Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Top 5 Players at Each Position

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1089647
    On the microwave thing, of course.

Back to the compensatory draft thing, a better example for you guys would be your pick #167 in the 2010 draft, 5th round.

You got that compensatory pick for your loss of Matt Birk the preceding year.
    Got that. I was just wondering what his color codes mean for his spread sheet he has in the article.

Are one of them switches of additioanl picks and one additional picks?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Looks like Mayock has been revamping his initial views on a few positions there. Glad we're not likely to be looking at LB as that doesn't look good - albeit on paper.

One thing that does strike me, with the ongoing CBA negotiations and possible follow ons, is that teams potentially could find themselves with limited or little time in terms of training camps this year - especially if a lockout did drag on later into the year. In that case the Combine may be one of the few times that teams are going to be able fully assess what a player is capable of doing. On that basis I wonder how many teams will possibly get caught out in drafting 'Combine warriors' who then will really struggle when the season does start.
    This will show up the FOs that are good at assessing and scouting talented players and those who get high on a player because of his Combine scores - in some cases they are lucky due to then having time to get such players up to speed in OTAs, TC etc. May not have that luxury this time.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Quote Originally Posted by "AngloVike" #1089670
    Looks like Mayock has been revamping his initial views on a few positions there. Glad we're not likely to be looking at LB as that doesn't look good - albeit on paper.

One thing that does strike me, with the ongoing CBA negotiations and possible follow ons, is that teams potentially could find themselves with limited or little time in terms of training camps this year - especially if a lockout did drag on later into the year. In that case the Combine may be one of the few times that teams are going to be able fully assess what a player is capable of doing. On that basis I wonder how many teams will possibly get caught out in drafting 'Combine warriors' who then will really struggle when the season does start.
    This will show up the FOs that are good at assessing and scouting talented players and those who get high on a player because of his Combine scores - in some cases they are lucky due to then having time to get such players up to speed in OTAs, TC etc. May not have that luxury this time.
    Hell of a good point my friend.

dfosterf is offline Coach

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1089655
    Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1089647
    On the microwave thing, of course.

Back to the compensatory draft thing, a better example for you guys would be your pick #167 in the 2010 draft, 5th round.

You got that compensatory pick for your loss of Matt Birk the preceding year.
    Got that. I was just wondering what his color codes mean for his spread sheet he has in the article.

Are one of them switches of additioanl picks and one additional picks?

From his blog:

Picks shaded green are those that I projected in the correct round, and picks shaded yellow are those on which I was off by one round. Although I correctly projected Tampa Bay to get a seventh-round pick, I projected it to be a non-compensatory pick, but it turned out to be a net-value pick, so I'm not counting it as a correct pick. I'm also not counting Miami's net-value pick in the seventh round as being off by one round, even though I projected the Dolphins to receive a sixth-round pick.

mountainviking is online now Team Alumni

On the CB, most mocks have the top two guys gone by our pick, but, as always, there's a chance that enough of the big boys who can move sliding up the charts to possibly, maybe drop Prince to us. Thing is, our CBs wern't terrible last year and we were missing Griffin and Cook for most of the year...maybe, we're fine at CB. Safety, is where I think we need an upgrade.

I really want some depth improvement on our OL. Hutch and McKinnie aren't getting any younger, and, so far, our C has been a disappointment. Obviously, we need QB(s!) And, this whole, CBA, no trades or OTAs thing is working against whoever our QB is going to be getting ready to lead our new offense!!?! Doh!

I'm not usually a fan of trading future picks, but when it comes to QB, getting him started on his learning curve a year early makes sense to me. Perhaps, we can go BPA at 12 (if we can't move down) and trade next year's first for whichever QB we like who falls to late first/early 2nd.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

If Cook can back to his pre-injury form, he may become a good CB. Right now he isn't.
    Griffen has become pretty good but also can't stay healthy.
    Asher is ok as a nickel back but has a lot of trouble with physical receivers.

I would like to see Winfield get moved to safety but he also has trouble staying healthy.

If our CB's could stay healthy, we would probably be alright in the cover 2 system.

But I wouldn't mind drafting another CB this year. I just don't want to use the first pick on one.

I'm a Nebraska fan and don't see the love some of these guys have for Prince. Either it's a weak CB class or I'm missing something.

A stud defensive end would help the defensive backs, and there are a lot of good ends in this years draft class.

I personally would like to keep Ray Edwards, but don't see it happening. And I'm not as sold on Robison as some here are.

So my personal wish for the first pick is Gabbert, DE, or DT. Then O-line at 2 or 4.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1089654
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1089646
    OL or CB.

BPA at those positions.
    I have been doing so much research the last couple of days. OL (OT)...should be a good one there regardless of how many are taken ahead of us.(CB)...Looks like the top rated CB might be better suited as a S. If that is the case, he will go lower that 5 (were most have him projected) with Prince possibly being there at 12.

I think the chances are slim though.
    I like building the line either on Offense or Defense. I think that the draft class is heavy on talent for the big guys and we're more likely to get a QB or Skill player later. I just do not see a QB that is worthy of #12 pick right now.

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1089688
    I would like to see Winfield get moved to safety but he also has trouble staying healthy.

I'm a Nebraska fan and don't see the love some of these guys have for Prince. Either it's a weak CB class or I'm missing something.
    I have often thought that putting Winfield at safety will be a way we can keep him going a little longer and maybe keep him healthy. Keep him on the slot and corner on first and second downs and then move him to safety or a free blitzer on third downs.....idk just a thought.

As to your second point, my wife is from NE and I have officially been brainwashed into following the Corn. Prince has all the skill sets to be good in the NFL. Most teams didn't even throw to his side, other than OSU. Blackmon burned him pretty good for a defining score. I think that he will see more receivers like Blackmon in the NFL and a cover 2 zone scheme may be a system to keep him aggressive while knowing he has over the top help.

Quote Originally Posted by "mountainviking" #1089683
    On the CB, most mocks have the top two guys gone by our pick, but, as always, there's a chance that enough of the big boys who can move sliding up the charts to possibly, maybe drop Prince to us. Thing is, our CBs wern't terrible last year and we were missing Griffin and Cook for most of the year...maybe, we're fine at CB. Safety, is where I think we need an upgrade.
    I'm with you on the CB analysis. Most of our problem with CB's is the scheme. It just isn't conducive for the big plays that most fans want to see. In short, the boys do a fine job with respect to what they are asked to do.

As to S. Like most, I am not happy with M-will, but I do like what a couple of the youngsters (Sanford/Johnson) have flashed and I like what Husian did. Like Griff, maybe it is just gonna be a couple of years for Sanford and Johnson to finally get a clue. Problem is, Husain and Johnson are FA's. Question begs, do you resign them or do you draft a kid and start over with the thought in mind that starting over means you are gonna watch a kid struggle at times just like Sanford and Johnson have.

I really want some depth improvement on our OL. Hutch and McKinnie aren't getting any younger, and, so far, our C has been a disappointment. Obviously, we need QB(s!) And, this whole, CBA, no trades or OTAs thing is working against whoever our QB is going to be getting ready to lead our new offense!!?! Doh!
    I wasn't disappointed in Sully in 2009 when he had to experienced G's on each side of him to help. I think this year has been a down year cause of injuries to both G's as well as injuries that Sully has struggled through.

All of that is a moot/mute point though as the change in scheme (away from the ZBing scheme) dictates that Sully be replaced. He just doesn't have the ass to play a more "Hat on Hat"/"Man up" Center without the help he normally gets from the G's in the ZB'ng scheme.

Additionally, I think you will see the T play improve a bit more as they move to the new scheme as well with the thought in mind, however, that there will be some growing pains as everyone relearns their new role.

I'm not usually a fan of trading future picks, but when it comes to QB, getting him started on his learning curve a year early makes sense to me. Perhaps, we can go BPA at 12 (if we can't move down) and trade next year's first for whichever QB we like who falls to late first/early 2nd.
    I'm not sure I like that idea. Why not just take a kid you like, mix him with Bomar and Webb. Let them work this year, if they don't look good, use your 1rst again next year on another guy? In the end, your gonna have to take another one next year, and the year after, and the year after anyways.

Again, QB is a position that you need to address each and every year. If you don't, well, you wind up in the mess we are in.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast