Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

Todd McShay article - Vikes to trade up for Vince Young?

Here's dis mug's take on what we might do.
    ================================================
    Vikes, Chiefs exploring options
    Insider
    By Todd McShay
    Scouts Inc.
    Archive

NFL teams are permitted to conduct 30 private workout sessions leading up to the draft. Often, teams will waste a few of those sessions as a smokescreen, meeting prospects they have no interest in drafting. However, studying a teams' list of workouts usually offers a glimpse into its drafting game plan.

Minnesota Vikings -- The Vikings have used several of their recent workouts on quarterbacks and linebackers, arguably their two biggest positions of need. The Vikings have scheduled workouts with QBs Vince Young (Texas) and Jay Cutler (Vanderbilt) next week.

Minnesota reportedly would consider moving up a few spots in order to draft Young, should he slip to the 10th overall pick (Cardinals) or beyond. There is also a sense that the team isn't willing to move up for Cutler, but would select him if he is still available at pick No. 17.

If the Vikings are unable to secure a quarterback in the first round, their attention will turn to the linebacker position. The team would love for Florida State's Ernie Sims to slip, but knows that is an improbability. Iowa's Chad Greenway would be given strong consideration, as would Alabama's Demeco Ryans, who is scheduled to visit the team on Friday. Ryans would be a reach with the 17th pick, but could become an option should the Vikings elect to trade down in the first round.

The Vikings also had a private workout recently with Minnesota RB Laurence Maroney. While quarterback and linebacker are bigger needs, the Vikings might elect to take advantage of this year's strong running back class by selecting Maroney in the middle of the first round. Maroney would be a good fit for new head coach Brad Childress' version of the West Coast offense and would be eased into a rotation that includes three situational-type backs in Chester Taylor, Mewelde Moore and Ciatrick Fason.

If the Vikings do not draft a quarterback in Round 1, look for them to address the need soon after. Clemson's Charlie Whitehurst worked out privately for them this week and would be a decent value with the Vikings' second-round pick (48th overall).
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Todd McShay article - Vikes to trade up for Vince Young?

DRAFT DeAngelo Williams...F*** Vince Young!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

scheduling workouts means absolutely nothing..you just look to see if that specific player can absolutely wow you..not gonna happen with young because the guy has never taken a snap under center before, just shotgun snaps, which isnt even used in the WCO..i wouldnt start worrying about it
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Noooooooo! I don't want a Michael Vick/Daunte Culpepper type QB on our team. I want a pocket passer who is capable of running the west-coast offense. I really don't think Zygi and company are dumb enough to do something like this anyway. The only QB worth trading up for in my opinion is Matt Leinart and that would cost us the farm.
    Skol!
    Go Vikings!

Vikings trade unlikely

There always is a chance that some team will make an offer during the draft that the Vikings can't turn down. But team owner Zygi Wilf doesn't foresee any trades.

"I don't see that happening. We're in a great position. We're the only team with five picks that first day," Wilf said. "We don't want to give up that position. There are too many good players out there to sacrifice that position. I think we're in a good position also because we're in the middle of the pack. I think we're in a good position to get the guys we want.

"With five picks on the first day -- I think we'll fulfill the remaining needs that we have," Wilf added. "We're never going to ... get everything we need. But I think we're in good shape."

viking trade unlikely

Formo is offline Team Alumni

"NeoVikesTX" wrote:
    Noooooooo! I don't want a Michael Vick/Daunte Culpepper type QB on our team. I want a pocket passer who is capable of running the west-coast offense. I really don't think Zygi and company are dumb enough to do something like this anyway. The only QB worth trading up for in my opinion is Matt Leinart and that would cost us the farm.
    Amen. Although, I would like to see us draft Leinart, even if it costed us the farm.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

Prophet Guest

The smoke is so thick in this thread that I can't read the article.

"Prophet" wrote:
    The smoke is so thick in this thread that I can't read the article.
    Ha! I wonder if writers start making up crap to put out there just to really confuse everyone. I would if I was in that position. That would be sweet.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I would rather have Cutler then Young.. Young is a great QB, but I believe that Cutler is a better fit for a WCO then Young is. I don't think the Vikes should go after a RB. That of course is just my opinion. We need a QB and a LB more than any other position.

"cajunvike" wrote:
    DRAFT DeAngelo Williams...F*** Vince Young!!!
    No. Tell us how you really feel.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast