Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Trading out of the first round?

What do you all think about the idea of trading out of the first round, get another first round pick and move up and grab a guy like Colt McCoy in a year.

Many veterans are out there, Garcia, Collins, Warner.. we could easily snag one of them and wait another year for a QB.

It should be possible to sign a right tackle or get one in the second round, there are alot of talented offensive tackles in this years draft.

Eugene Monroe, Virginia
    Andre Smith, Alabama
    Michael Oher, Mississippi
    Jason Smith, Bayor
    Eben Britton, Arizona
    Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma..

Outside of Sanchez and Stafford the quarterback class this year is really weak and those are proberly going to go early, with Detroit napping of them at number one and Kansas City, The Jets, Seattle, Tampa and maybe San Fran also looking out for QB's.. it is hard to imagine that one of those will fall to number 22.

We have some mockdrafts with us picking up Josh Freeman of Kansas State i have to say that would be a complete buzzkill for me.

Take a look at next years quarterback classwe have Colt McCoy, Colt McCoy is a proven leader and a guy that i think could start from day one, if he had to. Sanchez only has 1 year of starting experience from college and Stafford still makes some mistakes that will make you wonder what he was thinking(trust me i watch all of Georgias games), the kid has talent but he also throws way to many interceptions.

Also coming out next year, likely will be Sam Bradford from Oklahoma, also a extremely talented kid.

However two years in a row without a first rounder would maybe be to much?

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Trading out of the first round?

"skum" wrote:
    What do you all think about the idea of trading out of the first round, get another first round pick and move up and grab a guy like Colt McCoy in a year.

Many veterans are out there, Garcia, Collins, Warner.. we could easily snag one of them and wait another year for a QB.

It should be possible to sign a right tackle or get one in the second round, there are alot of talented offensive tackles in this years draft.

Eugene Monroe, Virginia
    Andre Smith, Alabama
    Michael Oher, Mississippi
    Jason Smith, Bayor
    Eben Britton, Arizona
    Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma..

Outside of Sanchez and Stafford the quarterback class this year is really weak and those are proberly going to go early, with Detroit napping of them at number one and Kansas City, The Jets, Seattle, Tampa and maybe San Fran also looking out for QB's.. it is hard to imagine that one of those will fall to number 22.

We have some mockdrafts with us picking up Josh Freeman of Kansas State i have to say that would be a complete buzzkill for me.

Take a look at next years quarterback classwe have Colt McCoy, Colt McCoy is a proven leader and a guy that i think could start from day one, if he had to. Sanchez only has 1 year of starting experience from college and Stafford still makes some mistakes that will make you wonder what he was thinking(trust me i watch all of Georgias games), the kid has talent but he also throws way to many interceptions.

Also coming out next year, likely will be Sam Bradford from Oklahoma, also a extremely talented kid.

However two years in a row without a first rounder would maybe be to much?

Dan Marino and Matt Ryan threw too many interceptions the year before they came out of college too. I think Stafford's the real deal.

As far as offensive tackles go, I'd rather see us go for one in free agency, Gross preferably, but there a few available.

I'd love to have Monroe, but that's unrealistic.

I think we should go receiver in the first round, give whoever our future QB will be another weapon.

I'm always willing trade out of the first round, so long as the price is right and the draft class is deep.

oaklandzoo24 is offline Star Spokesman

I think the only time you really should look to trade a pick is to grab a proven NFL player like Jared Allen.
    Whose to say that McCoy will be a good NFL QB.
    I'd rather look to improve our team in as many aspects as possible, not just necessarily QB (but it needs to be addressed).
    I really want to pickup Garcia and keep developing T-Jack.

Garcia is simply amazing. The way he continues to succeed but has to learn a new system seemingly every year is remarkable.
    Not many players could ever do that.
    He seems to just get better each year as well and he is a true leader.
    Plus if TO hates him, then I like him.
    "There are 3 things that sell in America:
    Violence, sex, and drugs.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

[img width=450 height=55]http://img216.imageshac

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

Whenever this comes up it always has me bringing up these two questions for those asking it.

What player will be available at 22 that teams at the top of round two will want to move up to get?

If that player is so coveted by them why don't we draft him?
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

oaklandzoo24 is offline Star Spokesman

"FuadFan" wrote:
    Whenever this comes up it always has me bringing up these two questions for those asking it.

What player will be available at 22 that teams at the top of round two will want to move up to get?

+1, I think so many people on these forums get caught up and think a 1st round pick almost always a sure-fire all-pro.
    So few guys in the first round develop into pro-bowlers and yet since they are a 1st round pick they make a hell lot more money than they are worth.
    I actually prefer having later first round picks unless there is a "stud" player on the board just because you might be able to snag a player that drops without paying top 10 salary.
    NFL rookie pay system is ridiculous.
    "There are 3 things that sell in America:
    Violence, sex, and drugs.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

[img width=450 height=55]http://img216.imageshac

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

"FuadFan" wrote:

Could be that the certain player was at a position like linebacker or runningback where we are pretty set..

Knowshon Moreno or Chris Wells could very well go in the 20's and people would like to jump some teams behind who would like to select the same player..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

vikesfan713 is offline Rookie

two angles you have to look at it?? look how was avail with the pics we agve up for allen??
    1st round Gosder Chelidus.
    wow he had good season ..... not.
    Jamall Charles.
    Jamall who?DeJaun Morgan, S
    the only one i think has up side.
    would you want these 3 picks or allen?????
    so if you are willing to trade your first round pick why would you trade your first pick for one next year?? when you dont know what slot that pick will be.
    I would rather have Bradford all day over McCoy or Freeman this year.
    But why not trade for Cassel.
    I ma not huge fan but it makes more sense would you give up a 6th rank Ol lineman this year and a 3rd string rb this year for Cassel?????

vikesfan713 is offline Rookie

"vikesfan713" wrote:
    two angles you have to look at it?? look how was avail with the pics we agve up for allen??
    Jamall Charles.

so if you are willing to trade your first round pick why would you trade your first pick for one next year?? when you dont know what slot that pick will be.
    I ma not huge fan but it makes more sense would you give up a 6th rank Ol lineman this year and a 3rd string rb this year for Cassel?????
    other angle is yes trade out of first round and pick up next year and a second this year and take Percy harvin early in the 2nd round.
    and see where we are in the qb situation next draft>
    i think overall we got it right last year what player were we going to get with 17th pick last year?
    we all saw the difference Allen made why not do it again with Cassel or Gross or Asmounga.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"vikesfan713" wrote:
    "vikesfan713" wrote:
    Jamall Charles.

other angle is yes trade out of first round and pick up next year and a second this year and take Percy harvin early in the 2nd round.
    and see where we are in the qb situation next draft>
    i think overall we got it right last year what player were we going to get with 17th pick last year?
    we all saw the difference Allen made why not do it again with Cassel or Gross or Asmounga.
    because Cassel isn't the game changer taht Allen is.
    Asomugha is, but we'd have to pay a rediculous amount just to get him.

kspurplepride is offline Pro-Bowler

Why not take Freeman in the first round out of KState as a legit long term option at QB, and bring in Garcia or Leftwich for the short term?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast