Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Team Needs

SoDakfan is offline Training Camp

Team Needs

I hear a lot of talk about taking a DE in the first round, maybe a running back in the first three rounds, needing a CB in early rounds.
    Frankly, I don't get it considering what the Vikes already have in those positions and their glaring needs in other areas.
    My breakdown:

DE:
    If we take a DE in the first round this year, we're really not much different than the Lions and their Wide Receiver run of a few years ago.
    We have 5 young defensive ends on the roster:
    former first rounders James and Udeze, along with Scott, Edwards, and Mitchell.
    Edwards and Mitchell both showed flashes as rookies last year.
    James never really got to show what he had.

I think the Vikes should focus on developing this young talent and stay away from DE in the draft.

RB:

Chester Taylor.
    Mewelde Moore.
    Artose Pinner (made me a believer against the Lions).
    Ciatrack Fason.
    Wendell Mathis, who was a practice squad guy but showed some skills in camp and preseason.

I really don't see the need for another back.
    As discussed later, shore up the O-Line, and each of these backs will be better.

CB:

Winfield and Griffin should be a solid corner tandem this year.
    Hopefully Dovonte Edwards can return to form in the nickel.

Charles Gordon also has the potential to turn into a stud.
    I don't see a need in early rounds for a CB.

Other non-need areas:
    Left side of O-Line (McKinney, Hutch, and Birk have this solidified), LB (Greenway, Henderson, Leber -- Thomas, Farwell, Circui backing them up), TE (We took Shiancoe, have to live with that for now and hope he pans out).

So, the big needs:

WR -- In a perfect world, Williamson will catch balls, Wade and McMullen will be serviceable Nos.
    4 and 5 receivers, and maybe the Vikes will finally use Jason Carter, who was the most impressive receiver I saw on the roster last year, yet never seemed to be given a chance (better to see what Martin Nance is made of?
    I didn't get it).
    Even if all those things fall into place, this is a thin position.
    Major need.
    Everyone knows that.

Right OT and OG -- Hicks, Johnson, Cook, Herrera -- hopefully one of these guys will step up and be a solid starter.
    Maybe Cook at right tackle.
    More talent/competition is needed on this side, however.

DT - I know, sounds funny.
    Hopefully Pat Williams has another good year or two in him, but it's time to bring in someone younger to groom.
    Ian Scott would be a good signing, but if not then a 3d or 4th round draft pick would be okay by me.

S (F or S) --
    Sharper isn't getting any younger, Tank Williams in injury prone, and is Dwight Smith gone?
    Greg Blue shows some promise, but a safety for the future is needed.

QB -- I'd only go with this if we picked Quinn with the first pick.
    Otherwise, why add another young "project" quarterback when we already have Jackson?

These are a decent number of needs.

I wish the Vikes if possible would trade down for a lower 1st and another second round pick.

As some have written, the draft is a crapshoot to a great extent so why not take as many "chances" as possible.

(E. g.
    -- wouldn't it be nice to get another second rounder and have the luck of, say, picking up a player who turns out to be Defensive Rookie of the Year?
    That's where the DROY was picked last year. )
    If Quinn is around, there's a decent #7 pick.
    Otherwise trade down -- Calvin Johnson will be gone and there's noone else at the 7 spot who alone is worth more to the Vikes than a lower first rounder along with a second round pick.
    With the three picks in the first two rounds, pick the best player available amongst receivers, offensive linemen, and safeties.
    With 3d and 4th round picks, look for best player available in those positions and in the DT area.

Thoughts?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Team Needs

Great post.
    Appears you did some work and put some thought into it.
    I have a couple of comments on taking a DE at 7 if CJ, Quinn and AP are gone:

DE:
    If we take a DE in the first round this year, we're really not much different than the Lions and their Wide Receiver run of a few years ago.

I think the Vikes should focus on developing this young talent and stay away from DE in the draft.
    I am very concerned over the statement by B-chill that Erasmus might not be 100 percent by camp.
    I was hoping they would bring in a FA here and maybe use the #7 if they stay there for this position.
    Jamal Anderson.
    He is projected there and would be a good value pick regardless of how many we have used in previous years.

Take a look at the stats:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/MIN

Almost 1 for 1 in time of possesion, our opponents had 43 sacks to our 30, our opponents had 15 passing TD's to 9 rushing.

Clearly we can do better on D.

The more times our D gets off 3 and out, the more times our young offense will have to shine
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Great first post. Welcome to the site.
    I agree with most of what you are saying. I differ in who to pick at number 7. I'm fine with trading down as an option. But I feel there are 5 or 6 guys you have to take if they fall to you at number 7 regardless of their position. One of them is a DE which fills a position of need.
    If it is Peterson, you have to take him even if it's not a position of need. It could be years before a running back of his quality is available to us.
    Unless there is the option to move up a little to get CJ I think we will pick at number 7 and get our wide receiver in the second round.
    But if some team offers us the right deal we could do well trading down.That would still get us an excellent wide receiver later in the first round.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

Eramus is one of my favorite guys on the team but you cannot ignore the fact that he has a long history of injuries.
    We might not ever get a full season out of him.

Then you have Udeze who had one of the worst knee surgeries that you can have last year.
    Most players NEVER regain the explosion they once had after microfracture surgery.
    Despite that he managed to play all of last season but how is it possible to play all 16 games and get ZERO sacks?
    Edwards in limited play time managed to get 3.

Scott has always been a solid player for us.
    He will never be a sack machine but he has a good combination both run/pass defense.

There are just too many what if's for me to feel comfortable at all about not adding another DE to the team.
    If we fail to get sacks again this season then our secondary will be chewed up once again.

bigbadragz is offline Coordinator

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Great post.
    Appears you did some work and put some thought into it.
    I have a couple of comments on taking a DE at 7 if CJ, Quinn and AP are gone:

DE:

I am very concerned over the statement by B-chill that Erasmus might not be 100 percent by camp.
    I was hoping they would bring in a FA here and maybe use the #7 if they stay there for this position.
    Jamal Anderson.
    He is projected there and would be a good value pick regardless of how many we have used in previous years.

Take a look at the stats:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/MIN

Almost 1 for 1 in time of possesion, our opponents had 43 sacks to our 30, our opponents had 15 passing TD's to 9 rushing.

Clearly we can do better on D.

The more times our D gets off 3 and out, the more times our young offense will have to shine
    ;D
    the only bad thing about jamal anderson is that i read he is still very raw, so he may not crack the lineup for a year or 2.
    he has all the ability they say, but he's kinda a project, where a guy like gaines adams is suppose to be able to step right in.
    chances are he won't be there for us though
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

Welcome!
    Great post and detailed analysis !

I agree with almost everything.
    The exception is DE and CB.
    And, you forgot that Tony Richardson and Jeff Dugan are great/ solid HBs.

DE; none stood out last year, so the impact of EJames returning may help, but I'd like to see the Vikings add a top tier pass rusher in rd 2 to compete, and provide a hedge against EJames not being 100% effective in 2007.

CB: Devonte Edwards did well two years ago, and was injured late in the season.
    He was injured in the 2006 pre-season and was placed on the IR again.
    So, he is going to compete to start, with he and Griffin playing CB and Nickel CB, and with Gordon providing depth.

So, I don't think a CB needs to be drafted high this year.
    I prefer that the Vikings not draft a CB, and sign a camp cuts vet CB for depth.
    The 2008 draft can be used to draft a CB to groom to eventually replace Winfield, or be a nickel CB if Edwards or Griffin improve enough to take over for Winfield in a few years.

C: Birk is getting old, so I hope the Vikes test Cook at C during pre-season in case Birk is injured during the season.
    For that reason, it looks like Cook will be the RT by default, but I hope competition is signed or drafted.

CJohnson isn't going to be available at #7.
    That leads to an ideal situation of Quinn possibly falling to #7.
    I'm not convinced yet that TJackson is a capable pro QB, so upgrading with Quinn's potential makes complete sense.
    There will be many other options at WR later, but a talent like Quinn won't be available in round 2.
    Thus, choosing Quinn at #7 is a 'no-brainer'.
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

x-ray jeff is offline Coordinator

Great first post! Welcome SoDakfan. I agree with what you see as team needs. But I gotta go with jargo in saying that if Adrian Peterson falls to #7 they have to take him, even though have decent backs already in place. Quinn would be nice too, but what would they do with T. Jackson then?

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Great first post, keep them coming.

welcome to the site

SKOL!!

SoDakfan is offline Training Camp

I agree the defensive end isn't necessarily a position of strength, but with all the other needs I feel more comfortable going with the 5 young ones we have and helping them develop than simply drafing a new one and praying he'll be able to be an immediate impact player.

The pass rush sucked, indeed, and Edwards and Mitchell and even James are raw.

But Tavaris is "raw", and they are giving him time to develop.
    Cook is "raw", but they are patient with him.
    Williamson is "raw" (well, that's a generous term), but they're sticking with him into a third season.
    Why does everyone give up on the young DE's so quickly?

As for Peterson, I agree that he's a horse, but it seems like taking backs high in the draft is so often a crapshoot and the Vikes are so weak at other positions.
    If we were a solid playoff team without so many weaknesses, I'd say take him in a heartbeat.

I should say I've been a bit disappointed with free agency.
    I get tired of hearing about "building through the draft. "
    It seems like not so long ago someone made a post showing where the Vikes' drafted players are now, and so few even stick with the team more than a year or two.
    I understand that free agency is crazy this year, but it seems the reality is that it's a rising market for players.
    Do the Vikes think it will "calm down" in later years with more good players on the market?
    I really doubt that.
    I don't think they should be going crazy like some teams have been . . .
    but it would be good to see them a bit more active, picking up some more competition for the O-Line and maybe some defensive depth.

And why not re-sign some of the Vikes' free agents like Travis Taylor, Kolodjiez, and Napoleon Harris (gone now)?
    Taylor isn't a star, but he's surely as good as Bobby Wade or Billy McMullen.
    Kolodjiez is a reasonable backup.
    Just when Harris has a season where he shows some flash, we let him go.
    Adding more holes to fill.

bigbadragz is offline Coordinator

"Purplexing" wrote:
    Welcome!
    Great post and detailed analysis !

I agree with almost everything.
    The exception is DE and CB.
    And, you forgot that Tony Richardson and Jeff Dugan are great/ solid HBs.

DE; none stood out last year, so the impact of EJames returning may help, but I'd like to see the Vikings add a top tier pass rusher in rd 2 to compete, and provide a hedge against EJames not being 100% effective in 2007.

CB: Devonte Edwards did well two years ago, and was injured late in the season.
    He was injured in the 2006 pre-season and was placed on the IR again.
    So, he is going to compete to start, with he and Griffin playing CB and Nickel CB, and with Gordon providing depth.

So, I don't think a CB needs to be drafted high this year.
    I prefer that the Vikings not draft a CB, and sign a camp cuts vet CB for depth.
    The 2008 draft can be used to draft a CB to groom to eventually replace Winfield, or be a nickel CB if Edwards or Griffin improve enough to take over for Winfield in a few years.

C: Birk is getting old, so I hope the Vikes test Cook at C during pre-season in case Birk is injured during the season.
    For that reason, it looks like Cook will be the RT by default, but I hope competition is signed or drafted.

CJohnson isn't going to be available at #7.
    That leads to an ideal situation of Quinn possibly falling to #7.
    I'm not convinced yet that TJackson is a capable pro QB, so upgrading with Quinn's potential makes complete sense.
    There will be many other options at WR later, but a talent like Quinn won't be available in round 2.
    Thus, choosing Quinn at #7 is a 'no-brainer'.
    i agree with everything except the quinn thing.
    i'm not completely sold on him and tavaris is an all around better athlete.
    for teh sake of value we may have to take him, as is true with peterson as someone else mattered.
    but the best option is to leverage that to trade out if they drop.
    but if we can't find a taker we are probably gonna have to take one of those guys if they are there.
    this kinda sucks just becuz it won't be an imediate impact in the sense of changing our team.
    quinn will be the equivalent of tjack cuz they are both virtual rookies, and peterson may be great, but we are in pretty good shape with chester so.
    it is interesting though cuz if they veiw peterson as like the next ladian tomlinson it's kinda hard to pass on that.
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast