Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Re: Ten Essentials for an NFL QB

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    Gee, I bet Ryan Leaf had massive hands, and Joe Montana didn't... :

I think arm strength is overrated. Joe Montana and Rich Gannon didn't have great arm strength.

The point "Football IQ" to me covers it all. Steve Young said that being an NFL QB is 95 % cerebral.

Troy Aikman said that accuracy and toughness are the most important aspects.

I personally think that the following are important, listed in descending order, in terms of importance:

1. Understanding of modern NFL defenses and ability to see and read the coverage
    2. Leadership
    3. Accuracy
    4. Decision-making
    5. "Field generalship" (i.e. knowing when taking a sack is not that bad, and when it is. Knowing when to throw the ball out of bounds). Not throwing stupid interceptions.
    6. Being able to go through the progressions. (not panicking when the primay receiver is covered, etc.)
    7. Toughness
    8. Intelligence

I don't think "hand size" makes any difference at all. Was that a joke ?
    No, not a joke at all...but there is a reason why hand size was listed at #10...because it is probably the LEAST IMPORTANT of the attributes that they look for.
    They measure hand size on QBs and WRs (maybe others too, I don't remember) at the NFL combine, so it has some credibility in the NFL as a legitimate measurement that carries value for some teams.

By pay of comparison, Booty has 8 1/2 inch hands, while Brett Favre has 10 3/8 inch hands.
    They claim that it helps QBs most in cold weather games to hold onto the ball...as well as being able to grip the ball more in the middle as opposed to one end or the other.

So, NO...it's not a joke to some...although the Vikes seem not to care much, as they drafted Culpepper in the past despite his small hands (between 9 and 9 1/2, I think) and just drafted Booty (8 1/2, as I mentioned earlier).
    Damn!
    8.5 IS small!
    I consider myself to have small hands (in relation to NFL caliber QBs) and my hands are bigger than that.
    I have noticed that when I am throwing a football, I do tend to grip the ball closer to the backside, then in the middle where the laces are at.
    I could see this posing potential issues at the NFL level...not to say he can't be sucessful because of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see this present itself if/when he gets his shot.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    Gee, I bet Ryan Leaf had massive hands, and Joe Montana didn't... :

I think arm strength is overrated. Joe Montana and Rich Gannon didn't have great arm strength.

The point "Football IQ" to me covers it all. Steve Young said that being an NFL QB is 95 % cerebral.

Troy Aikman said that accuracy and toughness are the most important aspects.

I personally think that the following are important, listed in descending order, in terms of importance:

1. Understanding of modern NFL defenses and ability to see and read the coverage
    2. Leadership
    3. Accuracy
    4. Decision-making
    5. "Field generalship" (i.e. knowing when taking a sack is not that bad, and when it is. Knowing when to throw the ball out of bounds). Not throwing stupid interceptions.
    6. Being able to go through the progressions. (not panicking when the primay receiver is covered, etc.)
    7. Toughness
    8. Intelligence

I don't think "hand size" makes any difference at all. Was that a joke ?
    No, not a joke at all...but there is a reason why hand size was listed at #10...because it is probably the LEAST IMPORTANT of the attributes that they look for.
    They measure hand size on QBs and WRs (maybe others too, I don't remember) at the NFL combine, so it has some credibility in the NFL as a legitimate measurement that carries value for some teams.

By pay of comparison, Booty has 8 1/2 inch hands, while Brett Favre has 10 3/8 inch hands.
    They claim that it helps QBs most in cold weather games to hold onto the ball...as well as being able to grip the ball more in the middle as opposed to one end or the other.

So, NO...it's not a joke to some...although the Vikes seem not to care much, as they drafted Culpepper in the past despite his small hands (between 9 and 9 1/2, I think) and just drafted Booty (8 1/2, as I mentioned earlier).
    gol 'darnit!
    8.5 IS small!
    I consider myself to have small hands (in relation to NFL caliber QBs) and my hands are bigger than that.
    I have noticed that when I am throwing a football, I do tend to grip the ball closer to the backside, then in the middle where the laces are at.
    I could see this posing potential issues at the NFL level...not to say he can't be sucessful because of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see this present itself if/when he gets his shot.
    The Favre article:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=290882

The QBs in this draft:

http://walterfootball.com/combine2008QB.php

The highest number for hand size amongst these guys was 9 3/4.
    Doesn't seem that impressive to me.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

Found a video of JD Booty when he was still in college.
    Let's just say this video shows why he doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL QB.

[youtube=425,350]SltqvE0b9uo[/youtube]
    ;D

Rock out with your cock out!!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"StillPurple" wrote:

I don't think "hand size" makes any difference at all. Was that a joke?
    Absolutely not. I thought you said you were a Vikings fan? If you are, then you haven't watched to many Vikings games. Culpeppers small hands is what caused him to lose the ball so much.

Hell, his small hand size being the cause of his fumbles was brought up in televised games so frequently that to even the casual fan it is common knowledge.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12