Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: Todd McShay article - Vikes to trade up for Vince Young?

I would really rather see us take Cutler over Young....he just makes me way to nervous.

LAVike is offline Pro-Bowler

Man, I just hope the brass doesn't pull one of those "we drafted a guy that should've been a second or third rounder at the 17th pick" moves!
    "Veni, Vidi, Vikings!"--Julius Caesar

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"VIKINGinGEORGIA" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    DRAFT DeAngelo Williams...F*** Vince Young!!!
    No. Tell us how you really feel.
    That would get this thread locked...but suffice it to say that Vince Young is not the QB that the Vikings need to win a championship! He will be the next Tim Couch!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

I've been hoping that the Vikings take a RB in the 1st round all offseason...
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold

Thanks to PPE for sig

Jeremy is offline Starter

"NeoVikesTX" wrote:
    Noooooooo! I don't want a Michael Vick/Daunte Culpepper type QB on our team. I want a pocket passer who is capable of running the west-coast offense. I really don't think Zygi and company are dumb enough to do something like this anyway. The only QB worth trading up for in my opinion is Matt Leinart and that would cost us the farm.
    What QB is a pocket passer in a west coast offense? All of the good ones are mobile. McNabb? Can scramble. Vick? Can scramble. Hasselbeck? Can scramble. Farve? When he was at his best he could scramble. Harrington. Yes, he definately is not moblie. Pure pocket passer there. How did that work out?Steve Young? Scrambler. Garcia had some sucess with San Fran when he was younger and he could scramble too.

-- The quarterback must be mobile, be able to throw a touch pass with accuracy, and be intelligent. He must throw on rhythm and timing. As Steve Young says, "In contrast, the West Coast offense as it originated with Bill Walsh is any play or set of plays that tie the quarterback's feet to the receiver's route so there is a sense of timing."
    Football 101

Gee, I guess you better be able to throw on the run and be accurate.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"vikesoto" wrote:
    I've been hoping that the Vikings take a RB in the 1st round all offseason...
    Yes....and the best value at our pick will most likely be DeAngelo...or at least I HOPE that he is still there! :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "VIKINGinGEORGIA" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    DRAFT DeAngelo Williams...F*** Vince Young!!!
    No. Tell us how you really feel.
    That would get this thread locked...but suffice it to say that Vince Young is not the QB that the Vikings need to win a championship! He will be the next Tim Couch!
    ~ Or the next Akili Smith!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

I just thought I'd comment on this, because it really annoys me, but I HATE it when people compare players currently in the draft to current/past players, simply because they have similar ability or went to the same college. It seems to happen every draft time and is almost always WAYYY off.

For all the BS people talk I find it hard to believe that none of you would take Vick on this team right now. He is better than anyone we have and although statistically he isn't the best quarterback, he is a proven winner and a great football player, which beats a "model" QB any day.

Vince Young is not Mike Vick, he is Vince Young. He is a much more accurate passer than Vick, and a proven winner with leadership and other intangibles that players like Vick or CUlpepper have not demonstrated. Does that mean he will be a great player? Who knows.

The fact of the matter is if he was in the draft last year he would have been the top pick overall hands down, and is probably better than any QB in next years draft either.

Everyone here seems o want to draft a LB or RB in the first round which I can't fully comprehend. Chances are that any rookie linebacker we draft in the first round will not start at the beginning of the season. We are not going to solve our problems at LB by continuing to draft rookies and expecting them to be all stars, why not develop the talented group we already have? I mean if anything, there will be a slew of talented LBs in the second and third rounds anyway. AS far as a running back is concerned, what is the point? We already have 3 quality players who I wouldn't mind seeing be the starter, and running backs are easy to find in the draft. No rookie has proven they can be a full time starter in the NFL anyway. Chances are someone like Lendale could fall to us in the second round anyway.

Currently we have a 37 year old quarterback with no arm strength guiding our offense. Now this may work for this season IF the rest of our team picks it up, but I have no faith that Brad can CARRY this team . I saw too many horrible offensive performances with him at the helm last year. And who else is there Mike McMahon? I think I might slit my wrists if that guy ever had to start.

I seems like most people here are just going through some Culpepper backlash from the fact that we never won anything with him, and so they decide to label a completely different person as a carbon copy.

QB is the most important position on a team. We have no future at QB right now. Vince Young has shown more as a player, leader and winner and has wayyy more upside than any of the second rounds hacks that everyone seems to prop up.

If Vince lasts till #6, trade up and take him.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

IdaVike_Cheese-Hater is offline Training Camp

I couldn't agree more with the naked Stalone! Vince Young is a freak of nature. Any quaterback we take could potentially be a bust, but this guy has more upside than anybody. What ever he lacks could be coached with a talented staff, and it appears we have that. Most of us probably watched that Rose Bowl game and I was in awe of this guy. He is an absolute winner. I would love to take the risk of moving up to get him. A guy with his overall athletic ability passing, running etc. doesn't come around very often.

He very well could be a bust, but I think the potential reward outweighs it, especially in a year when we have a surplus of picks. It's not very often that we are going to have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and if we start racking up the wins like I hope this might be a rare chance to reach up and grab a guy like that.

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

We'll see...the Vikes front office knows what they are doing. They'll make it work

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast