Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Team Needs (Pre Draft/FA Period)

OK, here it is. The first step in the development of my 7 round mock draft. Spent some time the last 3 days visiting team chat pages, team sites, and sites like KFFL to determine what the teams will need to fix during this offseason.

I put the needs in order of priority based were the team landed statistically last year, possible FA movement and coaching/scheme changes.

As always, comments are welcome.

1. Carolina (2-14
    DE, DT, OLB, OG, TE, WR, QB?
    )
    Clausen couldn't read a defense and looked bad doing it. Both DTs are small and undertakles at that. Smith is getting old. Once Otah went down, Clausen even looked worse. Fox being gone means a TE is a need.

2. Denver (4-12)
    DE, OLB, DC, DS, TE, RB

Switching from 3-4 to 4-3. TE help on offense. Harris at RT is always injured. RB injuries might equate to a later round pick.

3. Buffalo (4-12)
    QB, OL, OL, DL, LB, WR

No QB worth taking early but Fitz is a good back up at best. Still trying to convert to 3-4. Bell, Wrotto and Green sucked this year so OT is a must on both ends. Evans not only needs help but is owed 8.4 Mil. Will they keep him.

4. Cincinnati (4-12)
    WR, OG, RB, DS, LB, QB

Palmer retirement. Had only 26 sacks in 2010. What is the future of TO and Chad. Jones struggled at LB.

5. Arizona (5-11)
    QB, WR, OL, OLB, DB

Is Skelton the guy? Brown struggled at LT, Porter and haggans combined for 10 sacks at LB, Is Faneca finally done. The combo of Keith and Bridges at RB didn't work, will DRC come back or is does he need to be replaced at CB. Maybe an upgrade at S/Help for Rhodes

6. Cleveland (5-11)
    DE, OLB, ILB, OL, WR, QB

They need help in the front 7 to negate the offenses in their div. Maybe a late round QB.

7. San Francisco (6-10)
    QB, DE, OLB, CB, FS, WR, OT

They have missed on QB, need something other than Sopoaga and Mcdonald to get production at the DE position, maybe a LB'r that can rush the passer, Clements is getting paid more than he produces. Gooldson is a FA and probalby isn't worth resigning because of injuries. Ginn isn't the answer next to Crabbtree and a T for depth might not hurt depending on the scheme they run.

8. Tennessee (6-10)
    QB, OG, MLB, DT

QB is the obvious need. Collins is a good vet but age is really starting to hurt his ability to play a full 16 game schedule. Harris, at LG is a FA, Tulloch (ILB) is gonna be allowed to walk. Harris and Amano don't seem to be the answer at C.Will they resign Babin at DE. Witherspoon wasn't as advertised at the Will. Hope sure didn't live up to his big contract this year making SS a need.

9. Dallas (6-10)
    CB, RT, FS, RDE, LG, SS, DL, WR

Secondary, Columbo injury, CB and S, Roy Williams at WR won't be back. Spears is gone, and Hatcher/Bowen are FA's.

10. Washington (6-10)
    QB, RT, WR, FS, NT, OLB, ILB,C, K, P,

Whats the plan for McNabb? I think they only signed him so they could trade him. If they can retain Moss they still need help at WR. They need production out of their OLB and ILBs, Haynesworth will be gone, Rogers and Buchanon are FA at CB. Artis hicks needs to be replaced. Rabach is 34 at C

11. Houston (6-10)
    NT, DC, OLB, DS

Wade Phillips is bringing the 3-4 to town. This years offseason will be focused to make that transistion.

12. Minnesota (6-10)
    QB, C, OT, DT, DE, FS, CB, WR

With 19 FA's and at least 10 players with 2012 expiring contracts that need to be addressed the staff is gonna be really up against it when it comes to what will be needed in this draft and what is the priority.

Goes without saying that QB is a need. Problem is there aren't any good FA's out there that are available without burning another pick. Blocking scheme will dictate that Sully gets replaced. Phat Pat only gives you about 5 good plays a game. FA issues at LDE necessitate a possible pick for depth. OT's might be better in the new scheme but unless one of the PS players steps up a pick might have to be used to get depth if Cook isn't resigned. Unless a S steps up/emerges like Hussain did last year, another youngster might need to be added for depth. If injuries continue to be an issue, a CB might need to be taken in the latter rounds.

Note: Added WR to this list based on Caines post. Not sure if they will address this position in the draft based on the tag to Rice.

13. Detroit (6-10)
    RT, CB, SS, LT, RT, RB, OLB

Houston is a FA, Backus gave up to many sacks, Raiola isn't the answer at C, a big RB is needed. Amari attempted to switch to S but that didn't work so well.

14. St. Louis (7-9)
    WR, RG, DT, WLB, SS, TE,CB, DE, RB

Bradford needs targets at WR, Goldberg sucks at RG, Gibson sucks at DT, Will LB help is needed. SS and CB depth is needed. Jackson needs someone to spell him.

15. Miami (7-9)
    QB, OG, RB, DS

Henne didn't evolve as expected. Do they give him one more year. John Jerry did OK at G but they need another. RB's are getting old and they need help at S

16. Jacksonville (8-8)
    LB, DS, QB, WR

DL is good, need backend help at LB and CB. Backup RB/QB would be nice as well.

17. New England - from Oakland (8-8)
    WR, RB, OL, DS

Need to upgrade old RB's and maybe a deep threat WR.

18. San Diego (9-7)
    ILB, DE, OLB, WR, FS, CB

Tagged Jackson. English hasn't worked at OLB, Cesaire is old and a FA at DE, All 3 ILB are FA, both FS are FA, Strickland gave up a lot at the nickel CB spot.

19. New York Giants (10-6)
    OT, LB, C, DC, LG, QB, RB, FS, P

Beatty isn't the answer at LT, Jacobs is getting old, Ohara is 34 at C, Seubert had surgery and is in a contract year. How bad was Smiths knee, will Plex come back.

20. Tampa Bay (10-6)
    DE, OLB, CB, FS, LG, SLB, C, TE

Faine has missed a lot of games lately, Cadillac is a FA, will Ronde be back? Help at DE is needed, Trueblood and Lee rotation sucked.

21. Kansas City* (10-6)
    WR, OG, OLB, ILB, QB

Bowe needs help and Vrable is ancient. What happens if Cassell goes down again.

22. Indianapolis* (10-6)
    LT, RT, OG, DT, RB, QB, SS, P

Running game needs improvement both on the line and at RB. SS is an issue due to Sanders injuries. Depth at QB.

23. Philadelphia* (10-6)
    RG, OLB, CB, SS

Depth is needed. Jean-Gilles is a FA at RG, Patterson was a weakness at CB, Can they resign Bradley at OLB. Sims struggled in pass protection. Will they resign Mikell at SS or let him walk like they've done in the past.

24. New Orleans* (11-5)
    DT, WLB, DE, RT, RB, SLB, SS

What will they do with Ellis at DT, Shanle is a FA at LB but needed to be upgraded anyways. No DE's had more than 6 sacks. Was it just a down year for Stinchcob, Thomas is a FA at RB, is Bush injury prone and will Ivory get any better. Clark is a FA at LB. Whats up with Harper and Sharp.

25. Seattle* (7-9)
    SS, RT, CB, LDE, WR, RG, C, QB?, K
    Jennings is a FA at CB, S help is needed, Locklear is a FA at RT, Brock had 8 sacks, but all came at the end of a contract year and is a FA, Williams and Tate worked out but neither really worry anyone/command doubles. Spencer is injury prone at Ungers use is up in the air at G/C. What is up with Whitehurst? Will he replace Hasselbeck? Is there anything left for Hasselbeck. Mare is a FA at K.

26. Baltimore* (12-4)
    CB, ILB, WR, DE, RT, RG
    All of the CB's are FA, Lewis is old (and a murderer), Redding was non existant all year so DE help is needed, Yanda is a FA at RT especially if Gaithers back doesn't heal. Will they resign Chester at RG.

27. Atlanta* (13-3)
    TE, WR, DE, LT, RG, LG, SS, SLB, CB, DE
    TE is old, WRs they now have can't make plays, both G's are FA, SS got lit up all year long, Depth behind Grimes and Robinson at CB, Abraham is in his 30's. A replacement is needed behind him.

28. New England* (14-2)
    Second Pick

29. Chicago* (11-5)
    WR, SLB, OL(all of it), DT, RB, P, CB

Cutler needs threats other than the group he has at WR, the whole OL needs help, especially if Kruetz isn't resigned. Williams back is a big concern, Tinoisamoa is a FA and 30. CB's are short and need depth.

30. New York Jets* (11-5)
    DE, CB, OLB, ILB, WR, K
    Ellis age showed when Jenkins went down. OLB to replace Taylor is a need. Cromartie is a FA at CB, Can the they resign both Holmes and Edwards making WR a need.

31. Pittsburgh* (12-4)
    OL, NT, CB

The line continues to be a problem. Pouncey is good at C, Starks has a neck injury, Colon is a FA. Mcfadden is terrible at CB, Hampton turns 33 and a replacement for Farrior is needed soon.

32. Green Bay* (10-6)
    OT, WR, DL, ILB Classier Fans

Team will be drafting for Depth (BPA) at almost all positions. Age and injuries at the T position was helped by Baluga, but more help is needed. Maybe a bigger/taller Dlmen that can rush.

16. Oakland (8-8) No pick in the first round (again)
    QB, CB, LG, C, RT, DT, SLB, WR

Good draft last year. Need a QB and maybe a WR. Miller is a FA at TE. Asomugha is a FA, Gallery can't stay healthy
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

thatjusthappened28 is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Team Needs (Pre Draft/FA Period)

hello.... im back!

I do believe you are correct that QB is our biggest need. However, though are Oline does need work, safety is a huge concern in my opinion. With big names like otagwe, sanders, wilson out there, maybe we look at FA for that. I believe most people see us taking a DE such as Quinn, Kerrigan, Watt, Ayers.

I think the smartest player to take with our first pick would be...

Mike Pouncey. you see what his brother did for the Steelers. and he could fit a few positions as he's very versitle.

thank you Josdin00 for the amazing sig!

and yes... that just happened!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I think we should take a look at bringing Sharper back to shore up the secondary.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

I would like to add that in addition to agreeing with Marrdro that QB, C, OT, DT, DE, FS, CB are all "Need" positions, I would also add WR to that list. In fact, I might send that one up the list., priority-wise.

Fact is, we saw very little success down the field last season, and not all of it had to do with the OL or Favre...a lot of it had to do with the fact that we simply didn't field a very good group.

With Rice being iffy - both in terms of resigning and in terms of durability - and Berrian stinking...again...we are left looking at Harvin, a forgettable Camarillo, and a crop of former Eaqles no one really wanted for a WR Corps.

Just a thought...

Caine

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Yeah, the WR group we have is really forgettable. I just don't know how we can expect to fix the secondary, OL, DL, WR and QB depth and expect any great strides out of the team. It is looking more and more like a 3-5 year rebuilding before we even sniff the playoffs.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1089952
    I would like to add that in addition to agreeing with Marrdro that QB, C, OT, DT, DE, FS, CB are all "Need" positions, I would also add WR to that list. In fact, I might send that one up the list., priority-wise.

Fact is, we saw very little success down the field last season, and not all of it had to do with the OL or Favre...a lot of it had to do with the fact that we simply didn't field a very good group.

With Rice being iffy - both in terms of resigning and in terms of durability - and Berrian stinking...again...we are left looking at Harvin, a forgettable Camarillo, and a crop of former Eaqles no one really wanted for a WR Corps.

Just a thought...

Caine

+1

When you rotate Berrian, Cam, Greg Lewis and Hank Baskett in for multiple games you won't get much

IFFF Sid was healthy he would be a great number 1.. But we can't bank on that

OT I don't think was as bad as some think.. Yes we could improve but I don't see where we can find an instant upgrade

Safety we really neeed

Center PLEASE find a true center

CB I don't feel was as bad as most think.. With very little pressure for many many weeks they still do OKAY for back ups.. Ced and Cook coming back should help.. I still think adding one will happen

QB is our biggest need like everyone else sees.. And I want a vet to go along with Ryan Mallet.. Roll with Webb Mallet and a vet.. Cut Ramsey and the old Okla dude

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Frazier would like to run the ball. We know teams built to run have a hard time coming from behind.
    So a running team has to be able to stop the run and keep games close.
    So unless we take a QB at 12, I think we will take a defensive player first.
    I see us taking offensive players later in the draft.

I wasn't pleased with last years draft. Hopefully this year will be better.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Quote Originally Posted by "thatjusthappened28" #1089947
    hello.... im back!

I do believe you are correct that QB is our biggest need. However, though are Oline does need work, safety is a huge concern in my opinion. With big names like otagwe, sanders, wilson out there, maybe we look at FA for that. I believe most people see us taking a DE such as Quinn, Kerrigan, Watt, Ayers.

I think the smartest player to take with our first pick would be...

Mike Pouncey. you see what his brother did for the Steelers. and he could fit a few positions as he's very versitle.
    I like the idea of Pouncey, mostly cause I don't think our OL really needs anything other than a new C.

I like Sully, not sure about Coop, but neither are good fits for the new scheme. Not sure about Coop, but I don't think Sully can add anymore wieght as I believe his injury woes last year can be traced back to carrying to much.

Having said all that, I'm using a different database/link for my base analysis this year (until I get my Ourlads draft guide) and they have this kid as their best C coming out and project Pouncey as a G.

Stefen Wisniewski

Strengths
    Wisniewski is a very experienced player who has proven to be durable during his four years at Penn State. He's a versatile player who has started at both guard positions and also an entire season (2009) at the pivot. He's a supremely intelligent and hard-working player with excellent bloodlines. He has decent size and athleticism, but what sets him apart is his technical proficiency. He understands leverage and does an excellent job of bending at the knee and uses his arms and hands exceptionally well. He uses angles well and is always in position to make a play. Smart player who understands the blocking schemes and can recognize defensive fronts and make line calls. He gets out of his stance quickly and sets up well. He's able to move well laterally and can slide to the second level effectively. He's a very capable blocker in space as well, showing good balance and ability to sustain blocks while moving. He's a worker who always finishes his blocks. Outstanding character and student-athlete who has good football instincts as well.
    Weaknesses
    Wisniewski is on the small side to play OG in the NFL and might be limited to a ZBS. He has decent upper body strength, but needs some more sand in his pants to really hold up well at the POA. Doesn't anchor well and can be walked into the backfield by better DTs.
    Projection
    Wisniewski has the experience, technical skills, versatility, pedigree, intelligence, and character that teams are looking for. He'll need to convince teams that he can add some functional lower body strength. He looks like a guy who could go anywhere in the first 20-40 picks in the 2011 NFL Draft in April.
    Problem I see with all the C's coming out this year is that because most colleges run that damn "Spread" offense, we are seeing more and more Lineman coming out that are best suited for the "Zone Blocking Scheme", which we are moving away from this year.

Might be why the next best kid on their list is projected into the latter rounds.

Having said all of that, not sure they go with OL in the first round. If nothing else, they can/could plug Cook in at C, but that would mean they would have to ink him to a contract.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1089951
    I think we should take a look at bringing Sharper back to shore up the secondary.
    Why? Looks to me like he was back to his same old self last year.

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1089952

Just a thought...

Caine
    Good catch on the WR. Truth of the matter is, however, I didn't put them in as a need based on the following:

a. I am 100% convinced that the staff will not have a open checkbook this year.
    b. Based on item a, they will not be looking at the prospects of making wholesale changes at any roster postion, but reather, to resign who they can and draft replacements if necessary.
    c. Currently the WR position is made up of:

8. Percy Harvin 8/2/2009: Signed a five-year, $12.05 million contract. The deal includes $8.425 million guaranteed. Another $2.2 million is available through incentives. 2011: $655,000 million, 2012: $915,000, 2013: $1.55 million, 2014: Free Agent
    9. Bernard Berrian 3/1/2008: Signed a six-year, $43.4 million contract. The deal contains $16 million guaranteed, including a $5 million signing bonus, a first-year roster bonus of $8 million, and a second-year roster bonus of $3 million. 2011: $3.9 million, 2012: $6.9 million, 2013: $7.9 million, 2014: Free Agent
    10. Emmanuel Arceneaux 1/22/2011: Signed a three-year, $1.8 million contract. The deal included a $75,000 signing bonus. 2011-2013: Under Contract, 2014: Free Agent
    11. Greg Camarillo 2011: $1.7 million, 2012: Free Agent
    12. Juaquin Iglesias 2011: $405,000, 2012: Restricted Free Agent
    13. Freddie Brown 1/3/2011: Signed a reserve/future contract.

When they signed Arceneaux to the 3 year deal (6'2/220 lbs/4.44 40) I think they were buying some cheap insurance for this year. Again, an indicator or item (a).

Another interesting signing was Iglesias. Coming off the Bores PS so I'm not so sure he is anything that will light up the world, but again, he adds some depth behind Berrian, if for some reason, Berrians dropoff the last 2 years can't be attribute to the guy under C.

In the end, I think you are correct that we have WR issues. My biggest concern here is that they aren't going to do anything about it other than to make a effort to resign Rice. Perhaps they might even try to trade Berrian for a draft pick, but I don't see them making any big moves in the draft for WR's. They have to much committed already.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast