Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TRADE DOWN

mattjenny3 is offline Starter

TRADE DOWN

The same thing happens every year, we all expect our first rounder(s) to be Randy Moss. Let's trade down to give us a wider range of players to evaluate. Top picks are usually just hyped up players, with the obvious exceptions: Joey H? K Winslow? Ryan Leaf? just to name a few. My point being, the hyped up guys are the same as the unknown's, they are a gamble. Let's increase our odds and get as many gambles as we can instead of "Betting it all on black".
    REDHORSE

Del Rio Guest

Re: TRADE DOWN

How bout.........no.

Jviking is offline Pro-Bowler

I dont think this is a good idea. We have done fairly well with our drafts picks early and late rounds. Of course we can pick a few bad apples too, but come on look at how bad the pack has done... I think we take and keep the high picks we have.
    I BLEED PURPLE!

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Everything is a gamble, true. However, I would rather try to get someone that did well in college because they have a better shot of doing well in the pros than someone that is only mediocre in college. Remember the above forementioned players were all on crappy teams. Everyone said the same about Vinny Testaverde. Look what happened when you put him on a decent team. K. Winslow hasn't played due to injury so you can't count him. Ryan Leaf and Joey H. had about as much protection as a broken condom. Joey H. Has shown signs of improving with a bit of an improved line. I would have to disagree about trading down.

I just re-read my post and realized I didn't do a good job of illistrating my point. I compared a #17 to top ten picks. What I meant was dropping down a few picks to get another #2 or Hopefully a #2 and #5 (#4??!!??) I didn't mean give up on our early rounders and drop down to pick a bunch of late first/second day picks.
    REDHORSE

I dont know if you want to throw K Winslow in there just yet...he has been injured for the last 2 seasons, freak injury last year. We will see i think he will be a game changer

"WinonaVike" wrote:
    I dont know if you want to throw K Winslow in there just yet...he has been injured for the last 2 seasons, freak injury last year. We will see i think he will be a game changer
    That's the point I'm trying to make. Under perfect circumstances Winslow would be great, he hopefully will be great still. So here's my point, every pick is a gamble regardless of how great they may be. If Winslow's bike had hit the curb a little harder he may have been out for good. Don't take this as me being a negative person either, I'm just saying if every pick is a gamble? are we not doing ourselves a favor by picking up more players?
    REDHORSE

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

"Del Rio" wrote:
    How bout.........no.
    Agree 100% the trade down only works if our are rebuilding or hamstrung by the cap in order to amass large number of cheap picks to fill out a roster. We are only a couple key players away from contending for the NFC crown so we take the best OL or LB available to us at #17.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

GreenBaySlackers is offline Star Spokesman

"Jviking" wrote:
    I dont think this is a good idea. We have done fairly well with our drafts picks early and late rounds. Of course we can pick a few bad apples too, but come on look at how bad the pack has done... I think we take and keep the high picks we have.
    wurd

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    How bout.........no.
    Agree 100% the trade down only works if our are rebuilding or hamstrung by the cap in order to amass large number of cheap picks to fill out a roster. We are only a couple key players away from contending for the NFC crown so we take the best OL or LB available to us at #17.
    I'm still with you here, BUT don't you think our options for impact players are through free agency? Same thing here/ risk / but at least they are proven NFL players. If we want to make a run, FA is our best bet. I see the point to keep building for the dynasty, but I'm getting sick of waiting let's draft the right way, pick up free agents that can get us a super bowl and when those FA go for the big payday, we let them leave, and we have all the high (2,3,4 rd talent) picks to keep us competitive. JMO
    REDHORSE

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast