Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Team Needs (Pre Draft/FA Period)

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1089954
    Yeah, the WR group we have is really forgettable. I just don't know how we can expect to fix the secondary, OL, DL, WR and QB depth and expect any great strides out of the team. It is looking more and more like a 3-5 year rebuilding before we even sniff the playoffs.
    I wouldn't say it is forgettable.

What I would say is that our offense was never really in synch last year because the WR's and the QB's never ever got on the same page.

Heck, even TJ, who got the predominance of the reps in camp didn't get to work with Rice or PH, Cam came in late and for some reason I think BB was digned as well but have to check that.

Long story short, the WCO doesn't click without a stable WR corp. We sure didn't have that last year. Lets see what this year brings, remembering of course, this WR corps was good enough to get us to the NFC Championship game.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "V4L" #1089957
    When you rotate Berrian, Cam, Greg Lewis and Hank Baskett in for multiple games you won't get much

IFFF Sid was healthy he would be a great number 1.. But we can't bank on that
    Said it before and I'll say it again. Our WR's don't work off the the #1, #2, #3 etc concept. They work as a package to exploit the other teams weakness.

Our problem last year was that we didn't see our "Packages" on the field that could exploit those packages.

Truth of the matter is, most on here start hacking on our WR's with Berrian, mostly cause they want to see him catching passes deep all the time, when in fact, the deep ball really only comes into play when the shorter stuff has caused the defense to shart cheating up.

We never saw that "Cheating" last year. Mostly because PH and Rice weren't on the field.

In short, if they sign Rice, we will be OK at WR this year regardless of how bad most on here want to see the "Three Deep" / "Chuck it Deep" every play that they saw back when we had Moss/Carter/Reed.

In case you haven't heard, we aren't gonna see that this year. Musgrove will basically run the same offense we have seen under the Chiller. That means lots of running and short dinks/dunks with a few shots deep each half.

To do that, you need a quick guy who can get off the line clean like PH with Cam as a backup. A big possesion guy who can work the middle in the short to intermediate range like Rice and a guy who can run real fast who can force a S to help over the top so your possesion guy and eventually your TE can exploit the middle of the field.

OT I don't think was as bad as some think.. Yes we could improve but I don't see where we can find an instant upgrade
    Agree. Lets see what these cats can do when all they have to do is worry about one blocking scheme.

Safety we really neeed
    I tend to agree here as well, but mostly because Tyrell and Husain are FA's.

I think most of the issues people have with Sanford can be traced back to the learning on the field curve. Put him next to Husain this year (gotta resign him) and we should be set.

Center PLEASE find a true center
    Please define a "True Center". We have 3 "True Centers". Problem is, they are centers that are best suited for the ZB'ng scheme.

I'm not so sure that Cook couldn't be plugged in at C as we transition to that new scheme.

As I pointed out earlier. Early projections have Pouncey up high, but as time goes on, we are seeing him slip a bit down the boards as the "Real" scouts start looking at him instead of a bunch of yutz's on keyboards who only know him because of his brother.

CB I don't feel was as bad as most think.. With very little pressure for many many weeks they still do OKAY for back ups.. Ced and Cook coming back should help.. I still think adding one will happen
    Agree in total. Quick question. When do they add one? I say they add via the Undrafted Free Agent path and don't waste a precious pick in this area.

QB is our biggest need like everyone else sees.. And I want a vet to go along with Ryan Mallet.. Roll with Webb Mallet and a vet.. Cut Ramsey and the old Okla dude
    Mallet sure seems to have all the tools.

Problem is, do you go ahead and risk it with him? Putting aside the whole DUI and "Suspected" drug use issues, he sure seems to loose it in the big games, mostly when pressure was put on him in the pocket. IMHO, it seems that they really exposed how "Imobile" he is in the pocket.

When you consider the scheme we run, and what we ask the QB to do with respect to being able to move around, I'm not so sure I like him. I would much rather look at a kid like Kaepernick.

A bit more accurate, a bit more mobile, and doesn't come with all the baggage. Only negative I can find on him is that he was more of a runner (but showed this year he could throw) and didn't get alot of work under center because of the "Pistol" offense they ran.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090056
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1089951
    I think we should take a look at bringing Sharper back to shore up the secondary.
    Why? Looks to me like he was back to his same old self last year.
    Just to have another ex packer on the team to piss you off.:woohoo:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090058
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1089954
    Yeah, the WR group we have is really forgettable. I just don't know how we can expect to fix the secondary, OL, DL, WR and QB depth and expect any great strides out of the team. It is looking more and more like a 3-5 year rebuilding before we even sniff the playoffs.
    I wouldn't say it is forgettable.

What I would say is that our offense was never really in synch last year because the WR's and the QB's never ever got on the same page.

Heck, even TJ, who got the predominance of the reps in camp didn't get to work with Rice or PH, Cam came in late and for some reason I think BB was digned as well but have to check that.

Long story short, the WCO doesn't click without a stable WR corp. We sure didn't have that last year. Lets see what this year brings, remembering of course, this WR corps was good enough to get us to the NFC Championship game.
    It wasn't the WR's that got us to the championship game Marr. It was also a wrong route that led to the INT that kept us out of the SB.

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1089986
    Frazier would like to run the ball. We know teams built to run have a hard time coming from behind.
    So a running team has to be able to stop the run and keep games close.
    So unless we take a QB at 12, I think we will take a defensive player first.
    I see us taking offensive players later in the draft.

I wasn't pleased with last years draft. Hopefully this year will be better.
    I think your spot on my friend. This time of year I like to look at "indicators". A big indicator was who they used the "Tag" on. Chad......Defense.

Another big one is the Offensive coaching changes. Musgrove isn't changing the scheme. We are still gonna see run first, run second, run third. Our OL coach is gonna simplify things and only run a traditional, man on man/hat on hat blockign scheme instead of the double blocking scheme (Zone for run/Hat on hat for pass) that they ran under the Chiller.

Again, an indicator that they aren't gonna make big changes on that side of the ball.

My guess, they will use one of their first 2 draft picks on a QB. The rest of the picks will be used on the defensive side of the ball and I look for them to try to find a C in the undrafted market of FA market if they don't opt to go with Sully/Coop or Cook again this year in a cost saving effort.

Comeon people.....good stuff on the Vikes. What about the other teams. Anyone hearing rumors, reading anything in your local rags?

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1090060
    I think we should take a look at bringing Sharper back to shore up the secondary.
    I figured as much. Guess what, its alot more fun around here if we move off that and just talk football though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090064
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1090060
    I figured as much. Guess what, its alot more fun around here if we move off that and just talk football though.
    OK.

I look at it this way. There are 4 core positions that every team needs to fill first. They are QB, RDE, LT and CB.

Right now we have one of those filled (RDE) so in the draft I would pick the best player available at any of those 3 positions.

I was listening to a long time NFL scout this morning and he basically said if Solder is available he would be a great pick at 12.

Damn, for some reason, I just figured out that I don't have picks 7 and 8 in there. Gotta update this.

dfosterf is offline Coach

...Don't forget about that Nebraska kid, Alex Henery K--

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1123569

Alex Henery will complete one of the most outstanding careers for a place-kicker in college football history in the Holiday Bowl. Henery has continued to amaze with his accuracy and leg strength during his senior season, while also ranking as one of the Big 12's top punters for the second straight year. Henery has been most impressive in the postseason, connecting on 14-of-14 postseason field goals, including a 4-of-4 effort in the 2009 Holiday Bowl.

The Omaha native has connected on 18-of-19 field goals this season, with his only miss a blocked 51-yard attempt. His successful kicks include 10 from beyond 40 yards, and two from 50+ yards. He owns three of the top five single-season field goal totals in school history, including an NU record 24 in 2009. Henery is also perfect on 53 PAT attempts this season, extending his consecutive extra point streak to 115 entering the Holiday Bowl.

Henery's accuracy in 2010 has improved his career mark on field goals to 68-of-76, and his 89.5 percent career accuracy percentage betters the NCAA record of 87.8 percent. He has also made 192-of-193 career PATs and his combined accuracy rate of 96.7 percent is also on pace to shatter an NCAA record.

This season, Henery has scored 107 points his third straight 100-point season after totaling 110 points in both 2008 and 2009. All three totals rank in the top 10 on the NU single-season list and he needs 10 points in the Holiday Bowl to set a single-season record for a Nebraska kicker. Henery has pushed his career scoring total to 396 points, establishing a new Nebraska career mark, bettering Kris Brown's 388 career points. With four points in the Holiday Bowl, Henery would become just the 12th player (seventh kicker) in NCAA history with 400 career points.

Henery also averaged 43.9 yards per punt to help NU rank 32nd in the nation in net punting. He placed 26 of his punts inside the 20-yard line and had 17 punts travel at least 50 yards. Henery was a first-team All-America selection by the Associated Press, SI.com, Rivals.com, CBSSports.com and was a first-team All-Big 12 choice by several media outlets, including the AP. He was also a second-team All-Big 12 choice as a punter by the league's head coaches.

He has the real possibility of being a major impact player.

I couldn't do a mock with him not in it. It could be me.

:P

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast