Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    BleedinPandG is offline Coach

Re: Trade for Boldin???

"V" wrote:
    Well, you also need to quantify "improvement."

Is TJ with 3 years of experience vs. TJ with 2 years of experience an improvement?
    Is Cook with 3 years of experience vs. Cook with 2 years of experience an improvement?
    Is a healthy Rice vs. an "injured" Rice an improvement?
    Is Sage vs TJ and improvement?

This offense may have already gotten better. Key word being "may". Fans only like sure things.
    I've shied away from year over year improvement simply due to my lack in faith for our position coaches.

Frankly, I didn't see solid improvement in Cook from year 1 to year 2 which was disappointing.
    I'd rather see Hicks starting or even Hicks at LT and moving Mount McK over to the Right side if need be.

I have yet to see anything out of Rice that warrants the hype on this website, healthy or not.
    He's a big guy but I don't think he has been coached on how best to utilize that.
    The perfect example was the end of the game 4th down throw last year.
    Sure, he was interfered with.
    But why is a big guy with a great vertical leap trying to catch a ball on 4th down, past the marker, with his feet on the ground and the ball hitting him in the stomach?
    A midget had a chance to interfere with that throw.
    Allison has the speed to be a great player but apparently can't get coached enough to make it on the field.
    Berrian has only been on the team 16 games but still can't get past a jam on the line.
    I don't see our WRs improving without addition of talent.

TJ is the exception.
    One of the position coaches I don't knock is our QB coach.
    Is Sage an improvement?
    I don't know anything about him beyond the fact that he's a career backup.
    I'm a TJ fan so I think we'd be fine there with incremental improvements in the other 2 areas.
    Unfortunately I'm not sure those incremental improvements will be caused by continued coaching of existing talent.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

Re: Trade for Boldin???

"singersp" wrote:
    We definitely need improvement in at least 2 areas. RT as well as any upgrades on the o-line is high on my list as well. Has been for a few years now.

I'm also in agreement with you that I question the coaching abilities of some of our position coaches. Special teams, O-line & WR coaches being the top 3. I always felt from day 1 that Childress hired many of them because they were either friends or he worked with them before, rather than hiring the best coaches out there.

I'm not sold on the fact that it's the position coaches who are erring on how best to use the talent they have as I am on that blame falling on Childress. Personally, I'd love to see a new OC brought in here who can do just that & be allowed to do so.
    Well your feelings on Childress are obvious but I'm not sure the assertions you're making hold much water.
    First off, most leaders surround themselves with people they are comfortable with.
    It doesn't matter if you're in business, in Government, or in football.
    It's often felt a cohesive team is the most important factor to success versus the best individual talents.
    Something along the lines of the sum of the parts being greater then the individual pieces.
    Not everyone subscribes to this philosophy, I tend to struggle with it personally, but I know the background of it and understand why some believe in it.
    Given that Chilly planned to undertake a 2 - 3 year rebuilding process when he assumed control of the team, I think he did the right thing.
    I'm not convinced a best of breed team would have been able to stick together and stay the course through a rebuild.

As for Chilly and the position coaches... who knows?
    I've never read anywhere that Chilly has told a position coach to start player X when said coach wanted to start player Y other then the occasional disciplinary loss of series.
    I can see Chilly saying we're going to be a Zone Blocking team while his OLine coach may say our current talent is better suited to Man to Man.
    I don't see a problem with the HC taking a longer term, we'll be a better team in the end approach to the potential maximizing current talent approach (though I know some fans despise this).
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345