Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Today’s topic: Offensive line

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Potus2028" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    [quote author=P.P.E. link=topic=44277.msg767495#msg767495 date=1209010940]
    I think we should get a couple tackles in the draft, We defiantly need to keep Mckinnie because he is still a great LT and protecting the QB's backside is a very important role.
    We dont know what his suspension is so we cant say we need to replace him yet.
    Im not sold on Cook as our right tackle either.
    getting a tackle that could play both sides would be ideal because he could play on the left side if Mckinnie is suspended and then move over to the right side if Cook plays poorly.
    I didn't see much protection of our QB's blind sides in the last 2 years. That is the point.
    Is he a great run blocker? I think so. Did he do a good job of pass blocking in the old scheme? I think so. Has he made a good transition to the new blocking scheme? No, not really.
    I think he has. However, no one gives him/the oline credit for keeping the multitude of blitzes off our QB. Our Qb play was terrible late lastyear. Bears games, Skins game, 49ers game. The fronts that we faced, i don't think any other team faced las year. The pressure that Mac and these guys faced were compounded by the bad throws, slow reads, and bad descisions of a young Qb. You can't have your O-Line block 8 defenders all day. I think we are fooling ourselves on how rare a domiant Lt is in this league and we should be thankful for what we have. We won't upgrade a sup par QB but we want our LT to not just be great but be the best.
    one of the few passes i agree with you 100%.
    Its hard to protect your qb when you have 2 different guys coming right at you.
    Add to the fact that TJ takes a while to make his reads, AD and Shank are poor in pass blocking, and you can't really expect too much more out of our Line.
    We've got Youth and inexperience on the right side as well.
    I think Mac is essentially only good for run blocking. It is hard to see him moving quickly back to push off a defender that s bull rushing him. Often times the RB had to make a last ditch effort to block the DE making his way towards w/e qb we had in at the time.

But more over. I think an issue we are all ignoring is our situation at center. Matt Berk is the only one left from the 1998 season. Which means he has been play 10 plus years. (I want to say 12 total?) Is it time to pick a young C and have him trained for 1 or two more years. Or try to make a big time Hutch like deal? We have the opportunity with in the next two years to properly plan for when Berk leaves us. Instead of ending up in a situation like we have on the right side of the line, where everything is in the air.. We can plan and be prepared for the future. I love Berk, but we need to plan for when he's gone. And that's been my biggest concern for the O-Line. Remember back two years ago when he was injured. We need a quality center to anchor down the O-line.
    I think personally we'll draft a guy or get an undrafted FA to replace him.
    Look at the history of FA centres.
    ALl the ones who have lasted, are little known late to undrafted players, who were smart about the game.
    I don't see us making a blockbuster trade/signing for a Centre anytime soon.
    Quite Frankly, I don't think we can afford it.
    [/quote]

Do you see the C becoming a problem.. OR do you think the Vikes will properly plan for it?
    i m better than you, so just give up...

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Today’s topic: Offensive line

"Potus2028" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Potus2028" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    [quote author=UffDaVikes link=topic=44277.msg767585#msg767585 date=1209037197]
    [quote author=P.P.E. link=topic=44277.msg767495#msg767495 date=1209010940]
    I think we should get a couple tackles in the draft, We defiantly need to keep Mckinnie because he is still a great LT and protecting the QB's backside is a very important role.
    We dont know what his suspension is so we cant say we need to replace him yet.
    Im not sold on Cook as our right tackle either.
    getting a tackle that could play both sides would be ideal because he could play on the left side if Mckinnie is suspended and then move over to the right side if Cook plays poorly.
    I didn't see much protection of our QB's blind sides in the last 2 years. That is the point.
    Is he a great run blocker? I think so. Did he do a good job of pass blocking in the old scheme? I think so. Has he made a good transition to the new blocking scheme? No, not really.
    I think he has. However, no one gives him/the oline credit for keeping the multitude of blitzes off our QB. Our Qb play was terrible late lastyear. Bears games, Skins game, 49ers game. The fronts that we faced, i don't think any other team faced las year. The pressure that Mac and these guys faced were compounded by the bad throws, slow reads, and bad descisions of a young Qb. You can't have your O-Line block 8 defenders all day. I think we are fooling ourselves on how rare a domiant Lt is in this league and we should be thankful for what we have. We won't upgrade a sup par QB but we want our LT to not just be great but be the best.
    one of the few passes i agree with you 100%.
    Its hard to protect your qb when you have 2 different guys coming right at you.
    Add to the fact that TJ takes a while to make his reads, AD and Shank are poor in pass blocking, and you can't really expect too much more out of our Line.
    We've got Youth and inexperience on the right side as well.
    I think Mac is essentially only good for run blocking. It is hard to see him moving quickly back to push off a defender that s bull rushing him. Often times the RB had to make a last ditch effort to block the DE making his way towards w/e qb we had in at the time.

But more over. I think an issue we are all ignoring is our situation at center. Matt Berk is the only one left from the 1998 season. Which means he has been play 10 plus years. (I want to say 12 total?) Is it time to pick a young C and have him trained for 1 or two more years. Or try to make a big time Hutch like deal? We have the opportunity with in the next two years to properly plan for when Berk leaves us. Instead of ending up in a situation like we have on the right side of the line, where everything is in the air.. We can plan and be prepared for the future. I love Berk, but we need to plan for when he's gone. And that's been my biggest concern for the O-Line. Remember back two years ago when he was injured. We need a quality center to anchor down the O-line.
    I think personally we'll draft a guy or get an undrafted FA to replace him.
    Look at the history of FA centres.
    ALl the ones who have lasted, are little known late to undrafted players, who were smart about the game.
    I don't see us making a blockbuster trade/signing for a Centre anytime soon.
    Quite Frankly, I don't think we can afford it.
    [/quote]

Do you see the C becoming a problem.. OR do you think the Vikes will properly plan for it?
    [/quote]

Its tough to say.
    I'm sure they will get a couple of C's for training camp this year and next year for when Birk retires.
    As to whether or not one of them will become the guy to turn to, its impossible to say.
    But i think the Vikes will at least attempt to plan for it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234