Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Team Makeover: Special Edition

[size=18px]Team Makeover: Special Edition [/size]

By: Viking Update Staff
    Date: Mar 26, 2006

The changes around the Vikings organization began less than three months ago with the hiring of Brad Childress. But, just three weeks into free agency, the Vikings have a vastly different look than the team that closed out the 2005 season with a win over Chicago.

The Vikings have been an organization in flux for the last 13 months. Aside from a change in ownership, the coaching staff and the player personnel have both changed dramatically. Just three weeks into free agency, where some teams have added just a single player or maybe a couple, the Vikings have added 10 new players and re-signed another key contributor.

The changeover began last season. After the trade of Randy Moss, the Vikings got busy in free agency. On offense, they added quarterback Brad Johnson and wide receivers Koren Robinson and Travis Taylor. Defensively, the team added DT Pat Williams, linebackers Sam Cowart and Napoleon Harris (both via trades), cornerback Fred Smoot and safety Darren Sharper. Even the special teams got a boost with the signing of kicker Paul Edinger.

Not to be outdone, the 2006 signing period has yielding many more potential starters -- this time with an emphasis on offense. After re-signing K-Rob prior to the start of free agency, in the three weeks since, the team has added QB Mike McMahon, running back Chester Taylor, fullbacks Tony Richardson and Joey Goodspeed and guards Steve Hutchinson and Jason Whittle. On the defensive side of the ball, the team has added DE DeQuincy Scott, linebacker Ben Leber and safety Tank Williams. And, once again, the team has upped the ante at kicker, signing longtime Packer Ryan Longwell.

While the Vikings still have room to add a couple of more players if they choose to and still have several million in cap space remaining, the belief is that they have added a minimum of five new starters at their respective positions and as many as seven or eight when all is said and done. There is still some gnashing of teeth among Vikings fans that, like in the Moss deal, the team didn't get enough in return for Daunte Culpepper, but the focus on 2006 is clear. The coaching staff has been given the authority to bring in the players they want and need to be successful and that success will translate on the field. For a team that has been close to the playoffs each of the last three years, they're convinced at Winter Park that they've made the moves necessary to put the Vikings over the top this year.

SUNDAY NOTES

* With the owners meetings set to get underway, instant replay will again be a front-burner issue. With all the flaws that have been apparent in the system, if replay reverses one call that made incorrectly, it technically is a system that works and should be retained.

* Another issue at the owners meetings will be discussion of who will be the next commissioner and it seems that the political arena is getting much of the rumor-mongering. Aside from the Bush Administration's Condoleeza Rice being mentioned, the name of former President Bill Clinton has also surfaced as a possible candidate. It's turning more into Decision '06 than a hunt for a new commish.

* Vikings free agent linebacker Raonall Smith is in Green Bay this weekend to talk contract with the Packers.

* Word out of St. Louis is that the Rams are expecting Corey Chavous to be the leader of their defense. Nobody has ever questioned Chavous' football knowledge, but for an outsider to be asked to be the face of the defense and a leader in the locker room is a lot to expect from someone new to the team. But knowing Scott Linehan better than most is a step in the right direction

Team Makeover: Special Edition

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Vrehna is offline Rookie

Re: Team Makeover: Special Edition

Good report. He made a clear point that things are changing in Minnesota, not giving too much hype, or making too big of a deal on the Dante Trade.

Very concise.

Thank you for posting that.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I like the read because it just reinforces something I've been feeling for some time now.

We've been short of a true identity as a team, and I don't think it was going to come along soon without some changes.

I like the direction and changes we are dealing with, and I only wish our players and coaches can jell quickly now as a TEAM.

If we do, should be a good ride for us in 2006-2007

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Perch56 is offline Pro-Bowler

we didnt do anything in free angency yet, we got two good players. Hutch and tank

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"Perch56" wrote:
    we didnt do anything in free angency yet, we got two good players. Hutch and tank

That is your opinion!

I think the team went after the players they wanted, I guess they forgot to ask you.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Perch56" wrote:
    Most teams do not sign a whole load of superstar players; just a few in any. We signed one of the best Offensive Linemen and a good DB. Not to mention that we got a pretty good RB too.

I do not know what your expectations were, but it has been a pretty good offseason. The Hutch signing was huge; especially since Birk will be healthy.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

hopefully this'll be known as the year we drafted a superstar instead of signing one
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

about the new NFL commish possibilities, why would you even entertain Rice or Clinton. Someone in the realm of NFL would be better candidates.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

I for one am tired of everyone saying things like "we did NOTHING in free agency this year". Look at all the holes in our team that we've filled!!! In most situations, we have either filled a need or gotten someone who will create some healthy competition at certain positions.
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

"shockzilla" wrote:
    I for one am tired of everyone saying things like "we did NOTHING in free agency this year". Look at all the holes in our team that we've filled!!! In most situations, we have either filled a need or gotten someone who will create some healthy competition at certain positions.
    Right shock,

go on my thread...destiny...dynasty etc etc...youll find someone said the last option

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast