Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Theories/Ideas on a 3-4 Defense

Rockmolder wrote:
    V-Unit wrote:
    It's a terrible idea. I don't think we have a single defensive starter that would be better off in a 3-4.

-V-
    Maybe your ILBs would. Henderson and Leber would make a very interesting duo in the middle. It'd be interesting to see what they would do with Greenway. Turn him into an ILB, as well, or put him at OLB, seeing that he can rush the passer, and just let him take on a Spencer/Phillips role.

But like you said, it's a bad idea.

You have the foundations of a good defense in place. A dominating D-line. There's no reason to mess with that. Allen, like Kampman, would fail in the 3-4, I think.

Pat is gone soon, he'd be your only NT right now. The rest is undersized.

Kevin might benefit if he gets into a system that lets the DE/DTs rush the passer, instead of playing to hold their point. Just look at Cullen Jenkins, I think he was one of our best players already, and he's only gotten better this year.
    Meh, our LBs currently benefit from the advantage of playing behind two all-pro run-stuffing DTs. They eat up blockers and allow the LBs to make plays. I can't imagine that removing a DT would help them. Our LBs play the run first as is.

Kevin has free rain to rush the passer as is, and he is pretty good at it. 6 sacks for a DT is pretty solid. I don't think a situation in which he was surrounded by less efficient pass rushers (Allen at OLB) and saw more double teams would be beneficial for him.

-V-
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

This might be the single most terrible idea in the history of this site.

We do not have enough linebackers and would need to bring in too many.
    We have too many d-linemen who are too big to stand up and try to cover in space or are too damn good.

Specifically, Allen and Edwards are too good to stand up and would struggle. Kevin too small to be middle. And then do not forget about all of our great players who come off the bench. Robinson, Kennedy, and Evans are 4-3 interior linemen. I guess you could play with it a bit, but too many good players for not enough spots.
    Linebackers... We barely have two starting LBs, let alone 4 of them.

And why the hell would we change one of the most dominating defensives from the past decade to a scheme that we have no players that would fit into it?
    We're bringing purple back.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Don't be too hard on the guy, it was just an idea.
    Not saying I agree with the idea whatsoever, but people are jumping down his throat a little much.

Much better idea would be to swing a deal for Vince Wilfork if Pat does retire and roll with Ray Edwards and Robison at the other end.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Edwards and Robison would make crappy 3-4 DE's. Normally they'd have to be 290+lbs and stronger, not pass rushers like Robison and Edwards are. As well, waht do we do with Allen and Kevin Williams?

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Edwards and Robison would make crappy 3-4 DE's. Normally they'd have to be 290+lbs and stronger, not pass rushers like Robison and Edwards are. As well, waht do we do with Allen and Kevin Williams?
    OLB and DE, most likely. Kevin Williams would be great. It's doubtfull that Allen will be.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Kevin Williams played DE in the 3-4 for a while when Cottrell was DC here. He said he hated it and hoped he never had to do it again.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

dfosterf is offline Coach

Not only do I think that the 3-4 is not a good option for the Vikings, I also think that Julius Peppers is a terrible fit for the Packers.

We are still trying to figure out how exactly to handle our Kampy situation. The man can't play in space. I love him, but he sucks as an OLB in coverage, notwithstanding some folks opinion that he was "getting it" prior to getting hurt. Just because Peppers wants to play in a 3-4, well, that doesn't make him good at it, now does it?

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

dfosterf wrote:
    ...Just because Peppers wants to play in a 3-4, well, that doesn't make him good at it, now does it?
    We all want to be NFL HCs and we are all experts at it, so, yes, if he wants to be he will be good at it.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

dfosterf is offline Coach

Prophet wrote:
    dfosterf wrote:
    ...Just because Peppers wants to play in a 3-4, well, that doesn't make him good at it, now does it?
    We all want to be NFL HCs and we are all experts at it, so, yes, if he wants to be he will be good at it.
    Well, speak for yourself, sir. While you got the expert part right, I have zero interest in being an NFL head coach.

I'm already an NFL General Manager, why the hell would I want a demotion? :P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12