Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Today’s topic: Offensive line

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Vikings should take tackle with first pick[/size]

Published April 22, 2008 12:33 am

Bolstering the offensive line should be the Vikings’ next order of business.

Shane Frederick
    Free Press Staff Writer

A year ago, I argued that the Minnesota Vikings had a chance to draft the new face of the franchise.....
    Thanks for the read my friend.

You know, I started out liking this guy cause he admitted he was advocating taking someone other than AD and then he made this bone head statement.

Vikings fans often rave about the offensive line and the holes left guard Steve Hutchinson — the 17th overall pick in 2001, by the way — and company opened for Peterson and the league’s top rushing team. But the right side of the line never quite solidified, and the group allowed too many sacks, 38.
    Obviously he didn't do his homework.
    Sure the sacks came from that side but he sure the hell never watched any games if he believes AD/CT didnt' run effectively on the right side of the ball and didn't watch Herrera pull to help out in making holes on the left side.

Now he is just a yutz in my book unless he redacts his article.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

but you can't pretend that our right side is even close to solid.
    Sure, they're getting better, and have shows some good moments, but Cook still gets beat fairly often, moreso than I would like to see.

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    but you can't pretend that our right side is even close to solid.
    Sure, they're getting better, and have shows some good moments, but Cook still gets beat fairly often, moreso than I would like to see.
    Trust me my friend.
    I was all over the OL last year and I ain't pretending that they didn't have problems but I do like what I saw in Cook and Herrera.

Herrera can really pull and Cook was basically thrown to the wolves and faced some pretty damn good DE's last year that make vet RT's look like shit (i.e. Allen).

Trust me, I think both of them are keepers and will be solid this year.
    LT and C worry me more than our RG and RT my friend.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

No, it should be their first order of business. You always build the line first, then the skill positions if you want to be successful
    A good line with no skill plays nets you no wins as well. You build skills first. An OL can come in and play within a year. t typically takes skill players 2-3 years to reach their prime.
    The conventional wisdom always said it takes an O Line 3-4 years to truly gel as a unit.
    How has this changed?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

The only offensive line I've really ever used is, "Can I declare Jihad on your vagina?"
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"PacNWVike" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

No, it should be their first order of business. You always build the line first, then the skill positions if you want to be successful
    A good line with no skill plays nets you no wins as well. You build skills first. An OL can come in and play within a year. t typically takes skill players 2-3 years to reach their prime.
    The conventional wisdom always said it takes an O Line 3-4 years to truly gel as a unit.
    How has this changed?
    I agree, to learn our system a rookie would struggle his first year and possibly a bit his second. Cook for example.

I just don't see a guy coming in and performing at Joe Thomas levels this year even though this class has alot of good OT in it.

By bet is that if big MaC is jettisoned/suspended then Chase will have the inside tract at getting the nod at that position.
    2 years of tape, coaching in the system would seem to dictate that.

Of course you could think other wise just because he wasn't a top draft pick and isn't a household name.

A wise man once said.......Always remember and never forget.
    Just because you don't know his name don't mean he can't play ball.

Just look at all the hoop la la over a 4th round supplemental draft pick that was drafted to be a long snapper.
    ;D

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"C" wrote:
    The only offensive line I've really ever used is, "Can I declare Jihad on your vagina?"
    Hopefully you don't have I.E.D. tattooed on your Johnson.

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

Of course you have to have both to be competitive, but without some studs in the trenches, a team would not be able to do anything on offense or defense.
    That is why we just spent over 70 million on a DE.
    Since you admitted that an Olineman can come in and play within a year, are you ready to concede that BMac should be traded for some picks now?
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jkjuggalo" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

Of course you have to have both to be competitive, but without some studs in the trenches, a team would not be able to do anything on offense or defense.
    That is why we just spent over 70 million on a DE
    Since you admitted that an Olineman can come in and play within a year, are you ready to concede that BMac should be traded for some picks now?
    Not to mention the 150 million we spent in '06 on the OL at 2 positions.

If you get the skill players before the line all you end up with is injured and battered skill players.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"jkjuggalo" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

That is why we just spent over 70 million on a DE.
    Why would we trade our 2nd Best Line Man?
    Honestly, here are reason's we won't trade/ cut Mac...

His contract is too heavy for us to get rid of. He signed an extension in 2006 for 7 years. His contract was stacked with 17 million in guaranteed money. If we find the average, we are looking at 5 million already being given to him. That leave apprx 12 million still owed. If we cut him or trade him...we are still responsible for this....No we will not move him.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast