Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Is there anyone in the draft you would be happy if we traded up and got

Only if we trade McKinnie for either of the Longs or Gholston.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

one of the longs

ragz is offline GM

i dont see it.
    we dont have enough or wouldnt give up enough to get into the top 10 and then after that is anyone really worth moving up a few spots to get?
    at defensive end and wr, if thats where we go they kinda get clumped up together.
    if we address some needs in free agency we can literally take the best player on our board at 17 no matter what position, which is kinda exciting just cuz it won't be a guy who has to play no matter what but a guy that plays cuz he earned it.
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "tgorsegner" wrote:
    I wouldnt mind it at all if the staff trades up a couple spots in the first to grab a guy they think won't fall. After that, I bet they will maneuver shrewdly and either trade atleast one down or up.
    I hope we won't trade down, we already have 8 or 9 picks( do w ehave a 6th)
    Why not go after the creme de la creme of the draft with them.
    I much rather have the premeire pass rusher in the draft than two 3rd rounders that may not trun into starters in various positions.
    We do have a 6th round pick

We have a 1, 2, 3a, 3b, 4, 5, 6 (Twill), and a 7.

Couple of things out of a article I just read this morning about how important the draft is with respect to "Building" a roster....

Giants
    Of the 22 starters on this team 18 were drafted. (3 were former 1rst round picks).
    Seven were 2nd rounders
    one was a third
    three were 4th rounders
    three were 5th rounders
    one was a 7th rounder
    4 were undrafted.

Pats
    8 were 1rst rounders
    1 was a 2nd rounder
    5 were 3rd third rounders
    2 were 4th rounders
    2 were 5th rounders
    2 were 6th
    2 were undrafted

Although most casual fans would love the idea (and more importantly the hype associated with doing it) of moving up and making the big trade (ala the Saints and Ricky), it just doesn't make sound football sense to mortgage the bank and move up in the first round into the top 10 picks or so.

It just costs the team way to much with respect to the building blocks of the team when one looks at it and realiazes that although the draft is a crap shoot, it isn't that much of a crap shoot if a team has a effective scouting program and a BUTT LOAD of draft picks to take shots at players.

I believe Spielman (from our very little history of him as a Vike) will move around in the draft, but it will be in the later rounds 2-7 to get players they have targeted and believe someone else ahead of them will take (move up) as well as move down if they think a guy is gonna be there and another team wants to move up to get a player they are targeting.

By the way, Spielmans moving down last year and still getting players they wanted are the reason we are sitting pretty good with respect to picks this year.
    Can you imagine were we would be if we wouldn't have given up a pick for Holcomb?

Long story short......
    NO ONE IS WORTH MOVING UP THAT HIGH.

Draft picks, the building blocks of a team.
    They ensure a team always has a future. Something us Vikings fans haven't had for a long long long time my friends.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Maybe Caldwell, Kelly, Phillips or Henderson.. Maybe Jacob Hester..

I really like all of those guys..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

I hope we get either Kenny Phillips or a solid DE...

On another note: I know Dennis Dixon has a knee injury (ACL I believe) but if we could pick him up in a late round (possibly even undrafted... not sure where he stands)... I'd like to see him in a Vikings uniform.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

jake long. good offensive tackles seem to be few and far between in the nfl draft. mckinnie is a good left tackle,(not great) so long could play on the right side for a yr or two and shift over to the left and solidify that for a long time. that could also make our right side better for now.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

ragz is offline GM

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "tgorsegner" wrote:
    I wouldnt mind it at all if the staff trades up a couple spots in the first to grab a guy they think won't fall. After that, I bet they will maneuver shrewdly and either trade atleast one down or up.
    I much rather have the premeire pass rusher in the draft than two 3rd rounders that may not trun into starters in various positions.

Couple of things out of a article I just read this morning about how important the draft is with respect to "Building" a roster....

Giants
    Of the 22 starters on this team 18 were drafted. (3 were former 1rst round picks).
    Seven were 2nd rounders
    one was a third
    three were 4th rounders
    three were 5th rounders
    one was a 7th rounder
    4 were undrafted.

Pats
    8 were 1rst rounders
    1 was a 2nd rounder
    2 were 4th rounders
    2 were 5th rounders
    2 were 6th
    2 were undrafted

Although most casual fans would love the idea (and more importantly the hype associated with doing it) of moving up and making the big trade (ala the Saints and Ricky), it just doesn't make sound football sense to mortgage the bank and move up in the first round into the top 10 picks or so.

It just costs the team way to much with respect to the building blocks of the team when one looks at it and realiazes that although the draft is a crap shoot, it isn't that much of a crap shoot if a team has a effective scouting program and a BUTT LOAD of draft picks to take shots at players.

I believe Spielman (from our very little history of him as a Vike) will move around in the draft, but it will be in the later rounds 2-7 to get players they have targeted and believe someone else ahead of them will take (move up) as well as move down if they think a guy is gonna be there and another team wants to move up to get a player they are targeting.

By the way, Spielmans moving down last year and still getting players they wanted are the reason we are sitting pretty good with respect to picks this year.
    Can you imagine were we would be if we wouldn't have given up a pick for Holcomb?

Long story short......

They ensure a team always has a future. Something us Vikings fans haven't had for a long long long time my friends.

agreed, totally.
    if we've learned anything from our past 1st round picks recently, nothing is a sure thing, so i'd prefer quantity as opposed to suspected quality.
    moving up and down in later rounds don't cost you as much if you even have to do so, so to me they should stay put cuz i dont see any reason to be overly agressive.

mckinnie hasn't exactly done us any favors cuz now o-line becomes something you have to look at more closely.
    i assume hes almost assuredly going to get suspended, but it's also his 2nd incident, and though he did get his shit together particularly in the 2nd half of last year, he has been mostly inconsistent.
    that's why a level headed aggressiveness towards free agency would allow us to just take the best guy at 17th instead of trying to fill a hole right away.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"ragz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "tgorsegner" wrote:

Giants
    Seven were 2nd rounders
    one was a third
    three were 4th rounders
    three were 5th rounders
    one was a 7th rounder
    4 were undrafted.

Pats
    8 were 1rst rounders
    1 was a 2nd rounder
    2 were 4th rounders
    2 were 5th rounders
    2 were 6th
    2 were undrafted

Long story short......

agreed, totally.
    if we've learned anything from our past 1st round picks recently, nothing is a sure thing, so i'd prefer quantity as opposed to suspected quality.
    moving up and down in later rounds don't cost you as much if you even have to do so, so to me they should stay put cuz i dont see any reason to be overly agressive.

mckinnie hasn't exactly done us any favors cuz now o-line becomes something you have to look at more closely.
    i assume hes almost assuredly going to get suspended, but it's also his 2nd incident, and though he did get his shit together particularly in the 2nd half of last year, he has been mostly inconsistent.
    that's why a level headed aggressiveness towards free agency would allow us to just take the best guy at 17th instead of trying to fill a hole right away.
    Except for Reggie Bush and Brady Quinn right?

ragz is offline GM

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "ragz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "tgorsegner" wrote:

Giants
    Seven were 2nd rounders
    one was a third
    three were 4th rounders
    three were 5th rounders
    one was a 7th rounder
    4 were undrafted.

Pats
    8 were 1rst rounders
    1 was a 2nd rounder
    2 were 4th rounders
    2 were 5th rounders
    2 were 6th
    2 were undrafted

Long story short......

agreed, totally.

i assume hes almost assuredly going to get suspended, but it's also his 2nd incident, and though he did get his pooh together particularly in the 2nd half of last year, he has been mostly inconsistent.
    Except for Reggie Bush and Brady Quinn right?
    ha ha, exactly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast