikings rush D. I know they slipped to number 2 in the NFL, after 3 straight years of being number 1, it is still the strength of our team.
    We did struggle against the Ravens, but they had the best running game we saw all season(5th in the nfl). And if I remember correctly we still won that game.
    JA is a complete beast in both the run and the pass game. He's not going to make every tackle but, he's very very good at containing the edge and chasing backs to the sideline.

In the end the rush D is still the bread and butter of this team. Compared to our pass defense and rush offense there is very little room for improvement.
    I'm not discounting anything they've done in the past. What I'm talking about is the "Slipping" that you mentioned.

Was it a small "Slip" last year? Yes. The issue for me is will they slip again this year and if they do, how big of a slip will it be.
    I don't think they will slip at all this year. They have added players and the players they have are all more experienced. Pat Williams is the only one that is past his prime but the cumulative improvement of the rest of the rotation guys should more than make up for any "slippage" pat may suffer.

Again, I'm much more concerned about the run offense than the run defense.
    The run defense was 1st in 07, 1st in 08, 2nd in 09.
    The run offense was 1st in 07, 5th in 08, 13th in 09.

Not saying ignore the D-line but prioritise it accordingly.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234