Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amoren is offline Waterboy

Theories/Ideas on a 3-4 Defense

I've been doing some back and forth FA discussing with a packer friend of mine and he brought up Peppers as being a big need for GB. I have been afraid that big ole pat is going to retire lately(he is my fav player on defense by far, not seeing his big buddah belly jiggling as he chases down people would be very sad), and wondered what our defense could look like as a 3-4 if we picked up peppers.

M. Williams A. Winfield

C. Griffin B.Sapp

B. Leber J. Brinkley E. Henderson C. Greenway

J. Allen K. Williams J. Peppers

I Think that would be a freakin sweet defense, assuming the players could adjust to a new scheme. Comments/Thoughts?

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Re: Theories/Ideas on a 3-4 Defense

off topic to that: that phat pat can run that damn fast defies physics. I love watching him thunder down on someone!

Re:Theories/Ideas on a 3-4 Defense

Amoren wrote:
    I've been doing some back and forth FA discussing with a packer friend of mine and he brought up Peppers as being a big need for GB. I have been afraid that big ole pat is going to retire lately(he is my fav player on defense by far, not seeing his big buddah belly jiggling as he chases down people would be very sad), and wondered what our defense could look like as a 3-4 if we picked up peppers.

M. Williams A. Winfield

C. Griffin B.Sapp

I Think that would be a freakin sweet defense, assuming the players could adjust to a new scheme. Comments/Thoughts?
    While on paper it looks fantastic. It wouldn't be.

Part of what makes Allen and Peppers so effective is the fact that they get to rush a line that has to block four front men.

That is why most 3-4 defenses sack artists come from the LB spot and I don't think either of these guys would be that suited for that.

Also, Williams is a dominant force in the 4-3, but is probably a little small to cause the same problems in a 3-4.

Our LB depth is not quite there, and your secondary has to be very opportunistic in a 3-4, something ours is not.

Switching to a 3-4 is a COMPLETE overhaul for the most part. Normally requires a change of at least 3 or 4 players just to consider it.
    None

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Midge Resurrected wrote:
    Amoren wrote:

M. Williams A. Winfield

C. Griffin B.Sapp

While on paper it looks fantastic. It wouldn't be.

Part of what makes Allen and Peppers so effective is the fact that they get to rush a line that has to block four front men.

That is why most 3-4 defenses sack artists come from the LB spot and I don't think either of these guys would be that suited for that.

Also, Williams is a dominant force in the 4-3, but is probably a little small to cause the same problems in a 3-4.

Our LB depth is not quite there, and your secondary has to be very opportunistic in a 3-4, something ours is not.

Switching to a 3-4 is a COMPLETE overhaul for the most part. Normally requires a change of at least 3 or 4 players just to consider it.
    Winfield is too old, small, and possibly slow to switch to safety now.

Kevin Williams would be a 3-4 DE, and a damn good one. Allen and Peppers couldn't do it. 3-4 DEs are typically DT/DE tweeners who bulk up, like Richard Seymour.

We'd need a guy who can put his hand in the dirt and rush the passer from the OLB spot, while Greenway is big and athletic, he's not that type of guy, Leber would be even worse.

Benny Sapp is too small to play man on the corners, which 3-4s are forced too more frequently. We'd be fine at MLB.

I think it's a pretty bad idea, we don't have the personnel for it. We'd be better off staying in a 4-3 and play man at the second and third level. Our linebackers are athletic enough to do it. And that would leave us a backer to blitz on most downs.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

Amoren wrote:

M. Williams A. Winfield

C. Griffin B.Sapp

Not with our personnel.

Pat could have been that NT, Kevin is not (beyond the statements he's made about hating the stint in the 3-4 a few years back). If we somehow GOT Peppers, it would be worthless to waste him and Allen as DE's on the 3-4. As another poster stated, the sacks come from the LBs in a 3-4 while the linemen tend to "eat up" blocks. (See Kampman's success in the 3-4..... and he went to OLB).

From the perspective of safeties, I wouldn't expect much of a difference. I don't know enough about how our LBs would stack up in a 3-4, so I'll leave that alone. I do have some knowledge of how it works on the DL.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

If it aint broke don't fix it.

Our rushing defense has been consistantly amongst the best in the league, I wouldn't want to screw that up, even if it helped in the passing game. I think the Vikes can change things up a bit from time to time. If they switched to a 3-4 in certain situations that would be fine. No need to start over on defense.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

No way in hell we run a 3-4. We simply have the wrong personell

If pat leaves, no chance in hell.

Currently, assuming EJ comes back, it would have to go:

Greenway EJ Leber Allen
    Edwards Pat Kevin

and even then, Edwards is no 3-4 DE. Allen will probably be about as useful as Kampman, likely even less so, since he's not especially great against the run. EJ likely won't be back to 100% ever, I just don't think we can do it wihtout massive changes.

Packers made it easy, they had a big DT, they drafted Raji, they have the line. Their LB's are all fast playmakers which you need for hte 3-4. EJ and Leber don't exactly scream athleticism.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

It's a terrible idea. I don't think we have a single defensive starter that would be better off in a 3-4.

-V-
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

V-Unit wrote:
    It's a terrible idea. I don't think we have a single defensive starter that would be better off in a 3-4.

-V-
    Maybe your ILBs would. Henderson and Leber would make a very interesting duo in the middle. It'd be interesting to see what they would do with Greenway. Turn him into an ILB, as well, or put him at OLB, seeing that he can rush the passer, and just let him take on a Spencer/Phillips role.

But like you said, it's a bad idea.

You have the foundations of a good defense in place. A dominating D-line. There's no reason to mess with that. Allen, like Kampman, would fail in the 3-4, I think.

Pat is gone soon, he'd be your only NT right now. The rest is undersized.

Kevin might benefit if he gets into a system that lets the DE/DTs rush the passer, instead of playing to hold their point. Just look at Cullen Jenkins, I think he was one of our best players already, and he's only gotten better this year.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Kevin's gotta be pushing 320. He's listed as 311, no way in thell thats right. Pat's only 317 (again, not a chance)
    I don't think Kevin woudl be the ideal NT in a 3-4 scheme, but he wouldn't be bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast