Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Dibbzz is offline Starter

Re: Trading out of the first round?

I don't know why, but I'm feeling a great disturbance in the force concerning Vontae Davis. I do think that CB is a position that we've been needing to address for quite some time, and with the abundance of talent at that position in this years draft we better pull the trigger and nab at least one of them. I'm not Mel Kiper but a guy that I've been looking at whose stock has dropped is Victor "Macho" Harris. He had 6 picks last season, two of them going for TD's. He might not have Davis' size but he definitely has better playmaking ability, which would work well for our cover 2 (and maybe even return some kicks on special teams). Only problem is he would probably go in the second round before we pick again (Walterfootball.com says NE is going to draft him), but he's not quite a first round talent. This could be a scenario where trading down could help if we, say, switched picks in the first round with somebody and then move up in the second round. This is unlikely, but if we're going to draft a WR round one Darrius-Heyward Bey would still be around at pick 28,29,30 if that was what we wanted to do. I dunno, just a thought.

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

"Dibbzz" wrote:
    I don't know why, but I'm feeling a great disturbance in the force concerning Vontae Davis. I do think that CB is a position that we've been needing to address for quite some time, and with the abundance of talent at that position in this years draft we better pull the trigger and nab at least one of them.
    Didn't we drafted 2 CB's in the last 3 years. Where Griffin' is starting and is playing better and better?
    Yes Winfield is aging but is coming off an Pro bowl year. McCauley is there.. We still have Gordon coming off an injury, i'd like to see how he is doing. Just say no to Sapp
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

Yfz01 is offline Asst. Coach

I love the instincts DJ Moore shows.
    I'm hoping we draft him but I wouldn't be suprised if we drafted Alphonso Smith instead.

vikesfan713 is offline Rookie

"kspurplepride" wrote:
    Why not take Freeman in the first round out of KState as a legit long term option at QB, and bring in Garcia or Leftwich for the short term?
    i think we could trade out of first round and get freeman at the top of the 2nd.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Some real good discussions in this thread my friends.

For me, I don't see us trading down, but rather using this pick to get a guy who will ultimately replace a key player for us in a year or two.
    Couple of players to think about......

a.
    Phat Pat.
    He is getting a bit long in the tooth even though he seems to be there on alot of plays.
    My bigger concern isn't so much that he will need to be replaced in a year or two but that he will be gone for 4 games this year.

Guion seems to be the guy that most will think is the one to replace him, however, he seems to not fit the mold of a middle plugger like Pat.

My guess is the first round pick could be used on a guy like Raji or Peria if one of them slips.

A second option would be at S if there is a cat that grades out.
    Lets not forget that we will have a roster position open as STJ gets promoted to the spot Sharp left.
    Additionally, M-will has shown that he is a bit injury prone.

Problem for me is that the more I see on this position though, none of the S's will wash out/grade out as first round talents.
    If there is and he is available then this could be an option as well.

My third option would be either MLB or OL (C/T).

Seems that of the 5 LB's that are grading out high, the cat we could/should be looking at (Lauranitis (sp)) might not be all that he is touted to be.
    Then there is Mauluga (sp).
    Seems he might get snatched up by a team like the PUKERS who are looking to do massive shifts as they shift schemes.

C.
    Alot of the sites I have visited have one of the C'rs as well as one of the T's falling to us, mostly because the other positions I listed above are taken higher.

Long story short, it will be very interesting to see who falls to us and which way Speilman goes based on the posisitions that seem to be of interest.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:

For me, I don't see us trading down, but rather using this pick to get a guy who will ultimately replace a key player for us in a year or two.

a.
    Phat Pat.
    He is getting a bit long in the tooth even though he seems to be there on alot of plays.
    My bigger concern isn't so much that he will need to be replaced in a year or two but that he will be gone for 4 games this year.

Guion seems to be the guy that most will think is the one to replace him, however, he seems to not fit the mold of a middle plugger like Pat.

My guess is the first round pick could be used on a guy like Raji or Peria if one of them slips.

Lets not forget that we will have a roster position open as STJ gets promoted to the spot Sharp left.

Problem for me is that the more I see on this position though, none of the S's will wash out/grade out as first round talents.

Seems that of the 5 LB's that are grading out high, the cat we could/should be looking at (Lauranitis (sp)) might not be all that he is touted to be.
    Seems he might get snatched up by a team like the PUKERS who are looking to do massive shifts as they shift schemes.

C.
    Alot of the sites I have visited have one of the C'rs as well as one of the T's falling to us, mostly because the other positions I listed above are taken higher.

Long story short, it will be very interesting to see who falls to us and which way Speilman goes based on the posisitions that seem to be of interest.
    your forgetting corner as well.... but regardless, i think we take BPA... highly doubt we take a receiver, or a QB with the first pick... unless someone falls to us we don't expect... maybe a developmental like a Reising out of Kansas, or Daniels from Missouri, or Harrell out of texas tech... as a 3rd 4th round developmental prospect.. that is, if they are not sold booty can develop into a decent player.. I think TJ sticks around for awhile as a backup...

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

a.
    Phat Pat.

C.

your forgetting corner as well.... but regardless, i think we take BPA... highly doubt we take a receiver, or a QB with the first pick... unless someone falls to us we don't expect... maybe a developmental like a Reising out of Kansas, or Daniels from Missouri, or Harrell out of texas tech... as a 3rd 4th round developmental prospect.. that is, if they are not sold booty can develop into a decent player.. I think TJ sticks around for awhile as a backup...
    Naw, I'm not forgetting corner.
    As with LB, I think the ones who are worth having at 22 will be gone.
    Better value at that position in a later round.

Rationale behind that is we have two starters and some depth behind them.
    S, DT and LB, not so much.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

a.
    Phat Pat.

C.

Safety? i don't even see a 1st round grade on any safety... DT/LB maybe, but there are about 4 corners that could ALL go in the first round. where some may be there when we pick... versus, about 4 or 5 Lb's where one (mathews/Cushing USC) or two (Lauranitis?? - he's kind of fallen off a bit since last year) could be a reach at 22...

Jenkins
    DJ Moore
    Vonte Davis
    Alphonso Smith

so, yeah you did forget corner!!
    ;D
    there is just as much talent/risk at corner at 22 than any of those other positions you stated.. just depends on combine and how we grade out and who takes who...

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

a.
    Phat Pat.

C.

I can't wait until April. Me thinks a lot of crow will be eaten.
    ;D

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

a.
    Phat Pat.

C.

Safety? i don't even see a 1st round grade on any safety... DT/LB maybe, but there are about 4 corners that could ALL go in the first round. where some may be there when we pick... versus, about 4 or 5 Lb's where one (mathews/Cushing USC) or two (Lauranitis?? - he's kind of fallen off a bit since last year) could be a reach at 22...

Jenkins
    DJ Moore
    Vonte Davis
    Alphonso Smith

so, yeah you did forget corner!!
    ;D
    there is just as much talent/risk at corner at 22 than any of those other positions you stated.. just depends on combine and how we grade out and who takes who...
    Obviously you didn't read what I said about S.......

Or what I said about LB'rs (I was talking about MLB by the way).........

As to corner, I think this draft is loaded with them.
    Again, why use a first round pick on a cat when you could get almost the same cat a round or two later?

Long story short, could they take a CB?
    Sure, however, my guess is they won't but will choose to draft depth at one of the positions they are thin at if a cat is there they like......

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast