Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Top 5 Players at Each Position

Quote Originally Posted by "AngloVike" #1089571
    First off I will say that I'm not overly familiar with college football and so can't make specific comments on players skill, production etc so my questions may be more generic questions

Regarding Jake Locker - now the scouting report shown says that he would have been possibly the #1 overal draft pick last year. This year he's showing up at #15 ( in the scouting report ) - so what has changed in a year to drop him that much? Is it that the players declaring for this year are that much more talented at their respective postiions, are more of positions of need for the teams drafting this year? or is that that the extra year has highlighted bigger flaws in Lockers play than was known about this time last year? Looking at the weaknesses shown he sounds a little too fragile for my liking and don't want to go for a QB that is always going to be missing lots of playing time through injury - especially if the OL play like they did last year.

Mallett - mention made that there are minor mechanics issues with him. If Chilly was here then that would concern me as that was not a major concern to him when his boy had so many of them. However with the new coaching staff in then we have the unknown of how well they will be able to develop players and eliminate problems from peoples way of playing.

If neither QB is high on our list then I think OL is the choice to go for. From the report then Solder looks good and like the sound of the pass protection which I don't think we get from McKinnie. If we did go for him then would McKinnie get moved to RT and Loadholt move down to backup, or would we then be looking at trading McKinnie?

Not sure about going for a DE in the first round, though if the better DTs have gone then DE may be worth considering. I agree that S is a need but not for the first round and definitely not WR or RB IMO either.
    Good stuff Anglo. I, like you, don't follow the collegiate guys enough to have your answers. I am hoping some of the college gurus help us out with that stuff.

What I have heard, with respect to Locker has to do with how well he played this year vs last year as the main reason for his drop.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1089592
    I'm not sure any of this years QB's are worthy of a #12 pick.
    I wouldn't argue with taking Gabbert there but I'll be surprised if we took anyone else there.

Pouncey isn't a twelve. If we really think he is what we need, and it sounds as if he would be a much better guard than center, then I would trade back to take him. I don't think he will be a first rounder though.

I think we look at Defensive end at 12. Perhaps NT. A pick Marrdro and I have always agreed on.
    Only the last 2 years have I clamored for a NT. Mostly cause of were we picked and the roster wasn't in such a need for starters.

As to Pouncey. I would love to see us move down and get extra picks but I think we are gonna see Pouncey move up the boards after the combine. Guys like Ourlads and Mayock already have him up in the 10-15 range.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "b_sandhar_29" #1089590
    Although I don't like the pick, I think it makes most sense to draft Pouncey either at 12 or trading down a couple picks to snag him in the back half of the first and get back that 3rd we lost from acquiring Moss. 7 teams next year play a 3-4 and sully just can't hold his own against any nose tackle. If we're going to become a heavy run team its important to have good interior linemen. Herrera must stay because he is probably our most aggressive run blocker and I can see Pouncey playing center although he has little experience playing center (1 YR).

I think you go either linemen or Amukamura CB because we'll soon realize we're gonna need good corners who can man up and hold their own if we see a little more blitz happy play-calling. And to Marrdro don't you think we should be making a move for Shaun Rodgers? We've seen the damage he could do when he was in Detroit. His play was just as good in Cleveland playing NT in a 3-4. That may be a temp fix that would last a good 3 years.

Back to my point if we're going to be a solid run team, we should really address the line and even if you feel Pouncey is a reach at 12 a tackle wouldn't be a bad move here or simply the BPA approach.
    Excellent point on the defensive schedule we will face next year. I haven't even looked at that aspect yet.

On a side note, I will do that when I get a bit further into my team needs thread. Might post that tonight.

On a side side note. Great post my friend. I just bumped you a couple of columns on the ole spreadsheet. B)

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1089589
    I think you are going to take Mallett if he is there.

As to o-linemen, I'm personally very leery of any prospect under 310 lbs.

Weird thing to say, huh? I get VERY afraid when I hear the scouts say, "Ideal for the ZBS scheme employed by [GB, Minn, etc.]"

RUN from that selection in the NFCN, imo Take them off your board ! again, imo

It's a brutal lesson learned. Get your ideally qualified hat-on-a-hat guy and make him a friggin' zbser, I say, so even Nate didn't make "my" board, much less the 290 lb developmental tackle (in my highly opinionated opinion )

"Massive"? Locker? He's at LEAST 3 lbs light in the trou lol

(NO, I don't really trust any of the given weights...yet)

GD zbs, friggin' light in the trou zbsers, I'm gonna shut up now, lol I'll rant.

This is a great site also, imo

http://www.drafttek.com/default.asp
    Thanks for the link. One I didn't have bookmarked.

I'm very concerned we will take one of the QB's at 12 as well and it won't be because he is good enough, but rather, as a pick to appease/garner fan approval.

If it happens, I would rather have Mallet head over Locker at this point but I really would rather see them take Kaepernick over the both of them. If you look close at his increase in stats over his collegiate career and look even harder at his INT's, you can see why guys like Mayock are saying he will get up into the middle of the first round by the end of the combine.

Quote Originally Posted by "skum" #1089588
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1089568
    Another viewpoint.....Going by their Mock, using the strikethrough on the top 25 rated players, who would you take at 12?

[strike]#1 Nick Fairley DE 6' 5.0" 298 lbs 4.95 Auburn[/strike]
    [strike]#2 DaQuan Bowers DE 6' 3.6" 271 lbs 4.75 Clemson[/strike]
    [strike]#3 Patrick Peterson CB 6' 1.1" 222 lbs 4.42 Louisiana State[/strike]
    [strike]#4 A.J. Green WR 6' 3.5" 207 lbs 4.49 Georgia[/strike]
    [strike]#5 Blaine Gabbert QB 6' 4.1" 242 lbs 4.80 Missouri[/strike]
    [strike]#6 Julio Jones WR 6' 4.1" 218 lbs 4.40 Alabama[/strike]
    [strike]#7 Marcell Dareus DT 6' 3.0" 306 lbs 4.85 Alabama[/strike]
    [strike]#8 Robert Quinn DE 6' 4.1" 272 lbs 4.65 North Carolina[/strike]
    #9 Ryan Mallett QB 6' 6.2" 238 lbs 5.00 Arkansas
    #10 Nate Solder OT 6' 7.7" 307 lbs 4.80 Colorado
    #11 Gabe Carimi OT 6' 7.1" 315 lbs 5.20 Wisconsin
    [strike]#12 Von Miller DE 6' 2.0" 253 lbs 4.50 Texas A&M[/strike]
    [strike]#13 Prince Amukamara CB 6' 0.5" 205 lbs 4.45 Nebraska[/strike]
    #14 Cameron Jordan DE 6' 4.1" 287 lbs 4.90 California
    #15 Jake Locker QB 6' 3.0" 226 lbs 4.45 Washington
    [strike]#16 Cam Newton QB 6' 5.3" 252 lbs 4.60 Auburn[/strike]
    #17 J.J. Watt DE 6' 5.5" 290 lbs 4.80 Wisconsin
    #18 Anthony Castonzo OT 6' 7.0" 290 lbs 5.00 Boston College
    #19 Ryan Kerrigan DE 6' 3.7" 255 lbs 4.85 Purdue
    #20 Akeem Ayers LB 6' 2.7" 254 lbs 4.67 UCLA
    #21 Kyle Rudolph TE 6' 5.5" 264 lbs 4.80 Notre Dame
    #22 Phil Taylor DT 6' 2.7" 340 lbs 5.30 Baylor
    #23 Cameron Heyward DT 6' 5.1" 288 lbs 4.96 Ohio State
    #24 Drake Nevis DT 6' 0.5" 294 lbs 4.97 Louisiana State
    #25 Marvin Austin DT 6' 2.5" 305 lbs 5.00 North Carolina
    I really like Kerrigan here and again Mallett, don't know why Tyron Smith isn't in this Top 25
    He is on some of the other sites. As I said, this class is deep deep with starters at the T position this year. Hard to get all of them in.

Haven't seen Kerrigan play. Is he better than Jordan?

Who do you think is better, Mallett or Kaepernick?

dfosterf is offline Coach

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1089639

Weird thing to say, huh? I get VERY afraid when I hear the scouts say, "Ideal for the ZBS scheme employed by [GB, Minn, etc.]"

It's a brutal lesson learned. Get your ideally qualified hat-on-a-hat guy and make him a friggin' zbser, I say, so even Nate didn't make "my" board, much less the 290 lb developmental tackle (in my highly opinionated opinion )

GD zbs, friggin' light in the trou zbsers, I'm gonna shut up now, lol I'll rant.

I'm very concerned we will take one of the QB's at 12 as well and it won't be because he is good enough, but rather, as a pick to appease/garner fan approval.

If it happens, I would rather have Mallet head over Locker at this point but I really would rather see them take Kaepernick over the both of them. If you look close at his increase in stats over his collegiate career and look even harder at his INT's, you can see why guys like Mayock are saying he will get up into the middle of the first round by the end of the combine.
    I think right now, on "paper", on many draft "guesser" boards you could argue that Kaepernick just might be there for your 4th round pick. Of the "big" guessers, Mayock is by far and away the best one, imo. and have seen that meteoric climb just about every year for someone like him.

If the Vikes do take a Mallett or whoever, I wouldn't necessarily assign it to a concept of trying to appease, but rather a combo of a new coach, new regime, and some of the recent successes of some of these "microwaved" (not my term, new scout/media/league term) quarterbacks...that's why I think it will happen... Kind of a "hope springs eternal" concept. This QB class looks pretty sucky to me, but you know what, so what? Like anyone has ever really got it right before, you know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1089643
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1089639

I think right now, on "paper", on many draft "guesser" boards you could argue that Kaepernick just might be there for your 4th round pick. Of the "big" guessers, Mayock is by far and away the best one, imo. and have seen that meteoric climb just about every year for someone like him.

If the Vikes do take a Mallett or whoever, I wouldn't necessarily assign it to a concept of trying to appease, but rather a combo of a new coach, new regime, and some of the recent successes of some of these "microwaved" (not my term, new scout/media/league term) quarterbacks...that's why I think it will happen... Kind of a "hope springs eternal" concept. This QB class looks pretty sucky to me, but you know what, so what? Like anyone has ever really got it right before, you know what I mean?
    He, Mayock, likened him to the Flacco movement. Remember, Flacco was originally projected into the 4-6th round.

I like the "Micorwaved" term. With your permission, I will use it at some point.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

OL or CB.

BPA at those positions.

dfosterf is offline Coach

On the microwave thing, of course.

Back to the compensatory draft thing, a better example for you guys would be your pick #167 in the 2010 draft, 5th round.

You got that compensatory pick for your loss of Matt Birk the preceding year.

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1089646
    OL or CB.

BPA at those positions.
    I have been doing so much research the last couple of days. OL (OT)...should be a good one there regardless of how many are taken ahead of us.

(CB)...Looks like the top rated CB might be better suited as a S. If that is the case, he will go lower that 5 (were most have him projected) with Prince possibly being there at 12.

I think the chances are slim though.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast