Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Willett is offline Waterboy

Three Needs The Vikes Should Address

With all the hype about our wide reciever situation, our quarterback situation, and all that other stuff, i believe that these are three needs that the vikings should address.

1) Cornerbacks - We have Winfield

Griffin

McCauley

Gordon
    does this combination really strike fear in the eyes of oppopsing recievers? No, teams have been passing all over us for a couple of years now. Granted that Winfield is a GREAT tackler, is he a #1 guy? What if he gets hurt? Thinking of going out on the field with Marcus and Cedric our 1 & 2 guys kinda scares me. - they're good, but i dont think they're good enough yet. - the vikes should definately look into getting another corner either with a trade, or free agency (i dont think anyone in the draft will be able to make that immediate impact) maybe we can use one of our picks as trade bait

2)Defensive End - We have Udeze (luekemia)

James (knee problems)

Edwards (steroids)

Robison (young but still pretty fing good)

Mitchell (Starter potential??)
    this is a need that has been expressed by many fans and viking analyzers. - our options are: use our first round draft pick, and get a free agent (i dont see us trading for one) we could resign darion scott (smokes too much pot) but he doesnt seem like a great player anyway

3)Offensive line - We have Mckinney (starter - great)

Hutchinson (starter - great)

Birk (starter - great)

Herrera (starter)

Cook (starter)

M Johnson

Hicks

C Johnson
    these guys did great last season - especially with the run. But how many years does Matt Birk have left? Isn't Cook his eventual replacement? if he is, then we need to find someone good to play right tackle.
    Marcus Johnson isn't gonna cut it. And Cook needs a lot more development to be even close to where matt is right now. - How many years Does Hutch have left? Can these guys perform as well as they did last year? - hopefully they will considering they wont be seeing nearly as much 8 in the box - 9 in the box - even 10 in the box formations, but i am a bit scepticle. Even though they performed well last year, Herrera and cook just dont seem like they are that great. (hopefully they will prove me wrong)

thanks for reading my opinion of our team needs, sorry if i forgot any names (the DE list goes pretty long) or if i made any other mistake. Remember, this is just an opinion.

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Three Needs The Vikes Should Address

I pretty much agree with you except for one thing, I think we still have a need at safety because as of now we have no depth at the position.
    Hopefully Williams brings some coverage skills that we have lacked for years now.
    Sharper is also getting older and we will have to replace him soon.

The O-line is actually my biggest concern at the moment.
    I'm afraid we might be overlooking our weakness as far as depth goes.
    If Hutch goes down, are best option is *gulp* Hicks.
    Same with BMac, who might get suspended for a few game right off the bat.
    IMO we must address the oline problems with a minimum of 2 picks or FAs.
    I don't know if Fabini or Shelton are still out there, but I wouldn't mind getting one of those guys for competition.
    And like you said, Birk is getting older and didn't play as well as he should have last year considering he was voted into the Pro-Bowl (proving the best players don't always make it to the Pro-Bowl).
    We need to find his heir apparent by the end of the fourth round, preferably third.
    Cook is a tackle at his size.
    I have not heard the coaching staff mention him becoming a center, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, nice post.
    Keep 'em coming and welcome.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

Well, you got two out of three: we need an LDE and a some offensive line support.

DE: If you look around the site, you'll see this position broken down in about 1.37 million different threads. The consensus seems to be (and count me in the consensus) that we're pretty much good to go at RDE with Edwards, Robison, and (maybe) James. However, at LDE we have Jayme Mitchell, and that's it. Obviously LDE is a big time need. Given that we already pursued this position in free agency and came up
    empty-handed, look for us two draft at least one DE to fill these roster spots.

OL: Birk may be something of a concern, but Cook is not his replacement and was never intended to be. I for one am perfectly happy with the play of the OL based on what the did at the end of the season. If I have any concerns here it's in McKinnie going the way of Pacman and Ron Mexico. Drafting for depth on the OL should be sufficient.

CB: Gonna have to disagree with a need here. Yes, McCauley and Griffin looked shaky at times last year, but overall I'm happy with their development. Also, we just picked up a CB in free agency that will be a special teamer as well as a backup (sorry, I already forgot his name, but it's floating around here somewhere). What I am far more worried about is safety. Sharper isn't getting any younger, and right now we are extremely thin for backups. I would be utterly shocked if safety isn't addressed in the draft, but I would be fine with our curret CB corps.

Welcome to the site!

"Willett" wrote:
    With all the hype about our wide reciever situation, our quarterback situation, and all that other stuff, i believe that these are three needs that the vikings should address.

1) Cornerbacks - We have Winfield

Griffin

McCauley

Gordon
    does this combination really strike fear in the eyes of oppopsing recievers? No, teams have been passing all over us for a couple of years now. Granted that Winfield is a GREAT tackler, is he a #1 guy? What if he gets hurt? Thinking of going out on the field with Marcus and Cedric our 1 & 2 guys kinda scares me. - they're good, but i dont think they're good enough yet. - the vikes should definately look into getting another corner either with a trade, or free agency (i dont think anyone in the draft will be able to make that immediate impact) maybe we can use one of our picks as trade bait

I personally think our CB's are pretty respectable.
    The key to their mediocre numbers was the non-existant pass rush.
    I know they TRIED to get to the QB on every down....but it just didnt happen.
    You let any NFL QB sit back and wait long enough....and his receivers will get open.
    A better pass rush and all of a sudden these CB's will be looking great!
    Just my 2 cents!
    Welcome aboard....SKOL!
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Well I'm a bit scepticle of your opinion. But I do understand why you feel that way.

I'm not sold on McCauley or Griffin, but i do like Gordon.
    I think they will all be pretty good if we can find a pass rush. Unfortunately we need someone who can cover one on one so mwe can blitz without getting burned.
    So I like your idea of drafting a quality man coverage CB.

My personal belief is we only need a serviceable LDE through free agency( Scott would be my choice, despite his pisss poor attitude).
    I also feel Edwards and Robison platooned could be excellent RDE, providing we find a pass rushing DT.
    Think about the great Vikings pass rushing teams of the past, they all had great pass rushing Tackles. There's nothing more disruptive than a penetrating tackle.
    Page, Randle, Millard all made the ends into stars.
    We have 2 very good blitzing linebackers,. How good would this defense be with a pass rushing/penetrating tackle like Millard or Randle.
    It's blasphemy to say it, but what is great about stopping the run is a liability in stopping the pass.
    When I think about the great pass rushers in Vikings history I think of tackles not ends.
    Eller was great but Page was so quick he could penetrate the line before the linemen could get their hand off the ground.
    Millard and Randle were thye same way. They could also run over blockers.

I think the offensive line will be just fine if the quarterback and receivers are given plays that play to their strengths. Granted the QB needs to continue to develop. But I'm somewhat concerned about the limited playbook. Is that due to QB lack of experience or playcalling/game planning ineptitude?( that is a question that has bothered me for awhile).
    The offensive play calling needs to be intelligent and creative.
    There is a huge difference between a trick play and creative play calling.
    If a trick play is inserted to take advantage of a weakness, it is intelligent and creative.
    If it is inserted because you have nothing else to offer, it is an act of desperation.

So does this coaching staff have the ability to capitalize on it's assets?

The answer is two fold.

No matter what off season moves we make this year, we still lack talent!

The coaching staff isn't abundantly talented.But they appear to be learning.

However, both are improving.

I feel the Vikings are going to be pretty good this year and very good in the near future.

So any reservations aside, I'm pretty excited to be a Vikings fan right now.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    Well I'm a bit scepticle of your opinion. But I do understand why you feel that way.

I'm not sold on McCauley or Griffin, but i do like Gordon.
    I think they will all be pretty good if we can find a pass rush. Unfortunately we need someone who can cover one on one so mwe can blitz without getting burned.
    So I like your idea of drafting a quality man coverage CB.

My personal belief is we only need a serviceable LDE through free agency( Scott would be my choice, despite his pisss poor attitude).
    I also feel Edwards and Robison platooned could be excellent RDE, providing we find a pass rushing DT.
    Think about the great Vikings pass rushing teams of the past, they all had great pass rushing Tackles. There's nothing more disruptive than a penetrating tackle.
    Page, Randle, Millard all made the ends into stars.
    We have 2 very good blitzing linebackers,. How good would this defense be with a pass rushing/penetrating tackle like Millard or Randle.
    It's blasphemy to say it, but what is great about stopping the run is a liability in stopping the pass.
    When I think about the great pass rushers in Vikings history I think of tackles not ends.
    Eller was great but Page was so quick he could penetrate the line before the linemen could get their hand off the ground.
    Millard and Randle were thye same way. They could also run over blockers.

I think the offensive line will be just fine if the quarterback and receivers are given plays that play to their strengths. Granted the QB needs to continue to develop. But I'm somewhat concerned about the limited playbook. Is that due to QB lack of experience or playcalling/game planning ineptitude?( that is a question that has bothered me for awhile).
    The offensive play calling needs to be intelligent and creative.
    There is a huge difference between a trick play and creative play calling.
    If a trick play is inserted to take advantage of a weakness, it is intelligent and creative.
    If it is inserted because you have nothing else to offer, it is an act of desperation.

So does this coaching staff have the ability to capitalize on it's assets?

The answer is two fold.

No matter what off season moves we make this year, we still lack talent!

The coaching staff isn't abundantly talented.But they appear to be learning.

However, both are improving.

I feel the Vikings are going to be pretty good this year and very good in the near future.

So any reservations aside, I'm pretty excited to be a Vikings fan right now.
    Great post. I especially appreciate the part about Millard, Randle and Eller. Those guys always bring back fond memories.

ragz is offline GM

i think its more like

1.DEFENSIVE END
    2.SAFETY
    3.OFFENSIVE LINE
    4.BACKUP QB

a penetrating defensive tackle would be nice and all but there ain't a whole lot of those guys around, as opposed to defensive ends who create havoc.
    there is no doubt if we have had any consistent edge rush the last couple of years we would not have been last in pass defense.
    i think alot of teams around the league would love to have the williams as the middle of their line, so i'll consider that a strenght.

safety is too thin now.
    we probably address in the draft(though it's apparently weak there).
    if sharper or williams goes down, frampton is our only backup right now.

we can not dismiss mckinnies off field problem, and to be honest his lack of progession.
    at this point of his career he should have developed into a dominant bookend.
    he hasn't and may never and then when you factor in that cook was and probably still is a project at right tackle it cannot be ignored.
    so if mckinnie is suspended or cook just sucks, what then?
    artis hicks?
    ugh

and backup qb is obvious.
    0-4 last year by the backups, the difference between playoffs and sitting home.
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the site.
    Just wanted to point out that Edwards did not use steroids.
    He tested positive for a banned substance in April of 2006, which turned out to be a supplement that he was taking that was not on the approved list.
    Still not the right thing to do, but a far cry from using steroids...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

x-ray jeff is offline Coordinator

[/quote]

Great post. I especially appreciate the part about Millard, Randle and Eller. Those guys always bring back fond memories.
    [/quote]
    Henry Thomas came to mind when reading this- I remember how he would line up kinda sideways and jump between the guard and center before they could get their hands on him.

Yeah, but if you're ranking them in order, DE has to be the top need because our DE's couldn't get to the QB if I was playing on the O-Line. Which than leads to WR's having plenty of time to get open and the QB gets a minute to find the most open receiver and that makes our CB's look bad when it's not really their fault. I also think our run defense is good and teams realize after trying to run on us ohhhh say 3 times they aren't going to win that way, they just pass pass pass....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast