Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Three trade scenarios that could make Sense 4 Vike

Vikings give up: No. 12 overall pick and second-round selection (No. 43 overall)

Browns give up: No. 6 overall pick, fourth-round choice (No. 102 overall)

Buzz: If quarterback Blaine Gabbert falls out of the top five, the Vikings could make a move on a potential franchise quarterback while acquiring an additional fourth-round pick. Losing that second-rounder hurts, but the team could sleep well at night knowing it got a quarterback it desperately needs. And with two picks in each of the final four rounds, the Vikings could make another move to recoup a second- or third-round pick.
    Vikings give up: Second-round pick (No. 43 overall), fourth-round pick (No. 106 overall) and a fifth-round pick (No. 150 overall)
    Steelers give up: No. 31 overall pick

Buzz: Now with two first-round selections, the Vikings take Washington quarterback Jake Locker at No. 12 and Ohio State defensive end Cameron Heyward at No. 31. The Steelers have enough talent already on their roster that they might be one of the most willing trade partners.

Let's make a deal: Three trade scenarios that could make sense for Vikings

I didn't put the second one in here cause it was so stupid (used a compensatory pick in a trade. Any yutz knows you can't do that. Well, almost any yutz).
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Three trade scenarios that could make Sense 4 Vike

Don't know about that. I looked at the trade value chart, our first and second give us the #6 picks, almost enough for the #5. I don't know that we could get the #6 AND a pick back.

Also, I highly doubt two top quarterbacks fall past Carolina, Buffalo, Cincinnati and Arizona. Carolina MAY pass on QB, just since I don't believe either of those picks are worthy of a top spot. Maybe trade back, or take Peterson, shore up their defense, filling one of many holes and hope for a top-5 pick next year, since they do have alot of holes to fix. A QB would probably put them around top 15 pick next season, picking defense probably still keeps them in the hunt for a top 5 pick.

Cincy in all liklihood will take QB. I don't know much about Palmers lil' bro, I don't know if they think he might be the future of the team, but it's pretty much a given Carson won't be back. They need a QB badly. Then again, they need alot of positions badly.

Buffalo MIGHT pass on QB, they have Fitzpatrick, who has played some good games. I just can't see them doing it though. Keep Fitz as a backup, or even starter for half a season, groom Gabbert/Newton to be the future

Arizona almost certainly will choose QB if Gabbert or Newton is around, they'd be foolish not to.

All in all, it will be interesting to see how things play out.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Actually, here's our tradable picks and values:

1(12): 1200
    2(11): 470
    4(9): 84
    5(8): 38
    6(7): 24.6
    7(12): 9.8

Total value of 1926.4

If we were crazy, we could acquire the #4 pick with that.

our first two picks give us 1670, good enough for the #6 pick(1600), 30 shy of #5(1700)

The picks in question in that trade, are 1(6)(1600pts) and 4(5), (96pts)

Since our picks are worth 1670, we need 1696, it just doesn't work on paper.

now, I doubt GM's follow this, really at all. Maybe as a rough guideline, but they'll be willing to re-value their picks based on needs and what they think other teams are willing to give up for their picks.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1094646
    Don't know about that. I looked at the trade value chart, our first and second give us the #6 picks, almost enough for the #5. I don't know that we could get the #6 AND a pick back.

Also, I highly doubt two top quarterbacks fall past Carolina, Buffalo, Cincinnati and Arizona. Carolina MAY pass on QB, just since I don't believe either of those picks are worthy of a top spot. Maybe trade back, or take Peterson, shore up their defense, filling one of many holes and hope for a top-5 pick next year, since they do have alot of holes to fix. A QB would probably put them around top 15 pick next season, picking defense probably still keeps them in the hunt for a top 5 pick.

Cincy in all liklihood will take QB. I don't know much about Palmers lil' bro, I don't know if they think he might be the future of the team, but it's pretty much a given Carson won't be back. They need a QB badly. Then again, they need alot of positions badly.

Buffalo MIGHT pass on QB, they have Fitzpatrick, who has played some good games. I just can't see them doing it though. Keep Fitz as a backup, or even starter for half a season, groom Gabbert/Newton to be the future

Arizona almost certainly will choose QB if Gabbert or Newton is around, they'd be foolish not to.

All in all, it will be interesting to see how things play out.
    Its hard to say how some teams are gauging trade values and the value of the QB's in the draft, with the lockout and lack of player trades and free agency some teams may want to steering clear of the rookie QBs and want a vet. I would rather sit tight and take the bpa that can make an impact now in the first round because of the unknowns around mini camps and new OC. Then again if the Vikes are looking toward Kolb and end up in a bidding fenzy with a couple of other teams the Cutler deal a couple of years ago could look like it was a cheaper deal. I do think giving up more picks for a player in a year when the early development programs look to be hampered and due to a guys cost he may get rushed onto the field just has too many potholes down that road.

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

I don't like either of these scenarios... We have too many needs to give up all the picks in the first three rounds of the draft to gamble on one player, especially one like Gabbert. If any trading happens, we will be trading back.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

If they start to bundle picks to move up in this draft they need to have their heads examined.

We have so many holes to fill that we need all of the picks we can get plus some extraordinary luck to get this thing rebuilt. No way it happens if we start to throw picks away.

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler

I can't imagine a scenario worse than trading up to get Gabbert.