Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Team Needs (Pre Draft/FA Period)

You'd love for us to use our third draft on a Kicker LOL!

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

All right, here's some thots for ya Marr Starting with da local Doncos:

Fox also said he would "pencil in" Ayers at the left defensive end spot at the moment. Before the 2009 draft Fox worked out Ayers as a left defensive end with Carolina Ayers had played end at Tennessee before being switched to outside linebacker after the Broncos had selected him with the 18th pick.
    So, it isn't a surprise Fox has been confident within the walls of the Dove Valley complex in recent weeks that Ayers will be able to make the move and be a productive player.
    But it's also important for folks to know that when it comes to the draft, Fox is a best-player-available guy. That means no matter who the Broncos have on their roster or how the depth chart looks, Fox believes a team should simply draft the best player available.
    So, with Dumervil (17 sacks in 09) coming back on the right, I'd say DE is set. However, the Broncos defense has been last or near it vs. the run for many, many years, what they really, truly need is a DT. My bet (and hope as a part-time Broncos fan-I call them "my AFC team") is that they pick Fairly or Dareus. Of course, I'd love if Dareus fell to da Vikes!! I just don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell of that happening after his combine showing!

They could also go with Peterson at CB. They've got Champ and play vs. Asomugha twice a year, so know the value of a shutdown corner. Champ is slowing down a bit, so it would set them up for the future too. And, his return skills just might make him BPA in their eyes...?

Some other random thoughts...

I am getting the feeling that CIN is leaning toward QB, cuz Palmer seems serious about leaving, and there's been lots of talk of them looking at QBs.

From what I'm hearing from CLE fans (yes, there are some!) is that Colt McCoy is their guy, so scratch QB. They've had bad luck in the past drafting playmakers for the O early, so they've all been traded away. IF Green is there, I think he's the pick...maybe, even Julio. Their Defense and running game are actually better than advertised. But, with the release of Rogers, perhaps, they nab whichever of the top two DTs falls to them.

I think DAL might be a candidate for moving back. Like us, they need OL help and that seems to be slipping this year.

ARI, SF, TEN, and WAS totally need a QB on around the same level we do...we can't all get lucky in the 2nd! I mean really, can you even imagine Shanahanagains starting Grossman without the future on the bench!? This position will be more interesting in this year's draft than it has been in years! Not just from our need standpoint, but the sheer number of tall, prototypical size passers coming out, the number of teams with the need in todays pass-first NFL, and the probability that none of us can sign one before the draft.

I think you pretty much nailed HOU, defense, defense, defense! But, the secondary is where they're weak, I think they will address CB and S at some point in addition to 3-4 players. Actually, now that I look at their roster, another candidate for Dareus, should he make it this far! DOH! NT is the one spot they really don't have. They've got guys with size for DE, and can move a DE or two back to OLB, and probably slide Cushing and Ziles inside to MLB...?

Thats what I've got for now, havn't been looking too far past the Vikes...yet!

Cheers!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090596
    Are you crazy? (Not calling you crazy my friend)........

You know how serious I am about this stuff.........

Lots of good value in kickers starting in the after the draft. Best K, can do both, isn't projected to be picked until the 6th round. Why would we draft one in the third?

In the end, we need a K, but they are a dime a dozen. Go get a Vet for almost nothing or get one as a UDFA.

(On a side note, because they are a dime a dozen, I never really understood why everyone was so sure we couldn't live without Shortwell).
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1090594
    ...Don't forget about that Nebraska kid, Alex Henery K--

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1123569

Alex Henery will complete one of the most outstanding careers for a place-kicker in college football history in the Holiday Bowl. Henery has continued to amaze with his accuracy and leg strength during his senior season, while also ranking as one of the Big 12's top punters for the second straight year. Henery has been most impressive in the postseason, connecting on 14-of-14 postseason field goals, including a 4-of-4 effort in the 2009 Holiday Bowl.

The Omaha native has connected on 18-of-19 field goals this season, with his only miss a blocked 51-yard attempt. His successful kicks include 10 from beyond 40 yards, and two from 50+ yards. He owns three of the top five single-season field goal totals in school history, including an NU record 24 in 2009. Henery is also perfect on 53 PAT attempts this season, extending his consecutive extra point streak to 115 entering the Holiday Bowl.

Henery's accuracy in 2010 has improved his career mark on field goals to 68-of-76, and his 89.5 percent career accuracy percentage betters the NCAA record of 87.8 percent. He has also made 192-of-193 career PATs and his combined accuracy rate of 96.7 percent is also on pace to shatter an NCAA record.

This season, Henery has scored 107 points his third straight 100-point season after totaling 110 points in both 2008 and 2009. All three totals rank in the top 10 on the NU single-season list and he needs 10 points in the Holiday Bowl to set a single-season record for a Nebraska kicker. Henery has pushed his career scoring total to 396 points, establishing a new Nebraska career mark, bettering Kris Brown's 388 career points. With four points in the Holiday Bowl, Henery would become just the 12th player (seventh kicker) in NCAA history with 400 career points.

Henery also averaged 43.9 yards per punt to help NU rank 32nd in the nation in net punting. He placed 26 of his punts inside the 20-yard line and had 17 punts travel at least 50 yards. Henery was a first-team All-America selection by the Associated Press, SI.com, Rivals.com, CBSSports.com and was a first-team All-Big 12 choice by several media outlets, including the AP. He was also a second-team All-Big 12 choice as a punter by the league's head coaches.

He has the real possibility of being a major impact player.

I couldn't do a mock with him not in it. It could be me.

:P
    LOL, I already have my eye on him. Problem, as I told my good friend bleed.....

CDS Projected 2011 NFL Draft Round 6
    I would wait until the end of the draft and get a kid like Matt Bosher or a Kai Forbath who had good 2009 campaigns but slumped a bit in 2010.

Forbath was actually pretty damn good from 50 in until he missed a few close ones late this year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090610
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090596
    Are you crazy? (Not calling you crazy my friend)........

You know how serious I am about this stuff.........

Lots of good value in kickers starting in the after the draft. Best K, can do both, isn't projected to be picked until the 6th round. Why would we draft one in the third?
    My post was directed at dfoster. he said we should draft him in the fourth (our third pick)

In the end, we need a K, but they are a dime a dozen. Go get a Vet for almost nothing or get one as a UDFA.

(On a side note, because they are a dime a dozen, I never really understood why everyone was so sure we couldn't live without Shortwell).
    Kickers are a dime a dozen. Guys like Hauschka, Buehler, Carpenter, Lindell, Crosby and Folk. Good kickers who are reliable to get us points when the game is on the line are very tough to find. There's a reason Indy hangs onto Vinateiri. While he doesn't have much of a leg anymore, he's about as clutch as they come.

I'd by far rather keep Longwell and only kickoff to the 5 as we've been doing all year, then get a big-leg guy like Lloyd who can't be trusted to make field goals.

When you get a guy who can do both, that's truly a rare thing.

There's only a few guys in recent memory who fit that bill, and alot of them have HOF talk around them. Guys like Gary/Morten Anderson and Jason Elam come to mind. Guys with shorter legs, but super accurate are much better IMO than a guy who can boot it through the endzone, but is a tossup on kicks over 35 yards.

Quick question, would you rather have A guy like Janikowski, longest leg in the game, or somebody like Shayne graham, shorter, but 100% accurate this season (Was going to say Longwell, who was 2nd most accurate this season, but I know you'd opt for Janikowski in that situation)

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090618
    My post was directed at dfoster. he said we should draft him in the fourth (our third pick)
    Then why didn't you quote him instead of quoting me?

Quick question, would you rather have A guy like Janikowski, longest leg in the game, or somebody like Shayne graham, shorter, but 100% accurate this season (Was going to say Longwell, who was 2nd most accurate this season, but I know you'd opt for Janikowski in that situation)
    First, where did you get that Shortwell was 2nd most accurate in the league this year?

I think he was in the mid 80's wasn't he with respect to precentage.

As to why I wish we had someone who can get it in the endzone, you have to remember that to get it past even the 5 yard line, Shortwells hang time is reduced, which in turns reduces the time that our coverage teams have to beat their blocks and fill their lanes.

When you look at how the play calling changes when a team starts from the 20 or behind, as apposed to the 30 and beyond, it is a alot more important, to a team that isn't gonna score alot of points on offense, to give their defense a chance to stop teams from putting up 3 or 6(7) than to keep a "Accurate" kicker on the bench who, because his offense never gets past the 50, isn't kicking FG's.

On a side note, we have alot of threads to go back and forth on my feelings about ex PUKERS. Lets try to keep this one on the draft and team needs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090623
    I didn't quote anybody

First, where did you get that Shortwell was 2nd most accurate in the league this year?
    93% nfl.com is your friend
    http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&statisticCategory=FIELD_GOALS& d-447263-s=KICKING_FG_PCT&experience=null&d-447263-n=1&season=2010&qualified=true&Submit=Go&tabSeq=0& d-447263-p=1

Top 5 kickers by %
    Graham - 100%
    Longwell - 94%
    Suisham - 93%
    Vinateiri - 93%
    Bironas - 92%
    You think incorrectly

As to why I wish we had someone who can get it in the endzone, you have to remember that to get it past even the 5 yard line, Shortwells hang time is reduced, which in turns reduces the time that our coverage teams have to beat their blocks and fill their lanes.

When you look at how the play calling changes when a team starts from the 20 or behind, as apposed to the 30 and beyond, it is a alot more important, to a team that isn't gonna score alot of points on offense, to give their defense a chance to stop teams from putting up 3 or 6(7) than to keep a "Accurate" kicker on the bench who, because his offense never gets past the 50, isn't kicking FG's.
    Or maybe, if our Offense could sustain half a drive, we'd get more chances to kick.

But I'll play.

Our average starting position given up on kickoffs is the 31.6 yard line.

That's based on a 62.3 yard kick average by Longwell, and a 23.9 yard return average.

While not great, it's hardly worth giving up a sure thing with field goals for 5 extra yards. The best kicker for distance, Billy Cundiff, 71.1 yard average distance, 26 yard return average, average starting position of 24.9.

That's roughly 6 yards. Not worth it. We tried it with Lloyd. He sucked.

How many times has Longwell made clutch kicks to win games? Quite a few.
    How many times have other teams you've watched had clutch kicks, and watched their dime a dozen kicker boot it 60 yards wide right? Also quite a few. Steelers dime a dozen kicker booted one into the mens room during the superbowl. Crosby makes a habit of missing clutch kicks, but he's got one hell of a leg.

Scobee.. 100% inside 40, 64% in 40-49 yarders. Those are some of the most important kicks. They can make the difference between a team starting in great position, or you getting 3 points.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090624
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090623
    I didn't quote anybody

93% nfl.com is your friend
    http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&statisticCategory=FIELD_GOALS& d-447263-s=KICKING_FG_PCT&experience=null&d-447263-n=1&season=2010&qualified=true&Submit=Go&tabSeq=0& d-447263-p=1

Top 5 kickers by %
    Graham - 100%
    Longwell - 94%
    Suisham - 93%
    Vinateiri - 93%
    Bironas - 92%
    You think incorrectly

Or maybe, if our Offense could sustain half a drive, we'd get more chances to kick.

But I'll play.

Our average starting position given up on kickoffs is the 31.6 yard line.

That's based on a 62.3 yard kick average by Longwell, and a 23.9 yard return average.

While not great, it's hardly worth giving up a sure thing with field goals for 5 extra yards. The best kicker for distance, Billy Cundiff, 71.1 yard average distance, 26 yard return average, average starting position of 24.9.

That's roughly 6 yards. Not worth it. We tried it with Lloyd. He sucked.

How many times has Longwell made clutch kicks to win games? Quite a few.
    How many times have other teams you've watched had clutch kicks, and watched their dime a dozen kicker boot it 60 yards wide right? Also quite a few. Steelers dime a dozen kicker booted one into the mens room during the superbowl. Crosby makes a habit of missing clutch kicks, but he's got one hell of a leg.

Scobee.. 100% inside 40, 64% in 40-49 yarders. Those are some of the most important kicks. They can make the difference between a team starting in great position, or you getting 3 points.
    Haven't we gone over this enough in the Shortwell thread?

Again, this thread is about the draft this year.

If you want to talk Shortwell, go pull that one up and I will go over each and every stat you just used in this thread.

(On a side note, this is why I don't like EX PUKER players. Everyone wants to turn everything into a discussion about them. Haven't we had enough? Lets move on.)

dfosterf is offline Coach

I never said to take that kicker in the 4th...

I said (in another thread) that it wouldn't shock me if someone did.

If he's there for my (Puker) 5th round, I'm screaming at Ted (I do this a lot during the draft :P ) to take him, and if Ted actually had the stones to take him with what I believe we are getting for Kampman as a compensatory pick... end of the 4th...

I'm not even going to bitch about it! (Ask around, that hardly ever happens :P due to the fact that I'm a better GM than Ted Thompson, just ask, lol)

..at least in my mind...

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1090628
    I never said to take that kicker in the 4th...

I said (in another thread) that it wouldn't shock me if someone did.

If he's there for my (Puker) 5th round, I'm screaming at Ted (I do this a lot during the draft :P ) to take him, and if Ted actually had the stones to take him with what I believe we are getting for Kampman as a compensatory pick... end of the 4th...

I'm not even going to bitch about it! (Ask around, that hardly ever happens :P due to the fact that I'm a better GM than Ted Thompson, just ask, lol)

..at least in my mind...
    LOL, I still remember the frustration alot of you PUKER fans had with ole TT when he took over and then he went and did the un-thinkable and almost all of you went off the deepend.

When I look around the league, I hate to admit it, but I think he is in the top 5 when it comes to GM's right now.

Because he isn't a PUKER player, I would welcome him into the Viking fold with open arms. B)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast