singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Team will let Chavous test the market

[size=18px]Team will let Chavous test the market[/size]

Free agent strong safety Corey Chavous said he'd welcome a return to the Vikings under new coach Brad Childress and defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin.

Mark Craig, Star Tribune
    Last update: March 05, 2006 – 11:53 PM

Free agent strong safety Corey Chavous said he'd welcome a return to the Vikings under new coach Brad Childress and defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin.

"The team is going in a positive direction," said Chavous, a starter for the Vikings the past four seasons. "Coach Childress has hired good, young coaches who have come from successful organizations and schemes. I haven't had any contact with Coach Childress, but I'd never rule out coming back to Minnesota."

Although Chavous remains an option at strong safety, the Vikings are letting him test the market while they shop for a younger upgrade at the position. Chavous, who is entering his ninth season, turned 30 last month. His backup, Willie Offord, 27, was re-signed last week.

Chavous backs union

Chavous, who was the Vikings' union rep last season, said he supports the union, even though the lack of a collective bargaining agreement means the salary cap is $10 million or more lower than it would be if there were an extension. A smaller salary cap significantly affects the free-agent market for an older veteran.

"I don't look at how it affects me individually," Chavous said. "I think if we do that as players, we lose. Everybody would like more cap room this year, but we also have to think about the players who will benefit greatly next year when there isn't a salary cap."

Agent denies report

Vann McElroy, the agent for Chargers free-agent outside linebacker Ben Leber, denied reports that his client and the Vikings have agreed in principle on a contract.

"Not only haven't we agreed, we haven't even talked," McElroy said.

Teams are not allowed to contact impending free agents before the start of free agency.

Uneasy times

Negotiations between the league and its players union have been difficult for players who are on the verge of free agency or being released for salary cap reasons. The deadlines and extensions have added to the stress level, said agent Joe Linta.

"It's like when the witch on the 'Wizard of Oz' turns over the hourglass," Linta said. "We're all sitting there waiting for the witch to turn over that hourglass."

Etc.

• The Vikings are believed to have some interest in Bengals free-agent tight end Matt Schobel. Schobel, 27, caught 18 passes for 193 yards and a touchdown in 2005.

• Talks between the Vikings and Linta concerning renegotiated deals for offensive tackle Mike Rosenthal and center Matt Birk are on hold for at least a couple of days, Linta said on Sunday.

Team will let Chavous test the market

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Team will let Chavous test the market

the Vikings are letting him test the market while they shop for a younger upgrade at the position.

Does anyone know who in particular they are shopping for?

I'd like to see Corey remain with the team, along with Offord.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Big C is offline Coordinator

We already have Dustin Fox at safety and possibly B Will (since we're holding on to him) besides Offord. I think this is just posturing for Chavous to test free agency and come back to us. We might draft an SS in a later round but think Chavous will still be back with us.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I am cool with this as long as we getetter value than chavous in fa. Someone younger in thebdraft might help... anyways... chavous did well last year but we can live without him.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

I still want to draft Huff in the first round to play SS for us. I think he fits the mold of a fluid athletic good cover safety for our new defensive scheme.

With his showing at the combine he could very well be the first DB off the board.

Either way i like drafting a young safety sometime in the draft that fits our scheme, letting offord and him battle it out in camp.

There's a couple other options in FA, the guy from washington is intriging, maybe an option.

SheyD11285 is offline Rookie

Seriously he could be our Ed Reed. I want us to grab a playmaker in the draft and three in free agency. Look at the impact of Sean Taylor(besides the legal problems) and Ed Reed, Roy Williams. They help solidify defenses and take them to another level. I'm all for Huff.

SheyD11285 is offline Rookie

Although I still really like Chavous

Hawgski is offline Pro-Bowler

I would like him to stay too (otherwise I will have to buy another jersey....again.).

If not, whoever replaces him better be an upgrade.

sig courtesy of PPE

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

Better be an upgrade indeed I really like chavous

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will