Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11
    jargomcfargo's Avatar
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,776

    Re: Three Players The Vikings Should Target in FA

    Damn fine post Marty. Your conclusion may be correct but unfortunately there is a flaw in your methodology.

    First and foremost, you are judging drafting success based on how many drafted players remain on a roster.
    A much better indication of drafting success would be how those drafted performed on the field. That would be tedious to track and compare.

    You see, your comparison to New England instantly runs into the basic problem of math.

    From your example I see the Vikings drafted 38 players and the Pats drafted 58.
    Vikes kept 30 and the Pats kept 31.

    The conclusion that jumps out at me is the fact the Vikes reach for draft picks and free agents that cost draft picks as compared to the Pats.
    This basic mathematical fact gives the Pats 50% more draft picks to evaluate and select from.
    Is it any wonder why they find young guys to plug into their system while teams like the Vikings are relying on free agent plug ins and band aids that more often than not, don't work out.

    I don't think our drafting is too bad compared to our free agent aquisition and trades.

    Evans,Kennedy,Shepherd, oh hell the list goes on and on.

    We have done well with Hutch and Allen but at a high price. But I think the Vikings are far worse at free agent aquisition than they are at drafting.
    But they need to improve both.

    GM anyone?
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

  2. #12
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Three Players The Vikings Should Target in FA

    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1100245
    Damn fine post Marty. Your conclusion may be correct but unfortunately there is a flaw in your methodology.

    First and foremost, you are judging drafting success based on how many drafted players remain on a roster.
    A much better indication of drafting success would be how those drafted performed on the field. That would be tedious to track and compare.

    You see, your comparison to New England instantly runs into the basic problem of math.

    From your example I see the Vikings drafted 38 players and the Pats drafted 58.
    Vikes kept 30 and the Pats kept 31.

    The conclusion that jumps out at me is the fact the Vikes reach for draft picks and free agents that cost draft picks as compared to the Pats.
    This basic mathematical fact gives the Pats 50% more draft picks to evaluate and select from.
    Is it any wonder why they find young guys to plug into their system while teams like the Vikings are relying on free agent plug ins and band aids that more often than not, don't work out.

    I don't think our drafting is too bad compared to our free agent aquisition and trades.

    Evans,Kennedy,Shepherd, oh hell the list goes on and on.

    We done well with Hutch and Allen but at a high price. But I think the Vikings are far worse at free agent aquisition than they are at drafting.
    But they need to improve both.

    GM anyone?
    Well put.

    Just moved you up a few "ROWS" in the ol' spreadsheet.

  3. #13
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Three Players The Vikings Should Target in FA

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1100236
    Bumping this for my good friend bleed. :P
    You obviously have never met the smarmy little Canucklehead.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  4. #14
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Three Players The Vikings Should Target in FA

    Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1100293
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1100236
    Bumping this for my good friend bleed. :P
    You obviously have never met the smarmy little Canucklehead.

    =Z=
    You're one of a handful here to have experienced that privilege.

  5. #15
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Three Players The Vikings Should Target in FA

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1100294
    Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1100293
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1100236
    Bumping this for my good friend bleed. :P
    You obviously have never met the smarmy little Canucklehead.
    You're one of a handful here to have experienced that privilege.
    Yes. I'm forever tainted.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  6. #16
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Three Players The Vikings Should Target in FA

    Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1100296
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1100294
    Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1100293
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1100236
    Bumping this for my good friend bleed. :P
    You obviously have never met the smarmy little Canucklehead.
    You're one of a handful here to have experienced that privilege.
    Yes. I'm forever tainted.

    =Z=
    what'd you say about taints?

  7. #17
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Three Players The Vikings Should Target in FA

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1100247
    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1100245
    Damn fine post Marty. Your conclusion may be correct but unfortunately there is a flaw in your methodology.

    First and foremost, you are judging drafting success based on how many drafted players remain on a roster.
    A much better indication of drafting success would be how those drafted performed on the field. That would be tedious to track and compare.

    You see, your comparison to New England instantly runs into the basic problem of math.

    From your example I see the Vikings drafted 38 players and the Pats drafted 58.
    Vikes kept 30 and the Pats kept 31.

    The conclusion that jumps out at me is the fact the Vikes reach for draft picks and free agents that cost draft picks as compared to the Pats.
    This basic mathematical fact gives the Pats 50% more draft picks to evaluate and select from.
    Is it any wonder why they find young guys to plug into their system while teams like the Vikings are relying on free agent plug ins and band aids that more often than not, don't work out.

    I don't think our drafting is too bad compared to our free agent aquisition and trades.

    Evans,Kennedy,Shepherd, oh hell the list goes on and on.

    We done well with Hutch and Allen but at a high price. But I think the Vikings are far worse at free agent aquisition than they are at drafting.
    But they need to improve both.

    GM anyone?
    Well put.

    Just moved you up a few "ROWS" in the ol' spreadsheet.
    +2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Vikings next WR target...
    By zakvikes2k in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 202
    Last Post: 03-07-2009, 02:01 PM
  2. Vikings could target DE, TE & perhaps a QB early in draft
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-11-2008, 03:59 PM
  3. Vikings target own free agents
    By Garland Greene in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-12-2008, 06:26 AM
  4. Draft Target!!
    By VikesfaninWis in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-16-2006, 07:35 AM
  5. Next target.....Ian Gold
    By Bulldog67 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-06-2004, 10:59 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •