Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Team Needs

Re: Team Needs

I should mention that the Vikings can't pick up a top tier OL in free agency because they would likely have to compete with the other teams that paid $49M for their free agent OL acquisitions recently.
    Paying too much for a free agent OL would automatically guarantee the $49M contract of Hutch.
    While I don't have a problem with his $49M contract, if he were seriously injured AFTER the contract were guaranteed, the Vikings would have to eat the entire remainder of the contract, and it would count against the salary cap for several more years.

So, the Vikings made a great move with the Hutch deal, and re-signing McKinnie during the middle of the season, perhaps sensing the market value escalation for OL that we've just seen.
    But now they are constrained by that contract in finding a new RG and RT.
    That means sticking with Cook as RT and backup C for 3-4 more years, and finding an upgrade at RG who is less expensive than $7M per year.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

bigbadragz is offline Coordinator

"Purplexing" wrote:
    I should mention that the Vikings can't pick up a top tier OL in free agency because they would likely have to compete with the other teams that paid $49M for their free agent OL acquisitions recently.
    Paying too much for a free agent OL would automatically guarantee the $49M contract of Hutch.
    While I don't have a problem with his $49M contract, if he were seriously injured AFTER the contract were guaranteed, the Vikings would have to eat the entire remainder of the contract, and it would count against the salary cap for several more years.

So, the Vikings made a great move with the Hutch deal, and re-signing McKinnie during the middle of the season, perhaps sensing the market value escalation for OL that we've just seen.
    That means sticking with Cook as RT and backup C for 3-4 more years, and finding an upgrade at RG who is less expensive than $7M per year.

well the OL that are left on the market are not gonna come at the price of 7million a year.
    not to mention a long term deal.
    there's still some solid bodies out there and they could probably ink one for reasonable money and at most a 3 year deal, if even.
    but they aren't pushing it so maybe they just love these guys and have some excuses for their poor play at times.
    who knows.
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

Sure, there are solid bodies out there (who are OL).

But are they REALLY THAT MUCH better than Cook, Herrera, Hicks, and Johnson?

And, do those solid bodies come at a cost equal to or less than the 4 above?

So, what sense is there in signing someone of marginally better talent at a HIGHER salary { even $1 higher! ) when the 4 roster players already know (most if not all of) the OL schemes?

I think an OL drafted in a late round may suffice to upgrade at RG, or for overall depth.
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

bigbadragz is offline Coordinator

"Purplexing" wrote:
    Sure, there are solid bodies out there (who are OL).

So, what sense is there in signing someone of marginally better talent at a HIGHER salary { even $1 higher! ) when the 4 roster players already know (most if not all of) the OL schemes?

I think an OL drafted in a late round may suffice to upgrade at RG, or for overall depth.
    well if you ask what the sense is, it's too improve inconsistent play.
    we really dont know what we have in johnson and cook, and if they are beating out the other guys it probably doesn't bode well for what kinda players they are.
    you must admit it is risky having both cook and johnson as your starters, if that is the case, without much depth.
    if we gotta turn to hicks we know that's trouble cuz he sucked.
    we have the money and don't have to overpay.
    there's gotta be one guy in the group that's out there, if not two, that are more stable than what we got.
    and really it's for the sake of tavaris, cuz teams attacked us from that side.
    not to mention mckinney still gets beat so if the right tackle spot is shaky also we might start seeing fumbles in the likes of culpepper proportion
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Goodness grief!

Another great member!
    We have had some good ones come along lately!

Great post friend!
    Keep them coming....PLEASE!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Gotta agree with Purp here.

there's gotta be one guy in the group that's out there, if not two, that are more stable than what we go
    Which ones do you recommend?

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=63&p=2&c=627009
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Purplexing" wrote:

That's exactly what I would like to see. But no later than the first pick on day 2.
    Improved line play is critical to the offense no matter who the QB is.
    I like Herrera and know Cook will need to improve. But I have little faith in Johnson and no faith in Hicks.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Vikingryche is offline Rookie

Our biggest weakness on this team is at wr, plain and simple!! We should trade our first and second and move up to take CJ. I believe the Lions will shop their pick. I dont know exact value for each pick, so may need more than those 2 picks. But I truly believe that Cj is a cant miss stud!!!
    IMHO...
    Go Vikes

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

WR solution:
    EITHER move up to take CJ

OR

Trade DOWN and take TWO WR prospects with our first two picks, then a solid OL prospect with the other 2nd rounder that we will get by trading down.
    Backups on Defense with the rest of the picks.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"Purplexing" wrote:

I remember from a while ago that, the clause in Hutch's contract, where he had to be the highest paid o-line or the contract was fully guaranteed was only for last season.Correct me if im wrong. It was reported on one of the local papers sites i beleive. It was a pretty big deal seeing as McKinnie was in his contract year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast