Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Three Needs The Vikes Should Address

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Welcome to the site.
    Just wanted to point out that Edwards did not use steroids.
    He tested positive for a banned substance in April of 2006, which turned out to be a supplement that he was taking that was not on the approved list.
    Still not the right thing to do, but a far cry from using steroids...
    Depends on what the substance is, does anybody know?

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Says steroids policy on the net....

http://www.sportsbonehead.com/nfl/vikings-defensive-ray-edwards-suspended-steroid/

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3142614&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

jonnyb is offline Rookie

I agree with a previous poster.

DE
    S
    OL

If I were a betting man I'd say that is the order of our first three picks.

Although if there is a quality QB around in the second, such as a Brohm, Henne, or Flacco, it would not surprise me to see the old TOA take a flyer on one of those guys. They have yet to sign a vet, and Brooks is not an answer. No matter what anyone says, it is a big position of need. I would put it #2 behind DE. Jackson might work out; but he gets hurt, and he has been inconsistent in his reads and decision making. He needs to make substantial progress this year to be considered a QB of the future.

With that said I hope we draft as I predicted and Jackson stays healthy, continues to develop in his second full year as a starter (third year in the system), and takes advantage of a situation that has him poised for success.

purplepowered is offline Pro-Bowler

"jkjuggalo" wrote:
    I pretty much agree with you except for one thing, I think we still have a need at safety because as of now we have no depth at the position.
    Hopefully Williams brings some coverage skills that we have lacked for years now.
    Sharper is also getting older and we will have to replace him soon.

The O-line is actually my biggest concern at the moment.
    I'm afraid we might be overlooking our weakness as far as depth goes. If Hutch goes down, are best option is *gulp* Hicks.
    Same with BMac, who might get suspended for a few game right off the bat.
    IMO we must address the oline problems with a minimum of 2 picks or FAs.
    I don't know if Fabini or Shelton are still out there, but I wouldn't mind getting one of those guys for competition.
    And like you said, Birk is getting older and didn't play as well as he should have last year considering he was voted into the Pro-Bowl (proving the best players don't always make it to the Pro-Bowl).
    We need to find his heir apparent by the end of the fourth round, preferably third.
    Cook is a tackle at his size.
    I have not heard the coaching staff mention him becoming a center, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, nice post.
    Keep 'em coming and welcome.

That is scary!
    And we still need qb issue solved
    I am THE #1 Sidney Rice #18 Fan ever! Don't Be surprised when this kid IS a superstar! He is humble, smart, tough, talented and has alot of character! Takes alot of pride in his work, team, fans and life. Watch out for this kid! I think he is awesome! Everytime he touches the ball its MAGIC!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    Well I'm a bit scepticle of your opinion. But I do understand why you feel that way.

I'm not sold on McCauley or Griffin, but i do like Gordon.
    I think they will all be pretty good if we can find a pass rush. Unfortunately we need someone who can cover one on one so mwe can blitz without getting burned.
    So I like your idea of drafting a quality man coverage CB.

My personal belief is we only need a serviceable LDE through free agency( Scott would be my choice, despite his pisss poor attitude).
    I also feel Edwards and Robison platooned could be excellent RDE, providing we find a pass rushing DT.
    Think about the great Vikings pass rushing teams of the past, they all had great pass rushing Tackles. There's nothing more disruptive than a penetrating tackle.
    Page, Randle, Millard all made the ends into stars.
    We have 2 very good blitzing linebackers,. How good would this defense be with a pass rushing/penetrating tackle like Millard or Randle.
    It's blasphemy to say it, but what is great about stopping the run is a liability in stopping the pass.
    When I think about the great pass rushers in Vikings history I think of tackles not ends.
    Eller was great but Page was so quick he could penetrate the line before the linemen could get their hand off the ground.
    Millard and Randle were thye same way. They could also run over blockers.

I think the offensive line will be just fine if the quarterback and receivers are given plays that play to their strengths. Granted the QB needs to continue to develop. But I'm somewhat concerned about the limited playbook. Is that due to QB lack of experience or playcalling/game planning ineptitude?( that is a question that has bothered me for awhile).
    The offensive play calling needs to be intelligent and creative.
    There is a huge difference between a trick play and creative play calling.
    If a trick play is inserted to take advantage of a weakness, it is intelligent and creative.
    If it is inserted because you have nothing else to offer, it is an act of desperation.

So does this coaching staff have the ability to capitalize on it's assets?

The answer is two fold.

No matter what off season moves we make this year, we still lack talent!

The coaching staff isn't abundantly talented.But they appear to be learning.

However, both are improving.

I feel the Vikings are going to be pretty good this year and very good in the near future.

So any reservations aside, I'm pretty excited to be a Vikings fan right now.
    First, a very nice first post.
    Second, some very nice responses, especially this one.

Well done doc.
    By the way, in case I missed it, can you give us a blurb someplace on a sports Hernia?
    That damn thing is messing up my mock..... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

To stay with the theme, the 3 needs that need to be addressed are........

DE as a whole is a topic of much discussion that very few agree with me on.
    Some believe we can just plug any DE into that spot and he will do fine.
    I on the other hand think there are two critters when you talke DE and it even gets more complex when you break them down between a Base 4-3 and a Base 3-4 Defense.

Regardless, we had an issue last year getting any sort of consistent pressure from our edge rushers at the RDE position.
    Was that because of youth or because we don't have the talent.
    I am kindof leaning towards the "Youth" side and believe that our guys will be better from the experience they got last year.
    In fact I believe we will have a pretty good competition between Robison and Edwards as to who will be the starter and really like them as a team that will rotate.

With that said, I tend to believe that the staff will draft 2 DE's in this draft.
    One will be a edge kindof guy and the other will be a bigger sort of critter that can play LDE.

Biggest need.
    LDE.
    Mitchell is young and his ability to be a starter is in question by most fans.
    I am sure the front office won't force the coaching staff to play the whole season with one LDE.

Second biggest need.
    S.
    Sharp is getting up there and like it or not, is losing a few steps, not to mention the staff carried 5 Safties last year and we only have 3 signed.
    Probably gonna see a 2nd tier vet signed after the draft but I also believe they will try to fill the other position with a draft pick this year.
    Problem is this draft class as well as the FA market is kindof void of the S talent we need.

DT.
    Even though they just signed a DT/DE kindof guy, it was only for a 1 year contract so I think he is a bandaid fix until they can find a guy that will eventually replace Phat Pat.
    We really need to get some sort of push up the middle (huge part of our inability to get pressure on the QB issue).

As to the needs you addressed.

I like our CB's.
    You get some consistent pressure on the QB from your front 4 so our LB's can drop into thier passing zones and our CB's fit the bill for the style of defense we run.

OL wasn't that big of a concern on my sheet, however, with the advent of Big Mac's off field issue it now has elevated itself.
    Bet they take some sort of LT in the draft someplace and it might be earlier than some think.
    Dan Mozes seems to be the guy that has been tapped to be Birks replacement and he can also add depth at G as he waits to take over the job.
    I look to see the staff let Hicks go to make room for Mozes and M Johnson might go to make room for the rookie we draft this year.

Again, great post my friend.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"JerBearLuvsDaVikes" wrote:

http://www.sportsbonehead.com/nfl/vikings-defensive-ray-edwards-suspended-steroid/

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3142614&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines
    Lazy reporting by writers who can't be bothered to explain the difference between "steroids", "performance-enhancing drugs" and "banned substances".

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "JerBearLuvsDaVikes" wrote:

Lazy reporting by writers who can't be bothered to explain the difference between "steroids", "performance-enhancing drugs" and "banned substances".

=Z=
    Yup.
    The "Steroid" policy includes a lot of non-steroid things...

http://ww3.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1196
    The agent for Vikings defensive end Ray Edwards said in an e-mail that his client was suspended for four games by the NFL after he “took some workout supplements last February that he thought was OK under the [NFL] guidelines.”
    I bet if we search the PP.O pages from last December, we will find all sorts of information and links...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

The Vikings need DE, OL, and CB's.
    There is know doubt about that.
    But don't be fooled my friends.
    The 2008 Vikings are only going to go as far as Tarvaris Jackson can take them.
    The Vikings biggest concern should be getting an experienced qb that can come in and win games if TJack gets hurt or doesn't pan out.
    Who really wants to go into the season with Brooks Bollinger as our backup QB?
    We seen what he can do last year.
    He has no business being on an NFL team, never the less the backup quarterback.
    Without an experienced backup we could very well be looking at another 8-8 season.
    Childress is trying to make the fans believe that TJack is going to be a great quarterback.
    I hope he is right, but he has proven nothing to this point.
    If he fails, the Vikings fail.
    The Vikings need to get a backup quarterback other than Brooks Bollinger, plain and simple.

ragz is offline GM

"Marrdro" wrote:
    To stay with the theme, the 3 needs that need to be addressed are........

DE as a whole is a topic of much discussion that very few agree with me on.
    Some believe we can just plug any DE into that spot and he will do fine.
    I on the other hand think there are two critters when you talke DE and it even gets more complex when you break them down between a Base 4-3 and a Base 3-4 Defense.

Regardless, we had an issue last year getting any sort of consistent pressure from our edge rushers at the RDE position.
    Was that because of youth or because we don't have the talent.

I am kindof leaning towards the "Youth" side and believe that our guys will be better from the experience they got last year.
    In fact I believe we will have a pretty good competition between Robison and Edwards as to who will be the starter and really like them as a team that will rotate.

With that said, I tend to believe that the staff will draft 2 DE's in this draft.
    One will be a edge kindof guy and the other will be a bigger sort of critter that can play LDE.

Biggest need.
    LDE.
    Mitchell is young and his ability to be a starter is in question by most fans.
    I am sure the front office won't force the coaching staff to play the whole season with one LDE.

Second biggest need.
    S.
    Sharp is getting up there and like it or not, is losing a few steps, not to mention the staff carried 5 Safties last year and we only have 3 signed.
    Probably gonna see a 2nd tier vet signed after the draft but I also believe they will try to fill the other position with a draft pick this year.
    Problem is this draft class as well as the FA market is kindof void of the S talent we need.

DT.
    Even though they just signed a DT/DE kindof guy, it was only for a 1 year contract so I think he is a bandaid fix until they can find a guy that will eventually replace Phat Pat.
    We really need to get some sort of push up the middle (huge part of our inability to get pressure on the QB issue).

As to the needs you addressed.

I like our CB's.
    You get some consistent pressure on the QB from your front 4 so our LB's can drop into thier passing zones and our CB's fit the bill for the style of defense we run.

OL wasn't that big of a concern on my sheet, however, with the advent of Big Mac's off field issue it now has elevated itself.

Bet they take some sort of LT in the draft someplace and it might be earlier than some think.
    Dan Mozes seems to be the guy that has been tapped to be Birks replacement and he can also add depth at G as he waits to take over the job.
    I look to see the staff let Hicks go to make room for Mozes and M Johnson might go to make room for the rookie we draft this year.

Again, great post my friend.

marr, i dont think they can afford to let hicks or johnson go.
    i mean even if they drafted a guy early, if mckinnie is suspended we would have to throw that rookie in right away.
    also mozes is coming off an injury so i dont even know if the vikes have a good feel for what they really have in him.
    if what you say actually becomes fact and they cut one or both then offensive line is gonna be a much bigger focal point in the draft than just one lineman.

i seem to be one of few that really consider this a major concern.
    a big part of our 3-6 start was poor play from the line, and if you factor in mckinnie's stupidity and cooks erracticness then a strenght can become a weakness real quick.
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast