Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Top 5 Players at Each Position

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1089688
    So my personal wish for the first pick is Gabbert, DE, or DT. Then O-line at 2 or 4.
    Someone talking sense. If Newton continues to rise, Gabbert just might get down to us. Really depends on what happens with Kolb.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1089699
    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1089688
    So my personal wish for the first pick is Gabbert, DE, or DT. Then O-line at 2 or 4.
    Someone talking sense. If Newton continues to rise, Gabbert just might get down to us. Really depends on what happens with Kolb.
    I don't really want Gabbert or any other QB at 12, but if he is taken I would understand. Unfortunately, I think any of this years QB class is a reach at 12.

I would prefer we get a vet for a year or two to let Webb learn from. See what Webb looks like next year.Then draft your franchise QB in 2012 if Webb doesn't show improvement.

My reasoning is, none of this years QB's appear to be a 'franchise' QB.
    And I would like to work on improving the team around the future QB so he will have a better chance of success when he steps in.

There is also the looming lock out which will hurt any rookie QB who would miss out on OTA's, etc..
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Just a couple of points Her Marr.

1) Unless huge blunders are made at the Combine, there is no way we see either of the top 2 Qbs at this draft.

2) Mallet is worth taking # 12 overall. I know everyone has knocked him lately. He's too slow, not mobile etc. The kid however, is a Gamer and plays the position very well. He is very poised in the pocket and it's unfortunate that one game has erased everything he has done his entire career. I'm a stronger believe that you look at the career when drafting.
    I would take Mallet in a heart beat. waiting till the 2nd to grab a Locker(unlikely), Ponder(unlikely) and or the kid from TCU and U of D, is foolish. Take Mallet, work on the finer arts of QBing with him like a team should and coach up the small blemishes to his game.

3)I would rather sign Mcnabb than trade for Kolb. Drafting McNabb keeps us competitive while allowing Mallet to Progress.

Just some points on Mallet.
    1) Started 13 Games in 2009 for 3,595 passing yards and 30 tds. Tops in the SEC

2) Duplicated the feat in 2010 for 3,869 yards, 32 TDs, 12 INTs)

3) The game he is killed for..saw him throwing for 300 yards and 3 tds.

4) He plays in the SEC and faced big time competition. He excelled against said Comp and is listed in the top 3 of almost every QB category against ranked teams.

Knocks on Mallet are
    1) He isn't mobile.
    Which neglects to mention his quick release and keen ability to read the defense.

2) His accuracy takes a dive when asked to move his feet. I.E. run for his life.
    Some say this is an issue for this team but again, we are not just talking for this group of OL, we are building for the future and hopefully for the best line in the league. I also believe that switching to a man scheme will help us greatly.

3) Leadership questions.
    Not a problem with the leaders we will already have on that side of the ball. With Harvin, Load, Rice and AP all hitting their primes around the same time, Mallet should fit right in( he will be 25 I believe)

I love this guy at 12 for us.
    I saw a draft that had him going in the 2n round( If so, I hope we take him their) I believe him to be a superior QB than Mizz's Gabbert who played against weaker comp. and put up weaker stats.

dfosterf is offline Coach

If I were the Vikes I'd also take another developmental QB, someone very late and/or a UDFA.

Greg McElroy from Alabama is falling off the boards, he was an early 5th round "guess", has a broken hand or somesuch and may go later (7th?) or undrafted.

A real "flier" would be someone like Mitch Mustain out of USC. He just got popped for trying to sell what the cops thought were prescription drugs in a sting operation, but he was far more disgusting than that- the drugs were fake, and it being LA, they reduced the charge to a misdemeanor.

He never started at USC, got like one chance, threw a perfect ball to some kid in mop-up, the kid dropped it...

He did transfer from Arkansas, though, was 8-0 there, and here's the thing... One, he'll be a WAY under-the-radar UDFA, not even invited to the combine, etc. AND-

I think he is something like 61-2 as a starting QB since junior high, and the whole drug thing is supposedly WAY out of character, bible-thumper type in past, plus the kid is really smart -- don't laugh, in light of the drug bust thing... I think he carried a 4.0 GPA. He has just screwed up in so many ways and had weird circumstances...again---freebie look in camp is what I'm sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1089800
    If I were the Vikes I'd also take another developmental QB, someone very late and/or a UDFA.

Greg McElroy from Alabama is falling off the boards, he was an early 5th round "guess", has a broken hand or somesuch and may go later (7th?) or undrafted.

A real "flier" would be someone like Mitch Mustain out of USC. He just got popped for trying to sell what the cops thought were prescription drugs in a sting operation, but he was far more disgusting than that- the drugs were fake, and it being LA, they reduced the charge to a misdemeanor.

He never started at USC, got like one chance, threw a perfect ball to some kid in mop-up, the kid dropped it...

He did transfer from Arkansas, though, was 8-0 there, and here's the thing... One, he'll be a WAY under-the-radar UDFA, not even invited to the combine, etc. AND-

I think he is something like 61-2 as a starting QB since junior high, and the whole drug thing is supposedly WAY out of character, bible-thumper type in past, plus the kid is really smart -- don't laugh, in light of the drug bust thing... I think he carried a 4.0 GPA. He has just screwed up in so many ways and had weird circumstances...again---freebie look in camp is what I'm sayin'.
    Why would you want a UDFA to be your QB? : (
    Chances are he went undrafted for a reason.
    Why not draft the current Aak Qb...you know the one that beat him out for the job : (

You do habla "also"?

Earlier in this very same exact thread...

quote, ME:

I think you take Mallett at 12
    (inadvertently a little harsh-sounding on my part, but day-um)

The reasoning being that Mallett is far from a sure thing, imo, and a couple of very late-round or UDFA's give the staff a couple more "bites at the apple" in a potential QB, while able to address other needs also.

Tom Brady was a 6th rd pick, Tony Romo was undrafted, Bart Starr was a 17th round pick...

Case in point- JUST put out by PFT--- http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/17/ryan-mallett-has-massive-talent-faces-many-questions/

Now I might not tell you guys about a WR you should pick up, lol

Ah, what the hell you can have him...another UDFA

6'6" 239 fast as lightning WR, yet will be a UDFA, imo

reason?

immature diva idiot Randy Moss self-absorbed type. (more imo)

...just more of it than the ones that are just like him but teams will still stupidly pay for...along with some serious injuries, and barring those, might have been a first rounder. Remember, free is good, draft pick - wise.

SOB will probably get drafted 3rd to 6th rds due to the combine, but at 7th rd or later you'd be stealing, character or lack thereof considered in the equation. More for Marr to ponder in his closet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=379059

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1089804
    You do habla "also"?

quote, ME:

The reasoning being that Mallett is far from a sure thing, imo, and a couple of very late-round or UDFA's give the staff a couple more "bites at the apple" in a potential QB, while able to address other needs also.

Tom Brady was a 6th rd pick, Tony Romo was undrafted, Bart Starr was a 17th round pick...

Case in point- JUST put out by PFT--- http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/17/ryan-mallett-has-massive-talent-faces-many-questions/

reason?

...just more of it than the ones that are just like him but teams will still stupidly pay for...along with some serious injuries, and barring those, might have been a first rounder. Remember, free is good, draft pick - wise.

SOB will probably get drafted 3rd to 6th rds due to the combine, but at 7th rd or later you'd be stealing, character or lack thereof considered in the equation. More for Marr to ponder in his closet.

So you give us 3 QB's in the modern era as a basis for drafting a late QB? Heck one was debatable to put in the modern era.

The sheer lack of any other cases to support your proposal makes a strong case for going back to square 1 and rethinking the whole thing over again..........

You do habla "also"?

quote, ME:

reason?

It was a bit rough but I'm a big boy and I can handle it.
    Including the word also in that phase makes your entire post superfluous ( thanks Tiki). What NFL team doesn't bring in camp arms? Let alone a team with 2 QBs on the roster, 1 a converted WR. Thanks for the sleeper signing... I'll make sure I tell the Vikes FO .

On a more serious note. I am a Maller poster boy, I believe that he will be the best QB in the class. Simply because his character concerns are silly(Drunken College behavior from BMOC, im shocked). I rather point to his top notch production against the nations best teams and toughest conference. The guy is going to be an great QB.

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1089807
    You do habla "also"?

quote, ME:

reason?

So you give us 3 QB's in the modern era as a basis for drafting a late QB? Heck one was debatable to put in the modern era.

The sheer lack of any other cases to support your proposal makes a strong case for going back to square 1 and rethinking the whole thing over again..........
    You (apparently) still didn't get it-

What I have SAID is this-

(if you have read the entire thread)

Due to your situation, take Mallett in the first round at 12---Take Greg McElroy if he is still there in the 7th, which is a possibility--

And Mitch Mustain would be a great street free agent pick up that I think will be available...

And I don't think McElroy or Mustain are "camp arms" or I wouldn't have dragged their names up for this discussion. I put them in this discussion on what I think you should ALSO do IF YOU DRAFTED MALLETT, because I'm not fond of using the 12 on him and am looking for INSURANCE, coupled with the REASONS one is a potential 7th rounder and the other an almost definite UDFA. A draftnut (like Marr) might want to investigate what I'm sayin', and that is all I'm sayin'.

...And I just threw out a couple of examples, and Bart won 5 friggin' championships, and I saw all of them, but I'll be nice and just give you two more, and as a bonus, I'll also just stick to Green Bay for my example (because I'm a nice guy B) )

Kurt Warner. Ever hear of him? Undrafted Free agent GB Packers

Matt Hasselbeck. 6th rd pick GB Packers

I threw the WR in the thread as a bonus for Marr :P and my rationale for grabbing these two particular QB's is pretty well thought out, including the ability to "hide" one or more of them on your practice squad for developing "properly"-another discussion Marr and I had- without a severe danger of either of them getting scarfed up from the PS like what happened to us with Brohm (2nd rounder, Buffalo "stole" off our PS)

sheez.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast